Other people's music

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Other people's music

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:28 am

Liberace was ghey? :eek:

And I submit that Walter and Wendy could be classified as a person and a group, depending on how broadly you view the timeline of human existence. And besides, he/she/them is not the correct answer.

Quiz: I heard the first question when I was playing a cheesy DVD trivia game with some friends the other day.

It was The Monkees, LOL!

Mickey bought one of the first modulars from the Dr. M. It was played by Paul Beaver on the album "PISCES, AQUARIUS, CAPRICORN & JONES LTD", released 11/67. (SOB was released in late 1968.)

Later when I was verifying this seemingly ludicrous 'fact', I learned that the first Billboard Top Forty Moog single was...

(Boy are you gonna be surprised!).

:drumroll:

Tell me life isn't full of sprizes. :lol:

The lead phrases in this song remind me very much of someone else's playing. Anyone else have that feeling?
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:17 am

Liberace was ghey? :eek:

Who'd have thought it? :lol:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby topcat » Sun May 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Liberace was ghey? :eek:

And I submit that Walter and Wendy could be classified as a person and a group, depending on how broadly you view the timeline of human existence. And besides, he/she/them is not the correct answer.

Quiz: I heard the first question when I was playing a cheesy DVD trivia game with some friends the other day.

It was The Monkees, LOL!

Mickey bought one of the first modulars from the Dr. M. It was played by Paul Beaver on the album "PISCES, AQUARIUS, CAPRICORN & JONES LTD", released 11/67. (SOB was released in late 1968.)

Later when I was verifying this seemingly ludicrous 'fact', I learned that the first Billboard Top Forty Moog single was...

(Boy are you gonna be surprised!).

:drumroll:

Tell me life isn't full of sprizes. :lol:

The lead phrases in this song remind me very much of someone else's playing. Anyone else have that feeling?

Well I'm not real surprised because I had considered guessing the Monk's, but only because Jimmy Hendrix toured with them as the opening act for awhile, so nothing would shock me. :)
The only reason I brought up the difference between the 2 questions(group vs artist) is I thought you were doing a trick Floyd thingy question. :idk:

OMG...I kinda like that song....you're not suggesting RW are you?
topcat

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon May 02, 2011 2:56 am

topcat wrote:Well I'm not real surprised because I had considered guessing the Monk's, but only because Jimmy Hendrix toured with them as the opening act for awhile, so nothing would shock me. :)
Well, it did shock me. :grin: (And I just put W/W Carlos in as red herrings.)

Maybe it's just me, but the feel (modality?) of the lead phrasing in that Minotaur tune reminds me of the end of Lucky Man, and some of the bits in Tarkus.

If one of those oscs wasn't set on square, he could've laid claim to the first supersaw! :grin:

Dick Hyman is undeniably a crazybaddass player. With an unfortunate moniker. He shoulda changed it to Richard Cougar. Or maybe Knuckles O'Toole.

Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed May 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Like?

I like this one. The others I've heard are pretty guitarish.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Thu May 12, 2011 12:32 pm

I dig this swanky stuff..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Purity_Control » Thu May 12, 2011 3:40 pm

You ever listen to the ISB? Not to be confused with IBS :grin: Apparently they were booed from the stage at Woodstock and history deleted them from ever having been at the event after that, for most purposes.

Fucking hippies eh? :freak:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby topcat » Fri May 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Purity_Control wrote:You ever listen to the ISB? Not to be confused with IBS :grin: Apparently they were booed from the stage at Woodstock and history deleted them from ever having been at the event after that, for most purposes.

Fucking hippies eh? :freak:

The ISB reference threw me for a loop, so naturally I had to search it.
The Incredible String Band..ah yes. I lived through that time period and even then I had only heard reference of them. Not one of the biggies of the era.

I think everyone who played Woodstock except for Ravi Shankar could've been considered hippies.
I guess you could've called me a hippie when I returned from VietNam in 1969. I grew my hair long, had a beard, and like everyone else I knew smoked weed and took acid. We listened to the Moody Blues, King Crimson, CSN&Y.
The only difference being, I had married a japanese woman in japan, had a baby girl and had to have a job.
At one time, I got a job as a stereo salesman selling high end stereo systems(MacIntosh), Bose, as well as the house brand which was more affordable.
All of us had long hair, so we had to wear short hair wigs for 12 hours a day to hide our long hair.
I laugh now, those customers must've thought we were all nuts.

sorry for the trip down memory lane.

As far as ISB, they were booed because they refused to play in the rain. The next day when they went on, they were booed because of it.

Purity your youtube imbeds aren't showing up.
topcat

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 13, 2011 11:24 pm

topcat wrote:I think everyone who played Woodstock except for Ravi Shankar could've been considered hippies.
Lest we forget...

And as for me, I like memory lane stuff, so your apologies are roundly rejected. That sort of narrative can be quite entertaining when care is taken to include crazy snit like having to wear short hair wigs for the man. :lol:

My wife's 96 year old G-Dad passed last year, but his mind was still very sharp. That dude could tell interesting stories as long as you let him, but he always knew when he'd gone on long enough.

I missed Nam by a few months. I had to register for the draft, but they stopped taking guys shortly after that. The interesting thing was...

Oh, you have to go? All right, see you later.
Plink Floyd

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Mon May 23, 2011 12:55 am

Bai bai
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Been listening a lot to Gary Numan's "The Pleasure Principal". (I don't know, I get on these jags where I listen to the same album over and over again and then get sick of it and move on.)

You know, for '79, it's pretty impressive, and the idea to run the synths through guitar pedals really gives them a unique flavor-flav. I particularly like the buzzy bassiness of the lead in "Metal". Also, that "Bombers" track on the end is kinda hypnotic, especially with that CR-78 -like drum machine bopping along.

Anyway. That's what I've been listening to.

Anyone?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:52 am

No-one.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:14 am

I remember having The Pleasure Principal album, but I haven't seen it in years. I must have lost or loaned it... I had some Tubeway ones, tu. :idk:

I've been on a Kansas jag lately.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:42 pm

I haven't any Kansas in my collection at all. Odd...

I was rummaging through my CDs last week, looking for something to catch my eye to take to work, and... well, it's like cable TV: 1000 channels and nothing's on. I look at a lot of those CDs now and think, "Ugh, I don't know if I'll ever want to listen to that again."

I need to find some fresh music that I like.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Not sure why, but I bought Rush's "A Farewell to Kings". Old prog rock is old.

But I keep playing Cygnus X-1 over and over again. me gusto.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Me gusta tambien

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:04 pm

LOLOLOL :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:52 pm

To me, Red Barchetta is one of those songs that is like some classical music, because I don't want it just in the background. Rather, I want to sit in mein kampfy chair in the sweet spot of a couple hunnerd watts, with no other distractions, from start to finish.

:goosepimples:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:08 pm

...along with several other Rush songs like Limelight (even though rock radio played it to DEATH), Subdivisions (ditto), Spirit of Radio, The Trees, Xanadu, Closer to the Heart, Analog Kid, Natural Science and, of course, La Villa Strangiato.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:32 am

:like:

Other works that demand my undivided attention are Autobahn, Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery, Thick as a Brick, Passion Play, Tommy, Quadrophenia and several Mike Oldfield albums.

That is, back when I had time and solitude...
Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.