hai guyz!

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: hai guyz!

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Speaking of Yorkshire:

Sound of Yorkshire wafts over Washington on inauguration day
The music that wafts above Washington on Wednesday as the new President takes the oath of office may have a distinctly Yorkshire ring to it.

For although it will be less than a footnote to the day’s events, it was made possible in part by a company at an old guttering factory in Leeds having literally pulled out the stops.

The inauguration on Capitol Hill will be the first since the installation of a vast new ecclesiastical organ there, within the so-called House Church next to the House of Representatives.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritag ... obal-en-GB
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 pm

wait.. who said anything about yorkshire?! lol.. I mean, I'm fine with it, I just don't recall.. ha ha.

Makes perfect sense to me. :idk: The US isn't big on tradition. People today see that as the stuff of cranky, bigoted old white men in white suit shirts that like starting wars. As a side discussion, I think maybe that's the thing I've always admired about England; in that it's entirely possible to be part of a larger culture and also retain an individual identity at the same time. I'll spare you the broader implications of US social issues :lol:

But my point being, who here knows how to fix or repair a pipe organ? :idk: There are people that do, but I guess my point was, i'm not surprised at all to find someone from England would be up for the task. Does anyone remember the news articles from maybe 20 years ago here, about people chucking pianos out the window, literally, because they simply weren't wanted anymore? Do they throw pianos out the window too in England or is that just an American phenomenon?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:47 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Do they throw pianos out the window too in England or is that just an American phenomenon?

Google suggests they do. :cry:

(However, the Chinese apparently are pretty keen on owning pianos these days. Hmm.)

I think a lot of the acoustic piano decline is "progress", a combination of first everything moving to pre-recorded stuff, and then the introduction of the electronic piano, to be honest. Acoustic pianos used to be a status symbol of the middle class, and before pre-recorded entertainment, there was an entire industry churning out relatively easy salon pieces for amateur piano players to entertain people with (this piece, not terribly known these days, is an example of an actually massive 1850s "one hit wonder" along these lines). There was less need for salon style entertainment after radio and TV. However, there was no substitute for a piano if you want to learn to play. Nowadays, from what I see, people take lessons using electronic pianos.

Nonetheless, compared to the US, Britain does have a longer, IMHO stronger classical tradition (a few British Baroque composers and a few early to mid 20th century British composers are "classical staples", and there's plenty of lesser known but quality compositions to throw in every now and then). If I had to guess, between all the cathedrals over there and other prominent concert locations (like Royal Albert Hall, which has a big pipe organ) there's more opportunity to make and service pipes. Even from a rock perspective, when I think of bands that have used real pipe organs in tunes, one of the first tunes that comes to mind is British progressive rock (Yes - "Awaken") It's not that the United States doesn't have pipe organs, we're just different about it. (Fittingly, one of the most notable pipe organs in the US -- the largest active pipe organ in the world in fact -- is in a Macy's in Philadelphia.)
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:07 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Do they throw pianos out the window too in England or is that just an American phenomenon?

I don't know, probably not but only because you've never get them upstairs in a lot of houses here.

There was an advert wayback where one got thrwn off a bridge, google's not being my friend on that one.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:43 pm

That could be a new indie hit album title "throwing pianos". :lol:

once more, soundwave with the google fu. But I agree and that was my thinking too.. the piano here was a stereo or entertainment center, more or less, but in Britain, it was taken more seriously.

I've also read too, articles over the years that grandma's china, china cabinet and so on just aren't wanted or valued the way it was in the past and they all end up in thrift stores these days. It's amusing watching family movies from the 90's, especially John Hughe's later ones and to see the contrast between then and now, in terms of the houses. Everything is all wall paper and big, solid pieces of furniture. I even googled once, "what happened to wall paper" lol. Quite a change and I can't really explain the shift myself.
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:46 pm

I don't think the whole bernie thing is funny.. but this one was, I thought anyway.

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:59 pm

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:56 pm

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:49 pm

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:56 pm

what are you all slackers doing? I added a 32 inch monitor to my setup so i can see my software lol. my controller had me so far back i couldn't see my laptop monitor.

My ex gave my son a guitar for Christmas and he got an amp and I also got him a distortion pedal the other night. So he's kinda into that now, which is cool with me.
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:00 pm

kids these days lol

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:00 pm

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:58 pm

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:09 pm

MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:33 pm

MetroSonus wrote:what are you all slackers doing?

On the music front, largely slacking. :confuse:

Mostly I've been involved in the "fixing broken crap in the house" project (some of which involves one of my other hobbies, homebrewing beer. :drink: ) as well as the "work project" (which lately has involved some weird hours due to the current project involving people on the other side of the planet).

The "to do" list here seems to have settled down, so if we could get just a few less night meetings maybe I can work on something artistic for once.
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:33 pm

"fixing broken crap in the house"

That's about what I've been up to. Trimming trees, pressure washing, cleaning gutters.. I need to get back to the baseboards and touch up work I had been doing. My son's bathroom needs to be repainted. I used an oil base paint the first time on the trim and it turned yellow. Yuck..

Got my desk did, so when I want to, I can work on music lol.

I was hoping to redo my bathroom this year, but .. I found out I screwed up my withholdings on my taxes and now I owe.. :/ Not as much as i could have, thank god.. but I fixed it and I'll be ok for next year. Just sucks.. the divorce is done, I'm 100% free and i was hoping that'd be a big bonus for me. sucks.

Anyway.. hope you guys are all doing well :)
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:33 pm

"fixing broken crap in the house"

That's about what I've been up to. Trimming trees, pressure washing, cleaning gutters.. I need to get back to the baseboards and touch up work I had been doing. My son's bathroom needs to be repainted. I used an oil base paint the first time on the trim and it turned yellow. Yuck..

Got my desk did, so when I want to, I can work on music lol.

I was hoping to redo my bathroom this year, but .. I found out I screwed up my withholdings on my taxes and now I owe.. :/ Not as much as i could have, thank god.. but I fixed it and I'll be ok for next year. Just sucks.. the divorce is done, I'm 100% free and i was hoping that'd be a big bonus for me. sucks.

Anyway.. hope you guys are all doing well :)
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:57 pm

Hey Purity.. if anyone is still hanging around this place :ik: :lol: have you seen this show?

Narrow Boat Travels

https://www.amazon.com/Travels-by-Narro ... B07NXQG5HB

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYOtQi ... VVJEJGlnvw

If i went to england, that's one thing I'd want to see is the canals. We don't have anything like that here in the US and it looks like pastoral bliss honestly. Apparently, it's just one dude who made the show himself. I've seen other DIY shows on amazon.. I'm curious how you get your stuff up there. Image

I wish he went into a little more detail about his voyages, but it's definitely sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery.

anyone about the place still? how are you all doing ?
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:40 pm

MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:48 pm

MetroSonus

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.