The Photography Thread

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The intro to DSLR thread with your host - Jyoti

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:47 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>GO WEST
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>GO WEST

Can't. Mah belly's stuck in a twisty little passage.

:mad:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:24 am

See that was poasted on Saturday after Thanksgiving when all us Merkins stuff ourselves silly for several days in a row and if I had really been in some twisty little passages mah expanded belly would of got stuck in there and it woudn't have been possible for me to go west or any other direction so that's why it's sort of funny I think anyway and dammit i still really want one of those cameras really really bad but it's not looking good right now and when the hell is ClavaNorthern going to come back anyway how are you Jyoti and all you other lot what is up thank you I thank you!
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:31 pm

So here I reaise this thread from the dead.

Anyway, I'm thinking about buying a Nikon D3200. I like that I can get it refurbished with the lens for under 500 online. So I guess 500 is my budget.
Supposedly image quality is the same as the new D7100. Same sensor, etc. Just not as pro-feature /interface oriented. And that Nikkor 18-55mm VR lens is supposed to be pretty good and tailor-made to the DX sensor in the Nikon line.

I think it's either that, or an older larger sensor Canon. Any suggestions or thoughts?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:14 am

christianrock wrote:Any suggestions or thoughts?

canon. i started with the rebel with like a whole 5 or 6 mp and upgraded to a ti2 around 2010. both were bought second hand and under $500 with a few lenses, etc.

i'm planning to get a black magic camera for video stuff and the lenses are interchangeable

photo by greg_war, on Flickr

also, i'm a fanboy and don't like nikon lol
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:48 am

I like Nikon but the wyfe came with two Canons and lots of lenses/attachments that still work with my T3i. It's hard to get off the old upgrade treadmill, ya know?

And anyway, I think there's less difference in the quality of the two brands than there used to be.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Well we are using a D7000 that my mother in law bought to take back to Brazil with her, for my brother-in-law - she's here helping with the baby until middle of next week. My wife absolutely loves it and it does take great pics. So we don't mind Nikon at all. Usually people who started 15-20 years ago love Canon because back then Nikon wasn't really that great. It's probably the same with Sony now, Sony's catching up and they come up with some cool innovations, but people still think of it as inferior to Canon and Nikon. Most of it has to do with the lenses but they are catching up.

I am considering the older Canons but here's the thing, if I buy my music stuff that my wife doesn't care about, I'll go to the used market and all I get is the old rolleye. However since this is for *us* then if I get something used I'm probably picking up a fight. She hates getting used stuff. It's probably a woman thing... So considering we settled on a budget of 500 or so I think the D3200 is my best bet.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Jyoti wrote:Image

What kind of sorcery is this I don't even

or, does anyone know what kind of lenses are used to get this effect?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:23 pm

http://lensbaby.com/lenses

also, intro video:
http://lensbaby.com/videos-instructional

i'm sure there's more than one way to do this but lensbaby kind of specializes in it

they make canon and nikkon lenses (as well as sony, samsung, olympus, pentax, etc)

and yes, not to be sexist or whatevs but generally chicks love cameras more than music gear
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Greg - cool, I assume those are for Canon though?

Well mr. Plinkster, how are you liking your T3i? Best Buy right now has it down to 399 from the regular 599 price, with the 18-55 lens.

I kind of think the D3200 would be better (1.5x crop instead of 1.6x in the Canon, and also 24.1mega pixels vs 18). USAToday thinks the D3200 beats the T3i as well. But Canon users usually think there's some magic in there somewhere that just makes it better than Nikon, lol
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Lytro
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:41 am

christianrock wrote:Well mr. Plinkster, how are you liking your T3i? Best Buy right now has it down to 399 from the regular 599 price, with the 18-55 lens.
I lubs it. I haven't got to use it as much as I'd like, but I'm getting more used to it. I know the shutterslutz dis the frame size, but it's more than I'll ever need (pix count too). I'm glad I didn't get the T2i, because the 3 has the FlexoMatic Viewscreen. I would hate to do without that.

My only gripe is: it's so big! It's weird, because I used to shlepp 35mm film cams & extra lenses around without a thought. Probably got spoiled by all the PS pocketcams I've had. The vastly superior pic quality makes it worth it, though.

I finally found a comfy way to bag it around. I put a padded shoulder strap on a belly bag SLR holster and rock it like Spock.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:41 pm

I think it was a glitch. Yesterday I tried putting it in my cart and it would show 599 as the price, no matter what I did. Today it's no longer in the list. I guess if I had called them yesterday they might have sold it for 399, but I wasn't sure I wanted to commit. Plus, buying at the Best Buy site means shipping + tax and I'd end up with a price similar to the D3200 anyway.
It's cool though, I think I like the Nikon better anyway. Nikon seems to have the upper hand on the entry level side of the market nowadays.

Re: Lytro - what the heck is that camera?? User interface doesn't really seem a concern :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Ok so I'm pretty skeptical on the Lytro. It's not cheap considering the sensor size is smaller than a point and shoot, and only slightly bigger than the iphone's. It's a toy.

Mind you, the APS-C which is the external frame in this pic, is not the full size frame, but it's the one found in most consumer and prosumer Nikon, Sony and Panasonic SLR cameras. The Canon version of it (as in the T3I) is a bit smaller.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:I finally found a comfy way to bag

FANNY PACK

also flexomatic is winrar
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Hey, if it's good enuff for mah hero MetroSatchel, I'm down wid it.

That one is his, right?
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:49 pm

I cant be fabulous without it!
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:35 am

Don't you mean

:ahem:

FAAAAAAAAAAAbulous!?

Besides, mine's an officnial certified slutzy sort of SLR bag suggesting no fabularity whatsoever.

Let me show you it:

Manly, aye?
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 pm

Since I've been getting into airsoft with my son, I've got to say I'm really digging the tactical and molle stuff. Have you guys considered it for camera bags and accessories? They make a huge variety of messenger bags & backpacks that are compatible with tons of molle accessories and there's literally tons of various sized pouches and stuff. I mean really, if I can find a tactical inhaler pouch, I"m sure you guys can find something for your cameras :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:23 am

What happened to Jyoti, anyhoo?
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.