My DAW considerations thread.

Keyboards, Synths, Samplers and Groove Boxes.

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: My DAW considerations thread.

Postby soundwave106 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:23 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Wouldn't you prefer flat cans for mixing?

You actually don't. You want a frequency response that is *perceived* to be the frequency response of flat speakers. Which, because you are placing speakers so close to your ears, is surprisingly not that flat. (The term for this I believe is "diffuse field equalized".)

Honestly, I have a helluv a time mixing on headphones. I do have a couple of pairs of cans to reference check the mix though.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Tue May 21, 2013 5:46 pm

soundwave106 wrote:

You actually don't. You want a frequency response that is *perceived* to be the frequency response of flat speakers. Which, because you are placing speakers so close to your ears, is surprisingly not that flat. (The term for this I believe is "diffuse field equalized".)

Honestly, I have a helluv a time mixing on headphones. I do have a couple of pairs of cans to reference check the mix though.

Percieved flat. Yea, that! :lol:

I do my mixing mainly on my monitors, but I always give a listen more than a few times through cans. Actually, I listen to my mixes on damn near as many sound systems as I can. But mostly thru my monitors, the crappy desktop speakers at work, and in my car. lol
Last edited by selfinflikted on Tue May 21, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Tue May 21, 2013 5:47 pm

gregwar wrote:..but I don't think he put insurance on it.

:eek:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm

well I called the parcel tracking lady and they tracked it to their own warehouse !1 I guess it was sitting there all along but the paperwork was lost or something :facepalm:

so I picked it up, plugged it in and it works :love:

I noticed the foam packed around it was kinda trashed but other than one small bump/scratch area it seems to be intact, all teh knobs werk, etc

ZOMG V-SYNTH :jam:
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm

about my busted up beats headphones I wouldn't describe them as 'flat' they have the good ol disco smile eq with super hyped bass & treble

I don't find it harsh or fatiguing but with really bright stuff like skrillex it can be a bit much. if u listen to dr dre's beats on them they sound incredible
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Poast v-synth clippies, G-WAR, I'd like to hear what you do with it.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed May 22, 2013 3:12 am

I like curvy cans.

And I cannot lie.

gregwar wrote:ZOMG V-SYNTH :jam:
Woot!
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 am

well first impressions of the v-synth gt is that i really like the sound and there are some amazing presets. i plugged a mic into the vocal designer and was making some wild choir pads lol. i'm gonna try running my voicemail from my phone through it lol

initially i was having a problem making an aggregate device. this is where you can combine 2 or more audio interfaces into one for your daw. the apollo, fantom g and v-synth gt all count as separate audio interfaces, so i made an aggregate of all three.

on my laptop (osx 10.6) u decide what order you want. so for example i'd normally have the apollo as inputs 1-32 and tack the fantom and v-synth on last (inputs 34-35 and 35-36). but 10.8 decides what order it wants and apparently you can't change it :facepalm:

apparently hacking the .plist (i think its like xml code or something ?) is the only way to change the order of the devices. since i don't want to break anything the fantom will stay input 1-2, the apollo is 3-34 and the v-synth is input 35-36.

after looking around this is a recent cluster f*ck from osx 10.7 or 10.8 since like i said on my laptop in 10.6 its a non-issue. i got a work-around with logics main out switched from 1-2 (fantom) to 3-4 (1-2 of the apollo) but some people were reporting it screwed up their entire live performance setup :idk:

still, i'll take usb midi & audio with colour touch screens and osx 10.8 drivers over my old motu clockworks bs any day with like 2-3 editor/librarians that each had weird 'secret handshakes' for each hardware synth. midi quest just never worked very well and sound diver was discontinued when apple bought emagic.

the only other semi-peculiar thing was that the digital outputs of the v-synth gt (coax & adat) go up to 96k but its usb audio only supports 44.1k at 24 bits. i'm ok with that since its the same for the fantom g and mixing 96k, 44.1k and whatever else in an aggregate device is a bad idea.

the whole point of the usb audio and aggregate device for me is to keep everything in the digital domain. i might go 96k over the digital outputs if i thought it would be an improvement. well there's still a lot to figure out since the v-synth is incredibly deep as is the fantom g
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:32 pm

here's a brief update on the 'tv as daw' thing

the slate raven looks pretty cool but i imagine it will be priced out of most people's budgets

what i've found with 1080p resolution is that its pretty good for up close viewing but i really think 4k will be better for a number of reasons. the icons, faders, buttons, etc will be sharper and the screen size can be bigger

i've been able to resize most of the folders, app icons, etc on the 40" screen and make them smaller so it feels like i have more 'pixels' on such a large display but where this doesn't work is with logic's plug-in guis. this isn't so bad because having a larger gui would enable finer tuning especially of cramped interfaces like ultrabeat

i could still get a touch screen for my 40" but the problem is music computing and apple only support one touch, so no multi-touch. there are daws like sonar x2 and pretty much everything windows that support multi-touch on all metro apps and apparently 'desktop' apps since i assume sonar x2 is a desktop app

i'm glad that sonar x2 'feels natural' but i don't know how thats possible on an ultrabook :facepalm: maybe with a stylus lol

i'm ok with the ipad 1 and v-control, it seems like the best half-way measure for now but really there needs to be multi-touch enabled on a large touch screen like a tv. the current crop of macbook pros and mac minis don't really support 4k. the cost of them is pretty high even for a budget seiki 50" tv at $1500.

the hdmi 2.0 isn't available yet and frame rates are stuck at 24 or 30 fps. with movies and whatnot its not that important but when a computer is connected to the tv having 50 or 60 fps and double the throughput could in theory make it feel more responsive for touch.

does any of this matter ? i recently went to best buy and checked out one of the $8000 4k tvs beside a 1080p tv and really couldn't tell that much of a difference. similar with the 15" retina macbook pro beside a non-retina 15" model (at first i wasn't sure which was which, i had to look into system prefs lol)

speaking of latency v-control has the ability to see the plug-in gui on the ipad and make adjustments directly on the virtual knobs/sliders. the problem is it uses mirrored display technology and always lags behind by enough milliseconds to be quite noticeable. music computing states the delay is 7-12 milliseconds which is better but still not 100% of the way there.

tl;dr i'm impatient and want a 50" 4k multi-touch daw nao but must settle for 1080p, single touch and pixelation at up close viewing distances
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:03 am

gregwar wrote:apple only support one touch, so no multi-touch.
Y that? Because it evolved from this?

