Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:10 am

Up until a few months ago, I didn't care for Scott Bakula. I admit that when Quantum Leap was on, I was watching little or no TV, but QL just didn't interest me; seemed sort of cheesy. On the basis of that feeling, I completely eschewed ST-Enterprise. (Not to mention the fact that teh wife & I watched one episode & she forbade me to continue, something about the Vulcan chick being too much of a sexpot. I said "But, but, you're al right with Seven of Nine..." but she sayed "Tut tut, you ghote, you know very well those are just Borg implants").

But recently, I & teh fam watched all the epis of "Chuck", wherein said Scott had a small recurring role. I quite liked that series, & especially enjoyed Mr. Bakula's efforts.

So now I'm Huluing the ST:E series and much digging it. Very charming , how they depict the wonderment of the humans discovering cosmic stuff. Pretty realistic treatment of mundane activities, like having the bridge crew make a video response to questions sent by Mrs. Crump's third grade class, like "When you flush the Space Crapper, where does it go?"

And yeah, teh Vulc chick is a total sexpot, oh man.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:19 am

lol Majel Barrett was Gwen Rutherford, Fred's wife. And therefore Lumpy's mom.

Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:57 am

Plink Floyd wrote: I never saw THX 1138. Anybody?

It's a blatantly plagiarized 1984 :idk: I like it stylistically, but I guess that's all there really is to it.

ST:E degrades like all the more recent series into sensational stuffs. Including sexpoting the vulcan. I think there's a long stretch where they find any way they can to cram her boobs into the show. If you're into that then :thu:

I admit, ST:TNG moved off of science fiction and into themed drama and for what's it worth, both it and Deep Space 9 were good for it. The rest of the shows, IMO, fell apart quickly and became gimmicky.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:47 am

MetroSonus wrote:ST:E degrades like all the more recent series into sensational stuffs.
The theme song is dumb.

MetroSonus wrote:...sexpoting the vulcan. I think there's a long stretch where they find any way they can to cram her boobs into the show. If you're into that then :thu:
Uhhh, well alrighty then. :thu:
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 am

after a period of self digestion, I can really only admit to being a big fan of the original cast movies. while I enjoyed the TOS for some of the ensemble bits, the constant preachiness cumma painted aliens kind of got tedious and the next generation with it's worm holes and time travel and hoi foin laven... nice lady.

I think looking back, it's hard to be great all the time for 24 shows a season. There's many, many stand out moments in just about anything but there's also just as many things that slip through my mind..

And that's why in contrast, i've always gravitated towards the BBC shows. They were always a bit more imaginative than the US shows and they only ran for 6-12 shows a season. And overall, they just felt like a more consistent experience. Not to mention all those accents and British slang and Image wait wut?

Eventually they too have an "american' style season where it's all innudendos and put downs and less character / situational driven humor :samsh: I'm just not that into it. Red Dwarf, The IT Crowd comes to mind.

That's also a big difference too; American humor is written so that anyone tuning in can get it. This is so that when they land on a channel, they're more likely to stay on it and not flip around, ergo so they watch the commercials of that channel. And the shows here are essentially driven by getting people to watch the commercials. I think that's why maybe a lot of us like the older TV. Aside from representing a different set of values, the reins were in usually in the hands of the writers and talent who held most of the power back then.

but i'm just sea foaming at the mouth here.. :lol: it's friday..
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Star Trek will always have a place in history as one of the first "serious" / adult science fiction series on American television (along with Twilight Zone and Outer Limits which preceded it). And yeah, it's a bit preachy and talky and commentary-like at times, but so was Twilight Zone, and so is "serious" / adult science fiction as a whole. :)

I don't have a particularly soft spot for ST:TOS personally, but I certainly would rather watch that than the corny Buck Rodgers Flash Gordon stuff that was made for kids, given the choice.

