Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:00 pm

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/

I bump into this site every now and then and it's always a fun read, most recently by a conversation I was having with S&TG.

I'm not much one for Vs. arguments, I instead prefer to debate one particular show in the context of it's own confines along with a sort of meta analysis in the context of it just being a TV show (or movie) after all.

I'm not going to bother writing this guy or join his forum, but I thought it would be fun to talk about here.

His site has a largely tongue in cheek pro empire slant to it, I think he truly enjoys both shows, but he's majorly trolling by exploiting the fact that SW was a hugely budgeted over the top visual epic / fantasy movie and ST was created as a hard science based drama with bits of action tv series.

He quite liberally enjoys touting how overpowered the SW weapons are by citing a megaton rating or something from a SW technical manual with no other support and then discussing how ineffective ST weapons are based upon (more or less) scientific facts. I just think that's largely unfair. There are just as many supporting sources for ST in novels, technical manuals, role playing games etc that provide just as a diverse and weapon filled universe as SW. Not to mention it's completely within the federation's ability to replicate weapons, equipment and vehicles as needed, as I discuss below.

He also cites frequently from novels and technical manuals in favor of SW and fails to do the same for ST, instead deferring to onscreen canon. I feel he does ST a disservice in this approach by ignoring the fact that it was a budgeted series and most of what you saw on screen, including discontinuity, was dictated by script and budget requirements. It's hard to compare that to two trilogies of over the top special effects.

He also compares unequal time periods. He mainly compares the peaceful ST:TNG time period with the militaristic pax romana of the SW movies. I would like to see how a comparison would fare several thousand millennial after episode VI.

Anyway.. that's just some food for thought on that one.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:17 pm

ST is greater than SW for the simple fact that they have (usually involuntary) time travel. If the Death Star were to come along and blow up Ceti Alpha 5 (a relatively peacefull planet, btw) then all ST has to do is swing around the sun, go back in time, and dump a whale on Anakin's face. Problem solved!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:24 pm

well... maybe they did blow up ceti alpha vi. hmmmmmmm

gee that's real nice. did you ever wonder what the last thing going through it's mind would when it hit poor anakin?

it's ass... ba dump ching.
MetroSonus

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 pm

Star Wars has the unfortunate fail of a number of science fiction shows in having super futuristic energy weapons that are inferior to contemporary tech :facepalm:

Wouldn;t be surprised if Trek has done that at some point too, as it happens a bit too often, along with the 'evil marksmanship' stuff.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:38 pm

I think the large advantage is you don't need to worry about carrying around ammo. If you have a large enough reactor to power your ship and it's weapons, that's all you need.
MetroSonus

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:13 pm

I mean the handguns. Which usually shoot pulses that you can actually see coming and dive out of the way of, or block with something, or stand behind a wrought iron fence and every single shot will hit a bar so spaks go everywhere. :facepalm:

Now jedi master vs minigun would be a short fight.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:46 pm

ah I got you. I was thinking of ships.

I always wondered that too. i mean beam weapons would travel at light speed after.. sure they looked cool, but you always had enough time to doge everything.

wow.. way to go ! this guy airs his family's dirty laundry right on his webpage.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/

:facepalm:

he's even got links to adult toy stores right next to pictures of his kids! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 pm

The adult toy reviews are a bit of a strange thing to have there.

I guess he's still hurting over the rest of the stuff, her family sound like racist gits but diconnecting from them is probably still hard, maybe it's his way of working through it, or just telling people what a bunch of bible bashing bigots they are.

Just got back in from a Tang So Do class, my first foray into martial arts in, um well maybe 17 years. I am really gonna feel that in the morning. And i sweated so much there were drips all over the mat where i was going up and down. :facepalm:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Do You do, punches where you go tang so do? I have a black belt in that actually.

Eh yea the guys gots some issues....
MetroSonus

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Do You Do is on Thursday nights! Just Tang So Do on Fridays.

Yeah, there's punches in it, it's quite similar to shotkan karate but i think with more kicking and free fight.

Having 4 out of the 6 letters in Sodomy in there in the correct order is a source of temptation too. :idea:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:02 pm

:lol: :facepalm:

I was on my phone..

oi you and temptation.

we had to do these punches, in threes, and on each one you'd say tang, so, do.

I hated those for some reason.
MetroSonus

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:16 am

Purity_Control wrote:Do You Do is on Thursday nights! Just Tang So Do on Fridays.

I'm familiar with Tang, but how Do You Do?

And this is a nerdy thread.

And can the Enterprise make unlimited photon torpedoes, as long as there's reactor power? I guess I don't remember them ever running out...
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:50 am

You'll have to ask Metro about Do You Do as i havn't done that one.

They count in Korean when you do the moves, wouldn't have said it sounded like they were saying 'tang', 'so', 'do' though. Strangely enough, a lot of the sounds are like they were brought in from a bad kung-fu movie, except for real.

Speaking of Trek, the federation ships should be from hell to fight because that warp core breach thing really should blast the living crap out of about half the solar system if it happens. You'd not want to be there when one goes up.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:37 am

Oh and i forgot to say... ouch! ouch! bloody ouch!
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:06 am

My 15 YO son's a 'junior' black belt in Shorei Goju Ryu. He's been at it six or eight years. He's eligible for the full black when he's 16, but he's got some Super Serious Stuff to learn first.

Last weekend I took a ten mile bike ride. I haven't done that in years, not once since I moved to the uber-boonies. About half was on gravel roads, which is a little more work than pavement. The traffic's so non-existant here, I think one car passed me. I'd really like to do it more often.

:wave: weekend!
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Ouch, i am feeling it even more now i've had a bath, that 8 year old girl i was sparring with really worked me over :freak: :facepalm:

Good news is i went out for a walk and found a nice hefty music stand in a charity shop, a lot more robust and stable than the one i have :thu:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Ouch, i am feeling it even more now i've had a bath, that 8 year old girl i was sparring with really worked me over :freak: :facepalm:

:lol: (hint 4 next time: brass knucks)

And I also recently found a nice used $5 HD music stand. I may mod it for use as an eDrum stand.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:40 am

whenever I hear "photon torpedo" I always think: 'big ass flashlight' :facepalm:
ClavAnother

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:25 am

ClavAnother wrote:whenever I hear "photon torpedo" I always think: 'big ass fleshlight' :facepalm:

FIFY
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:55 pm

:grin:
Plink Floyd

Next

Return to The Hang Out.