Linear Sequencers?

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Linear Sequencers?

Postby christianrock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Hey, has any of you here made the step from pattern to linear sequencers?

The way my songs are structured, I can't really cut/paste stuff much, I think it would be counter-productive for pop-based songs (stuff like intro/verse/bridge/verse/bridge/chorus/intro/solo/verse/chorus, or other variations like that, where each verse and chorus is slightly different... etc)

Having decided to try out my Fusion's sequencer, if any of you has used linear sequencers in the past, I'm curious to know how you handled the experience... I think those old Yamaha QY sequencers that Puppy has used were linear, right? Oh well, I guess I'll find out next week when he's back...

:wave:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: Linear Sequencers?

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:13 am

Well there were several different QYs and I thought that maybe some of the more song-oriented ones were linear. But I didn't want to look them up one by one :rolleyes:

I do know there's been linear sequencers in the past. I'm sure Alesis didn't invent them...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:27 pm

I'm probably wrong.. but aside from the yamahas, I can't think of anything in a stand alone box that wouldn't be archaic to use. I"m sure there's a few out there, but the yamahas go for pretty cheap. :idk:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm not going to buy the Yamahas :lol:

I just wanted to know if anyone here ever worked with linear sequencers.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:21 pm

yea but they've all been software :cry:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:58 pm

I don't think I'm making myself understood...

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm going to be using the Alesis sequencer (when I'm done mixing my album, which is 40% done now) because I can't buy another sequencer.

If I were to buy another sequencer, it would depend on how much money I had.

200 dollars or so - RM1x
350 - Emu Command Station (Carbon was going to sell me his but I had to turn it down due to no cash)
500 - Roland MC-909 and I'd add an SRX card to it, probably World Collection (especially for percussion - I want to do a lot of percussion based stuff) and then later I'd also add SRX-03 Studio for the awesome drums and cool synth waves that it has.

In September, my sister and brother in law come to visit, that's when I was planning on buying the Emu from Carbon. But instead I'll have to take them out to places and spend that money on entertaining... then in October our baby is due... so that'll be it for gear until mid-2011 :) and that'll be it for studio time too, I think :lol: but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm actually excited about trying out the linear sequencer in a song context (my first impression just messing with it was very very awkward). 32 midi tracks, plus 8 audio tracks! it's a monster!!!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:56 pm

which one did carbon have? did he get rid of it?
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:21 pm

He wasn't in a rush to sell and it wasn't advertised AFAIK, so I'm pretty sure he still has it... it's the PX-7.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:35 pm

If I were to get a Yamaha sequencer, the RM1X would be it. I don't need the RS7000 sampler (my Fusion more than makes up for that), and I don't see the appeal of the QY700 as the RM1x is more powerful.

The Fusion's a mature product, the sequencer works fine, bugs aren't a problem anymore. The only problem is that they never added all the features people wanted (pattern sequencing, external hard drives, etc).

I'm sure this will even affect my song writing some. I even think in patterns :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 pm

for the price of a Gaia you could have had a Fusion ;)

The decision's been made by the way, I HAVE to stick to the Fusion's sequencer. No money available for anything new (or used). I'll be lucky if I don't have to sell something by the end of the year.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Indeed :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:35 pm

I know I'm not spending any more money on music stuff this year but I keep reading on the MC-909 and now I haz a GAS :mad:

MS, have you given thought to those? They can be found for not much more than the Command Stations, and they seem like a lot of fun. I know there's stuff you didn't like about the 505 but this seems like a different beast for the most part, and all those knobs and sliders are just :love:

Why must I have GAS :cry:

Oh well maybe once I get used to 40-TRACK LINEAR SEQUENCERS I won't GAS for anything else anymore :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby topcat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:04 pm

yes, I've used the linear sequencer on my Ensoniq VFX-SD.

I always found it great for sketching ideas for a song, but for the most part I usually found the sum of the parts to sound a bit stiff.
I never quantized and recorded in real time, but the stiffness could have just been me. :idk:
topcat

Postby christianrock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Yeah the stiffness isn't the fault of linear sequencing, that's for sure :lol:

I guess I'll survive...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby topcat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:01 pm

christianrock wrote:Yeah the stiffness isn't the fault of linear sequencing, that's for sure :lol:
I guess I'll survive...

You'll be fine.
Sometimes when we are forced to use what we already have, cool stuff happens. Yeah, even magic. :smile:
topcat

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:52 am

I used a Roland MC50mkII for years. At the time I thought it was pretty awesome. After I had the accident with the SY55 I gave up on working that way. In fact I gave up anything with MIDI for almost twenty years. I'm using all but one of midi cables in my current set up, and I hadn't used any of them since 1994.
ClavAnother

Return to KSS