New Gear Thread 10/14

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

New Gear Thread 10/14

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:33 pm

I just bought Valhalla DSP Shimmer. I thought you should know. :snax:

and just cause we haven't had a new gear thread in ages.. :grin:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: New Gear Thread 10/14

Postby christianrock » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Congrats. Tell us all about it. Do a post in the front page. If there's a front page.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:51 pm

what front page :idk:

This month it should be.. my friend. What gear have you, I say?
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:54 pm

I got an offer from uad to get 6 plugs for $800

it sounds like a lot of money but really each of the plugs i want is $300-350

I'm looking at these:
- neve pre amp
- fairchild collection
- millennia nseq-2
- culture vulture
- api channel strip
- ams reverb

(I would save around $1000)

I was looking at ssl alpha link converters (24 in and 24 out, adat). they were pretty cheap but kinda overkill unless I want to get a mixer again. it's hard to justify mixers when plug-ins are almost as good as the high end gear they emulate

there was a guy selling a peluso 2247 le mic for $1400. it's based on the neumann u47 and has an 'authentic' german nos tube. I tried to low ball him a bit as his asking price is too high for my budget at the moment. if it's still available on my next days off I might get it

out of the three options I'm leaning towards the uad plug-ins for now
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:19 pm

ooo, Neat, Metro. Do give a review, please.

My Near Gear of 2014 consists of:
- Sonar X3
- ???
- no profit whatsoever.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:02 am

I got this on the way to Fla. It is not a music thingy.

The APS-C crop factor makes it 120-480mm.

Zoom zoom.
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:57 am

@metro
the valhalla dsp plugs are all pretty awesum from what i've heard & read

i tried übermod it was dopenoodles. the wideness and drive controls were nice additions

the pitch shifting in shimmer was cool

there was an offer in my inbox for eventides new reverb plug-in for $80. i was very tempted but i think it expired
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:01 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:ooo, Neat, Metro. Do give a review, please.

ehhhhhhhh yea *cracks knuckles* Since I work in education, I have a full copy of camtasia and I've been wanting to do a screen cap demo or even live music making with it. :grin:
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I got this on the way to Fla. It is not a music thingy.

The APS-C crop factor makes it 120-480mm.

Zoom zoom.

Cool. I have the similar Tamron (70-300) which is actually a Tamron/Nikon design. It's my kids sports lens, and I've actually gotten good baby on the grass type pics from it as well. On APS-C, these lenses are cool for birding, as long as the birds aren't too small...

I think I'll sell a lens this week and will finally get the wide angle manual focus prime I've been wanting to get. Probably a Tokina or Cosina 24mm, I doubt I'll have the money for an actual Pentax 24mm. I *might* be able to swing the Tokina/Vivitar 17mm 3.5 that keh.com has. We'll see. That would be sweet.

Music-wise, I'm looking at upgrading my Maschine to 2.0 so I can get the new interface and the new drum synth. But I'm gonna wait for one of their fire sales to do it...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:40 am

I picked up a Novation Launchpad Mini about a month ago. Does that count?
midinut

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:46 am

Yes, it counts! Now tell us all about it.

:smoke:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 am

Oh yeah, that's right...I got a G&L ASAT Carved Top, a TC Flashback delay, a TC Mic Mechanic, and a TC H1.

The H1 has a setting where you pass your guitar signal through it, and it modifies the harmonies with whatever you play. The response is fast enough to add harmonies on the fly. It's cool. I have not tried to pass a keyboard through it yet, but it would be cool if it could keep up with that.

I might have picked up moar gear too, but I'd have to go look...

Oh wait, I got a crown x4000 or something, which is a like 1350w per SIDE at 8 ohmygoshes

PS, and a pair of TC mics, they are good, if a little bass heavy.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:31 pm

Someone's in a buying spree... good for you, man :) That tele sounds sweet.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:49 pm

midinut wrote:I picked up a Novation Launchpad Mini about a month ago. Does that count?

Yes, why dont you tell me all about I picked up a Novation Launchpad Mini. That sounds like interesting fun.
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:17 am

I pulled the trigger today on sum uad plug-ins at the eleventh hour

I got 6, the neve pre, culture vulture, ams verb, api channel strip, fairchild collection and ssl channel strip. I think there are similar options on the ssl from waves, etc but since I'm already in it I might as well get the uad.

this way I can use the slate console emulations (neve, api & ssl) with the neve, api & ssl uad channel strips. for me this kills any misguided gas for a real console as I will have multiple flavours and have to spend 5 or 6 figures to really best these combinations
gregwar

Postby midinut » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:57 am

I have only thus far plugged it into my iPad Air via the CCK. Works great that way. I have not had the time yet to try to muck around with the Ableton Lite version that came with it. Coming from heavy Cubase usage I'm still trying to get my head around the Live way of working. It's gonna take one getting used to (adjustment).
midinut

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:56 pm

What was your primary reason for buying it? Or what did you want to do with it, eventually?
MetroSonus

Postby midinut » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:58 am

Well, first off, the thing that inspired me about figuring about Ableton was this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SH4g4F ... gfs95pJrWg.

I saw it a while back and thought I'd like to work like that. He is using an Akai APC40 but I was able to grab the Launchpad Mini for $85 and figured it does 90% of what the APC does. I am part of a duo act with a Guitarist/Singer and thought if I build up tracks for us to play live, then using Ableton and the Launchpad/APC would be a great way to trigger scenes, such as Intro, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus, Outro. Plus you would have the freedom and ability to replay or stay on a scene if you wanted to vamp over it or extend a section live.

In addition, the way he was working with the built-in sounds (IIRC he is using the full Live Suite with all their built in VSTs) appeals to me very much. When I'm recording in Cubase I tend to create a shitload of 4, 8, and 16 bar loops anyway. I seem to remember a discussion here or another forum about being the king of 4 and 8 bar loops. I then keep the ones worth developing further and mold them into ambient/chill kind of background textures that I can have a blast noodling over top of with solo voices. It's the same writing process that led me to create my first CD (I think the link to it is in my sig). I had a Korg Karma and upgraded to a M3 because sometimes those Combination grooves using Karma inspired me to create things. When that happened, I just ran with it. Purest may argue that I'm "cheating", but I say that the first thing I learned about music was to recognize a hook, or motif, or groove that I couldn't get out of my head. I don't see how this method of song construction is any different than accidently stumbling across a killer phrase and then building on it. Anyway, that is the long version of why I became interested in tackling a controller with Ableton. Hope that made sense.

I apologize for getting on the soapbox about songwriting and originality. In my Music class last night we were discussing Mellotrons and one girl felt that using a Mellotron was "cheating". Needless to say, it opened up a can of worms. Carry on my wayward sons (and daughters @ PC).

:smoke:
midinut

Postby midinut » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:31 am

On another completely different note, those of you who noticed the Sonic State piece on the upcoming Electribe, whaddaya think? It's said that is has the innards of the KingKorg in it, as in a KK module. If so, it could be a cheap way to add another very powerful VA engine to the Kronos. Just thinking out loud. Thoughts? Comments? Directions to the asylum?
midinut

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:48 pm

That's exactly what live is good for. And don't have feels over "loops". Everything is loops.. Does the drummer, keyboarder or guitarist do the same thing more than once? IT"S A LOOP :mad: :lol:

I think guitarists and "band" people prefer to play everything through rather than record it into blocks. I always thought it was weird that they'd use cubase to record into and I'd always see that same casio sitting there that they used as a drum machine. "Fruity loops? Ableton? Naw man that's all loops". :idk:

It's just a different work flow.. nothing wrong with either. And nothing wrong with using other things for inspiration either. It's always been weird to be how people get hung up on stuff like that. I recall an interview where Phil Collins used some stock presets / arps from the Karma on the lion king sound track? And famously, how Howard Jones choose to use Arturia JP8V and the factory sound card rather than lug his real JP8 around on tour.. I mean, if these people don't care and most importantly their fans, why do people get hung up on stuff?

That's worth mulling over. :smoke:

I aim to get a launchy myself and now novation is also making the XL, which is a launch pad sized mixer companion. We live in good times my friend..
MetroSonus

Next

Return to KSS