Those touch apps are cool. The SONAR one looked as if the demonstrators were deliberately moving slowly, like maybe if they went too fast it got flakey. The Raven didn't look as if it had that problem; it seemed very responsive to quick gestures.

The Steven Slate audio sucked eggs, though, didn't it? Sounded like someone's kitchen in there. You'd think he would use a better tie clip mic, or fixxor his base tarps.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:31 pm

I just played with a MS Surface pro. 1.7 X 2, 4G Ram. It's a bit thicker than I thought, but I think it's totally do able as a portable music workstation / laptop. I"m supposed to get one soon through work and I could definitely see running a small controller and Live on it.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Wooo I'd be interested in how that setup works out
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:48 pm

yea me too. I could see dropping some beats in the bathroom.. heh heh heh.

Once I get mine, I'll updates. :)
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:01 pm

I wonder if a more pro tablet like the Surface, along with a good touchscreen based groove software, will change the way electronic music is made.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 pm

maybe. Given the right software. Once I get it I'll have to get Live on it and try it out.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Ok, so this weekend I started my first serious song recording with my new setup since I abandoned the tape multitrack and the huge desk. I'm done (I think) with all the recording and now it's on to mixing and "mastering" - meaning, basically the best job I can do considering I"m not a ME.

I'm in a bit of a hurry because I'm submitting the song to a local Christian radio contest. So it's not going to be anything too fancy.

So, here's my conclusions so far:

. I'm not using as many tracks as I thought I would, thanks to Maschine. All the midi is done in Maschine and audio tracks in Reaper.
. I have not even tried the Novation Zero II. I figured it will take me longer to set it up to use in Reaper than it takes me to change stuff with the trackpad.
. My new Carvin tube microphone did pretty good on acoustic guitar and on the main vocals. I was impressed at how "round" everything sounds, though I'm sure there's better microphones out there. This didn't make me sound bad. No EQ has been required for it to sit nicely on the track.
. The trusty Sennheiser MD441 excelled at backing vocals and I could probably have used it for the main vocals too, though it would need EQ.
. Reaper is fast to do stuff with and very intuitive. Whenever I need to find out how to do something I just fuss with it and find out. No manual required.
. Reaper handles Maschine perfectly as a VST. Also, both programs being 64bit,
. Reaverberator has been my nicest surprise. I needed some reverb on parts and I haven't bought a dedicated reverb VST yet, so I tried Reaverb (MEH) and Reaverberator (YAY).
. DC8C compressor is the bees knees.

Now the gripes

. Maschine is NOT as intuitive. Whenever I needed to do something I had to look online and find out how others were doing it. Eventually though, I was able to do what I wanted and it's probably the best "drum machine" software with dedicated hardware controller. But I doubt many people are using it like I am (to do actual songs), as I think it's a bit too complex.
. Also, Maschine is buggy. God knows how long I have spent because it randomly changes settings, especially the size of patterns. Like, each group has its own pattern size but to make things easy on me, all patterns in a scene have the same size. Well and behold, Maschine several times decided it did not like that and changed the size of one of them, bringing it out of sync with the others.
. Maschine has a very, very limited selection of patches to use from Komplete. The "Komplete Integration" between Maschine and the rest of the NI software isn't going as well as I thought. Yeah I can open Kontakt, for example, as a VST under Maschine - but no, I can't do that because then I won't be able to open Maschine as a VST in Reaper!!
. Guitar Rig 5 effects are MEH. I can't believe people brag about them online. Metallic reverbs, and kinda digital sounding chorus and flanges. The NI compressors also didn't work that great for me. Meh. But I could be doing something wrong, of course.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:46 am

christianrock wrote:I"m not a ME.
Well then, just who are you? I don't even see anyone there, just a blank space talking.

christianrock wrote:Maschine is NOT as intuitive. But I doubt many people are using it like I am (to do actual songs)...buggy...very limited selection of patches
Sounds similar to my gripe about mechadrums in general: I know exactly what I want, but they never have beetz that are even close to what I hear in my head. Druther just play em mah self.

christianrock wrote:GeetarRig sux
I like it, but I've not spent years plinkering about with geetar tones like most geetarists do.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:18 pm

That's interesting about guitar rig. Plenty of people made it seem like the go to thing for really toughening up synths and things.

NI has a new set of compressors and other mastering stuff. I thought the demos sounded pretty good.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... mpressors/

Do you think these are built on the same technology?
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Hmm. And here I was kinda toying with the idea of getting Maschine at some point, but "unintuitive" pushes that over back over the "meh" line for me.

And I agree; Guitar Rig sux. I tried to use it as a way to mangle some synth sounds, and I came away going... "meh".

finally, in conclusion: Meh.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:10 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Hmm. And here I was kinda toying with the idea of getting Maschine at some point, but "unintuitive" pushes that over back over the "meh" line for me.

I know! I was considering this too, especially since CR once gave Maschine an apparent two thumbs up.

The truth will set your gas free.
selfinflikted
Down in it

PreviousNext

Return to KSS