I grew up in The Next Generation era and do have a soft spot for it (in spite of some shaky first couple of seasons and some corny moments here and there), this is probably because of how much it was on the TV at home. :idk:

If you actually like talkie cerebral type stuff (many do), well, everything (read: Doctor Who, Star Trek, the upcoming Star Wars I'm sure) has migrated to a similar format that kind of is the antithesis. Epic, dramatic visuals and music; clear cut heroes and villains with relatively shallow character exposition; fast-moving plotlines with lots of explosions and extremely dangerous life and death moments designed for maximum emotional feelies. Of course, upon reflection, many of these plots often make no logical sense whatsoever. :lol:

I've heard a *lot* of bitching about the Abrams Star Trek movies, particularly the second one (which I haven't seen) for idiotic plot holes. I saw the first and didn't mind it, however it is quite a different style. More similar to the *Star Wars* style to be honest, you kind of have to turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. (In other words: in the long run I guess, Roddenberry lost, Lucas won.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:21 pm

I was just trying to say that these days, I'm not the kind of fan anymore that's still "into it'. I have more of a casual appreciation these days.

To me, the essence of Sci Fi was to take a scientific concept and to spin a sort of predictive story from it with that element as the lynch pin of the story and there's very few that do that (2001 if we just consider HAL as the main story, Silent Running). That's why I think to an extent that the Tom Baker era of DW was so successful as the writers made that the foundation of their stories.

Historical speaking, we've always had a two party story telling system, aside from the above. TOS and Twilight Zone would often take something current and juxtapose it in the future to expose it and put a moral spin on it. The other one was, as you said, dumbed down action movies: The Running Man etc. And there were all manner of gimmicky movies too just because it had a robot or a talking car in it.

So ergo, I've always thought that pure Sci Fi was very hard to do anyway, especially in episodic format. But yes, I prefer talkie cerebral stuff, but to me, the core of the plot needs to resolve around some sort of concept that forms the basis of the main conflict. Far too often though, and I guess this is my main complaint, is that the conflict tends to grow inwards and whatever it is never really evolves above general hospital in space. And the fact of it is is that it's easier to write and it brings in a bigger audience.

It's just not what I prefer and yes, I'll have to wear my hipster, whipping post, OG fan boy big boy pants.. I suppose :lol:

But I liked the first Startrek movie. I think it got to what the core of the TOS was: an ensemble performance. And it worked. Except for Scotty :mad: The second one was a waste IMO. It didn't need to retread familiar ground, that was the first disappointing thing. For the second, I wouldn't call them plot holes. I would just call it that the writers now assume that the audience doesn't even know what a plot is or care even. As long as there's a hot lead, some snarky put downs and something to make screen caps with to share on tumblr, fuck it.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:56 am

MetroSonus wrote:The second ST movie was a waste IMO.
Y U NO LIEK KHAN?

lol I heard that Shatner refused to be in the same scenes with him because PECS!

Protip for Abrams: U should totally remake the Liberace one.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:The second ST movie was a waste IMO.
Y U NO LIEK KHAN?

lol I heard that Shatner refused to be in the same scenes with him because PECS!

Protip for Abrams: U should totally remake the Liberace one.

See, now, that would be a totally acceptbale use for the patented Abrams' LENS FLARE! (Flair? Flair.)
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:40 pm

The Khan one was the best one!!!!

(No I'm not a purist)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:20 pm

And there were all manner of gimmicky movies too just because it had a robot or a talking car in it.

The attempted reboot of Nightrider was particularly bad, it was like they had to come up with a plot premise in each episode for the characters to have to take their clothes off.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:47 am

The Kahn/Lloyd/Whale Trilogy was teh best movie.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Purity, wasn't that the "team knight rider"? They had like a mustang, motorcycle etc? Funny I was saying the same thing about Enterprise needing a new virus or something all the time to get the vulcan lady to take her clothes off :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Sun May 04, 2014 7:35 pm

ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon May 05, 2014 1:33 pm

So apparently yesterday was Star Wars Day.

May the 4th

be with you.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Mon May 05, 2014 7:38 pm

yes every1 was posting may the 4th jokes on fb so I googled it :facepalm:

so I reposted ur darth fader pic lol
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue May 06, 2014 3:12 am

I first heard about it last week from some nerds: