skool

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

skool

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:33 pm

I'ma make a new topic so I don't clutter up other FASCINATING THREADS with my tales of scholarly woe. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only active student, so Hey! Talk about school here!

Yeah.

So this month, I have to write YET ANOTHER FREAKIN' PAPER. The twist this time is that it's a research paper. Oh joy. I hate these kinds of assignments because the requirements are too squishy. I have to pick a topic that's not so broad that it would take a book to explore it, yet, I can't narrow it down too much, or I won't find any relevant research. BLARG.

And as usual (of late), there's something due every night, it seems. It's only been 2 months, and already I'm tired.

But I'm going to do this, dammit. :mad:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Re: skool

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:04 am

fuk school :wave:
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:36 am

We doan nede no ejukashun. Noar du we nede no thot cuntroal.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Paging Midinut. Paging Mr. Midinut, school complaints in aisle 5.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:33 pm

too cool for skool -------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:33 pm

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby midinut » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:33 pm

He I iz ...

Just got word today that the VA is going to allow me to change my major (Yayz). I have been flunking PreCalculus Algebra since week one of this semester. I tried tutoring and they told me I shouldn't be in that class. I've fought tooth and nail to try to make it work but no way Jose! I really need way more remedial classes than I have taken already ((and barely passed).Being a computer science major I was going to have to take 2 levels of Calculus, 2 levels of Trig, and 2 levels of statistics to get that degree. Wasn't gonna happen. I dropped back and punted. Went to Career Services, took the Myers-Brigg test, the Strong Personality Inventory, and they suggested I may want to consider getting into Training & Development. So I called up our 4 year college that I'm planning to transfer to and they suggested I finish up an Assocate in Arts and then transfer (I had planeed to transfer next semester becasue the school wanted you in their computer classes as soon as possible). Now I just need to pick a new major that would prepare me for a job in Training & Development. I already have over 15 years of experience in the classroom delivering software training (Office, Web Design, Graphics, Project Management, Accounting, etc.) so I shouldn't need to do a lot of internships. So the school recommended a Bachelor in either Communication Studies, English, Psychology, Sociology, or Business Management. I have less than a week to decide before I meet with my case worker. I wondered about a music degree, but I'm not sure I could pass the audition. I don't read music. There, I said it. I play by ear. I've released one CD and have 2-3 more on the burner ready to copyright and release. I am taking a Music Fundamentals class (Intro to Theory) this semester and loving it. I may call the music department head and ask about the audition requirements. I am learning to read (slowly) but know I would flop if they put a piece of music in front of me and expected me to sight read it. Then again, I'm also not sure whether the VA would approve a music degree. After all, the goal is to "get a job" when I'm done. lol

So that about catches you up on my shenanagins for now. Any advice, commentary, opinions, suggestions are welcome and appreciated as always! I return you now to your regularly scheduled program ...
midinut

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:41 pm

I was just reading a post elsewhere from a guy who dropped out of the 4th year of med school (!!!!) to try (!!!!) to be a professional photographer.

I've been thinking, when I finally retire, I'll do lots of recording and take lots of picture. Maybe I should still try and do more of these things sooner - so I'm changing musical directions again and will try to do another album, this time in collaboration with 1 or 2 people.

What does that have to do with school? Well. midinut, what would you like to do when you retire? Maybe go to school for that, and do it as a profession before you retire. If that is possible!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Well, I'm 55 now. So by the time I'm done wif skool I'll be pushing 60ish (especially if'n I try to get in a Master's). Wifey and me plan to buy a RV and travel the US, Canada, and Alska, taking pictures and writing music to go with said pictures. She does genealogy so as long as you drop her off at a cemetary once in awhile she's cool with all dat! I got her a new Canon DSLR for Xmas and she's getting interested more in photography too. I scored high in interest in Photography on my Strong. My counselor said she took several photography courses as electives while she was getting her degree becasue they were much cheaper than normal classes. I think I'd enjoy learning more about my T4i.
midinut

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Well then make photography at least a minor :) Make school enjoyable for you...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Not a bad idea. I look into that. Thanks CR !
midinut

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Hey, Midi! :wave: I'm majoring in computer science RITE NAO. Actually, no, I'm getting the remainder of my gen-ed classes out of the way first. CS classes probably starting next year. Thankfully, the university accepted all my old credits (!), and they were predominately all GE stuff, so I *should* be done with those in only 4 more classes or so. WOOOO

I sure hope they don't expect me to remember my calculus, though. I'll be doomed. :lol: I picked up a bunch of books on college algebra and I was brushing-up on it a couple of months back. Most of it came back to me, but... not all of it. Use it or lose it, eh?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:11 pm

I'm going to do a certification exam in PMI-ACP - does that count?
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:39 pm

I don't know what PMI-ACP is... but I'll give you a thumbs-up :thu: anyway! :wave:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 pm

PMI=Project Management stuff. It means BonsoWonderBoss is moving on up.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 pm

christianrock wrote:PMI=Project Management stuff. It means BonsoWonderBoss is moving on up.

Oooh, I see. I find this acceptable.

Make it so.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby midinut » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 am

My math episodes started way back in Jr/Sr High School. I never passed Algebra 1 after 2-3 tries at it. Of course that also means I never had a Geometry class either. Fast forward 30 years. When I started back, my placement tests tested me out of English so I was good there but math I had to take 2 remedial algebra classes. The first one I didn't do too bad, but the second one I passed by the hair of my chinny chin chin, and damn sure didn't retain nor understand enough of it to be ready for Pre Calc Algebra. I'm doing great in most of the rest of my classes, and know I'm not completely stupid, but every day in this class I feel like a real dumbass. And of course it pisses me off that I can't understand it. I loved teaching and training and with my experience just figured that Computer Science would be the path of least resistance. I think Training & Development will still be a good fit and won't require anything more than basic College Algebra. Plus, according to the Occupational Handbook, they make pretty good $$. After being unemployed since 2008, I've got a shitload of retirement money I need to replenish. I plan on spending the summer on the Khan Academy website boning up on my math before trying it again. School is really cool though (except for being the oldest person in the class - lol). Scenery sure is nice!
midinut

Postby midinut » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:20 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:I'm going to do a certification exam in PMI-ACP - does that count?

Good luck with that. Wishing you the best of luck!
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:40 am

midinut wrote:I have been flunking PreCalculus Algebra
Dude... r u me or wut? The arithmetics are totally what's kept me from going back for my bach in EE. I hate thems. I suc exponentially at thems. I squint suspiciously @ those who think they are teh funs.

midinut wrote:I'm also not sure whether the VA would approve a music degree. After all, the goal is to "get a job" when I'm done. lol
I dunno, someone has to teach drum n bugle corps.

When I was a chile, my brother-in-law joined Teh Guard to avoid Teh Nam. He was a kickass clarinetist and ended up leading/conducting the local Guard Band. I heard them several times & they were all pretty kickass actually. But it's not hard to deduce the source of their incentive, is it?
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:10 pm

I made it as far as Calculus II when I was a meteorology major. I barely skimmed through with a "C" average. Thus ended my meteorologist career. Too much math n physics involved, so I dumbed it down and went with Geography and Geology (maj/min, respectively).

I don't see myself going back to school, ever. But who knows what the future may bring?

As long as it's not more maths, I'll be fine.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Next

Return to The Hang Out.