The Photography Thread

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Photography Thread

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:So wait.. you mean ta tell me when you were here,, with the kids, your wife was over there?

I just wanna know what you did to get in the doghouse.. :lol: and did you take photos? because I bet it was epic.
Her bestie took her on the cruise & payed for it because teh Wyfe helped her with a side business which did pretty well, apparently...

I splained all this @ the time, but it must have been lost among the awesomeness of the meetup.

:smoke:

Hyperactive 12 year olds are known to cause symptoms of ADD in adults. Or I didn't hear you over how loud teh awesome was.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Pentax is releasing a "clear" version of one of their DSLRs. A geek's dream? :love:

ImagePENTAX K-S2 test-1 by schaft9, on Flickr

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:15 pm

christianrock wrote:Pentax is releasing a "clear" version of one of their DSLRs. A geek's dream? :love:

Oh! How 80's of them! I love it :D

Remember this?

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:25 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:Pentax is releasing a "clear" version of one of their DSLRs. A geek's dream? :love:

Oh! How 80's of them! I love it :D

Remember this?

Yes. But the first thing that came to mind was this:

But of course, a camera is quite a bit more complex and interesting for us in geekdom :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:08 pm

christianrock wrote:[Image

I see your plain old acrylic guitar and raise you a NOT plain acrylic guitar, filled with pig's blood!

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Ummmmmm ok.

*pukes*
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:12 pm

That's Riggs. Rob Zombie's old guitarist. He used to play in a spin-off band called "Scum of the Earth." Sometimes, he would fill the guitar with liquor and drink from it during their sets - really cool idea, I think. Other times he would fill it with "blood" and occasionally dump it on himself during sets. The time I saw them locally, he was so trashed on stage that his playing was god awful.

But, I do like the idea. I'd fill one with the glowing liquid from glowsticks. Now, THAT would be coo.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Oh, but one thing, and to totally derail this thread even further, CR - what are your thoughts on Rob Zombie's current guitarist John5? IMO, he is one of THE most underrated guitarists. What do you think of him?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:22 pm

I think he's quite good. I liked him with Manson. He doesn't overplay, that's for sure, and he's always got the right sounds and plays well.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:37 pm

christianrock wrote:I think he's quite good. I liked him with Manson. He doesn't overplay, that's for sure, and he's always got the right sounds and plays well.

Yea. To me, that's the hallmark of a great guitarist - one that doesn't overplay but CAN. That dude can shred, but he does what fits the music. And let's face it: Neither Manson's nor Zombies music is complicated in the least.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:51 pm

I could shred (kinda) back when I practiced. Now that I never practice anymore, and would probably embarrass myself if I tried to play anything fast, that's my excuse - I could shred but I choose not to, to just play what fits the song :smoke: :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:58 pm

christianrock wrote:I could shred (kinda) back when I practiced. Now that I never practice anymore, and would probably embarrass myself if I tried to play anything fast, that's my excuse - I could shred but I choose not to, to just play what fits the song :smoke: :lol:

Haha.

Ever seen that series of vignettes called.. ah, damnit, I can't think of the name - it's something like "Betcha can't play this!" and it features different guitarists playing scales and things extremely fast in like 2-5 minute videos? It's an awesome series, and I wish I could actually remember the name.. :facepalm:

At any rate, John5 has been among the guitarists featured. He's good.

Me? I've NEVER been able to shred, which is fine, because I've never claimed to be or want to be a lead guitarist. I can play some easy solo type things, and of course I know my scales. But that kind of thing just isn't for me, because I'm not good at it.

This is about the best I can do. And I couldn't quite figure out the last little bit that's played kinda fast, so I just left it out. I can't be bothered with tablature. First time I've picked up my guitar to actually play it in MONTHS. I sorta nailed it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48199679/Music%20in%20Progress/Living%20on%20a%20Prayer.mp3

:smoke:

(actually, it's kinda lame, but it's fun!) (and I hope you don't mind the derail. I will stop posting offtopic stuff in here if you want).
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:55 pm

Hey, it's not my thread :lol: It was Metro's thread for Jyoti, a guy that used to come in here and also write columns for Metro's website.

