The Coffee Thread.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

The Coffee Thread.

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:07 pm

How do you drink your coffee?

At work we have a Nespresso machine. Espresso snobs might not think it's as great as their freshly roasted and grounded-on-the-spot beans, but to me it even beats Starbucks... and it has a very nice crema. We also have a regular coffee machine that most people use for your usual watered-down brew. I always ask "oh my, why" but it's what they like :)

At home we have been using a drip coffee machine... the one we had was ok, but then after it broke and we couldn't find one just like it, my wife bought a Mr Coffee... it's awful. I don't think it heats up the water enough. So I went and got me a couple italian espresso stovetop pots. One is a 1-shot tiny one (pictured) which I use all the time now. It's just the right amount for a nice cup of cafe con leche (or café au lait, or just coffee with milk for you guyz). The other is a 6-cup (should be called 6-shot, because it's a demitasse cup measure). Now I'm happy with the coffee I get at home as well.

ImageMoka by ChristianRock, on Flickr

So what's your coffee like?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: The Coffee Thread.

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:09 pm

For those who don't know how the italian espresso pot (or moka pot) works - you put the water in the bottom and the coffee in the middle. The steam pressure will carry the hot water through the ground coffee and it will come out on top. It's also called a percolator but I think that usually refers to the electric ones.

Oh and I've been using Bustelo coffee (cuban style brand). It's not the best but it's satisfying enough (and relatively cheap).
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:36 pm

I like my coffee the same way I like my slaves..

Free

ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:43 pm

A thread I can get into!

I use a stove top percolator when camping. At home I have keurig and I use ground coffee. i asked my mom for a steel french press for christmas. The glass ones break too easy from the heating and cooling.

I would do espresso, but it hurts my stomach with the IBS and hein froin laven.. hai.

I'm more into flavor them I am strength and that's why I quit starbucks.. in they 00's they had that deep roasted flavor that was pretty good, but now, I can't stand any of their coffee.. from the store. Sam's has their house blend that's really good. Dunno the difference.. but pikes peak etc bleh..

I don't like doctoring up my coffee either. I like to grind mine too. Black rifle coffee is some seriously good stuff... bought some at an outdoors outfitter..

You talk to my mom though and her stove top looks like the set of flubber..

I can't make heads or tails of her steup.. :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Super strong coffee gives me the widdershins, so @ home I drip my own low octane Folgers noir. But I still absolutely positively gotta have it. I keep meaning to try cold brewed cof, just because it's supposed to have less acid/moar goodness.

I used to grind my own if someone wanted foofoo coffee, but that was in the days before K cups. I'm not crazy about the thing, but if the house was on fire, teh Mrs would save me only AFTER the Keurig was safely outside.

OT: Hot choc; not my favorite. Last week I wanted a hot sweet fattening dairy bomb, so I tried hot milk with caramel syrup. Good at first, but strangely over-salty at the finish. Hot butterscotch milk is better.

Poll: What goes good with coffee? Pie & ice cream might win.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm

A long time ago, I was more into getting down with some coffee exotica -- I even actually had one of those home roasting machine thingys to cook up my own beans. Now? Meh. Pick up a bag of locally roasted beans and throw em into the grind and brew drip machine. Convenience wins. Not the best coffee I've ever had, but a lot less work, and still several steps up from instant dirt.

I prefer lighter roasts, meaning I never got into the Starbucks super deep roast style.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Metro: I saw the coolest stainless steel french press at TJMaxx (do they have those in Tampa? They didn't when I lived there I think...) for 16 bucks. I almost bought it but I had just bought two italian espresso pots, I don't want to go overboard :)

Also, I have never had a Keurig coffee that I liked. And I've had a few, my co-worker even brought hers in and keeps telling me to try it with some good coffees she brought in - I did a couple times. I don't think it heats up the water enough. Or something. Same problem I have with our drip coffee maker. And we had a Faberware coffee machine that was very cheap but I think got the right temperature with the coffee, because I actually liked that coffee. But alas, they don't make it anymore... we went through two of them and through several carafes in our first 10 years of marriage (been married 11 1/2 years now, so it broke about about a year ago).

Plink Floyd wrote:Poll: What goes good with coffee? Pie & ice cream might win.

Gosh, anything from bread to sweets...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Veracohr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 am

Usually plain old drip in a pot. Sometimes a pour-over (cone thingy) when I’m only making for myself. On the weekends my girlfriend likes to go to Starbucks so we can get chocolate croissants, and sometimes I get an americano there.

She’s gotten me into the light roast stuff. It tastes like more than just burnt. Starbucks’ blonde roast is actually pretty good, but recently we switched to a Natural Directions medium roast. Fair trade, relatively cheap, and quite tasty!
Veracohr

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm

McDonald's brand Breakfast Blend, Cuisinart drip pot. French Vanilla Coffeemate (liquid) creamer.

Folger's at work.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Diet Coke at home.

Diet Coke at work.

Diet Coke.

(Pepsi changed the sweetner of Diet Pepsi that leaves a cloying aftertaste. Do not want.)
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm

EP Doesn't drink Diet Pepsi anymore :eek: that should have been in the news, how did I miss it??
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:14 pm

christianrock wrote:EP Doesn't drink Diet Pepsi anymore :eek: that should have been in the news, how did I miss it??

It happened when you were in teh Brazil not posting lulz
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
christianrock wrote:EP Doesn't drink Diet Pepsi anymore :eek: that should have been in the news, how did I miss it??

It happened when you were in teh Brazil not posting lulz

Actually, I haven't been there in 3 years. But I'm going next Tuesday :thu: and I'll be offline for almost a month...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 pm

Whaaa?

And now this? Trump reportedly drinks 12 cans of Diet Coke each day?

I am concerned.

/tinfoilfez
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Trump reportedly drinks 12 cans of Diet Coke each day?

Are we positive that aspartame won't kill?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Fake news.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 pm

EP sure hopes not. He downs probably 6-8 of these suckers a day.

EP knows he should stop. But water is boring.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:51 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:EP sure hopes not. He downs probably 6-8 of these suckers a day.

EP knows he should stop. But water is boring.

Suggestion tiem: At home, nearly exclusively, I drink the Concord Grape flavored Crystal Light. It's good. Probably has aspartame, too, but it beats the heck out of Diet Coke.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 pm

I know we have Ross and Marshalls.. which are owned by the same people and are often directly across from one another. I wouldn't be surprised if TjMaxx was a part of the same company.

I honestly don't know if we have one here, but I remember them from my days in atlanta. I used to go to those two sometimes on lunch and poke around in the junk.

Im' having my 3rd tumbler of coffee.. bad choice. It's cold outside and hot inside because of the heater they can never get right in here.. and I have hot coffee, kept boiling by my efficient, insulating tumbler argh
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Well, we have

And

But wth is a tjmaxx??
ClavAnother

Next

Return to The Hang Out.