No idea what happened to him...

That was a good lead on the Bon Jovi song by the way, spot on. No need to shred when you can make notes ring nicely :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 pm

I guess it's my thread now. ALL UR THREADS ARE BELONG TO ME

So.

Looking at the list of the most expensive photographs ever, I realize I have absolutely no clue about what makes a picture worth a lot of money. NO CLUE!!CAPSLOCK!!!!111!

http://mashable.com/2014/12/11/most-exp ... otographs/

I must be getting old cuz I think of Ansel Adams when I think of great photography...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:57 pm

christianrock wrote:Looking at the list of the most expensive photographs ever, I realize I have absolutely no clue about what makes a picture worth a lot of money. NO CLUE!!CAPSLOCK!!!!111!

Hmm...

You know, slot canyons like Antelope Canyon are actually pretty darn awesome scenic places of nature. But $6.5 million dollars will arrange a *lot* of trips to Antelope Canyon and get you your own pictures of the place. Which from Googling other people's images of Antelope Canyon pretty much looks exactly like that $6.5 million dollar photo.

(The Narrows in Zion remains one of my favorite family trip hikes, and we didn't even hike past the point where you need to actually wade. I'd love to revisit someday.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:15 pm

There was an article in the New York Times on how Peter Lik got that 6.5 million picture, it was more of a case of him using his connections and doing a one-print limited run, and someone thought it would be a good investment. Normally I think he does 999 runs of his images.

The other pictures, for the most part, are more representative of what "art photography" actually costs, as they are sold in art galleries as auctions to the highest bidders. Yet, funny enough, I think I like Peter Lik's 2 pictures in the list better than the rest of them, even though he is shunned by the galleries as not being actual art... :idk:

And I have people that I follow on flickr that I like better than any of these. Here's my flickr favorite list as of today... https://www.flickr.com/photos/11375085@N02/favorites
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:42 am

Nice flickr favorite list. :thu:

Some of the photographs are I think more pricey due to historical relevance (the Streichen and Stieglitz ones for instance). I admit that I liked Lik's stuff a lot more than the Gursky pics, which I understand are mostly impressive due to sheer size.

The others definitely have an Art vibe to them. The type best enjoyed over a glass of wine with a compellingly marketed backstory that tells you why you should enjoy this inexplicable picture.

I think I'll stick to that flickr favorite list and save x million dollars or so. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:34 pm

Indeed :smoke:

And quite a few of these flickr photogs that I follow, are completely unknown people. A great number are people I talk to in the Pentax forum, including some grandpas and grandmas who have been shooting with Pentax since it was the best selling brand in the world (i.e. the 60s and 70s).

Gursky - I like him and I think he's quite a trendsetter that people will be imitating (like you said, for sheer size and clarity). Which in turn will keep large format film photography alive... and yes I think he's done some awesome stuff. But that Rhein II pic? Please. I know it's not his fault that someone wanted to pay like 4 million dollars for it. But that's the least impressive pic of his I've ever seen... and since that Peter Lik pic might be a bit of shenannigans (completely private transaction handled by lawyers), it could very well be the most expensive picture ever, still.

Oh, and do something cool if you enjoy photography. Take some of those photographs in my favorites list - for instance, this one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bastian_k ... 75085@N02/

Put it on your big monitor, press "L" to see it take up pretty much the entire screen. And now feel like you're there. That's kind of what I look for in enjoying a landscape picture.

And this picture only has had 6 "likes" ever, including me. It was made with an old inexpensive lens I want to buy sometime this year, that's how I found it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:08 am

DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:25 pm

They have cameras with 52x and even 62x zooms now, called "bridge" cameras. I wonder if that's what this is.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:53 pm

It's a 60x optical zoom. I had the model number but I've forgotten it now.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.