The Coffee Thread.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: The Coffee Thread.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:27 pm

Are you talking about Bainbridge Campershack?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:42 am

Yes. That's exactly who I wut?
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:20 pm

So. How do you like your coffee (for those who haven't answered yet)?

I know it's for lazy people but right now I don't think I can beat our office's Nespresso machine. So simple, so easy, and always smooth and satisfying. I already had 3 this morning and I'm craving more...

Eventually I'll feel adventurous again and will try some other stronger or more exotic kind of espresso.

I try to avoid drip coffee whenever I can, which isn't always possible since that's what Ms. Christianrock drinks (and makes on weekends).

Also: I know people who sweeten coffee with condensed milk. I'm sure it's pretty good (anything with condensed milk is wonderful). But if that won't make you fat I don't know what else would...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 pm

I haven't done drip in years. Mostly for me, it's I don't like it sitting in the pot, but in general, french press or my keurig is much better. Even though I drink it so fast, I prefer just doing the on demand through the keurig using grounds. I either grind them myself or I put some into a sealed canister and freeze the rest.

I drink black coffee with a little bit of sweetener. I like mild or medium the best. I really like americanos, but I usually add extra water. Straight up espresso or anything bothers my IBS..

How do you think the nespresso measures up to the keruig?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:05 pm

MetroSonus wrote:How do you think the nespresso measures up to the keruig?

For my taste - I do espresso - it's night and day. I've never had what I would be considered a good cup of coffee from a Keurig. I think the temperature's not right. Or something. I'd rather do drip coffee than Keurig honestly, at least with drip coffee I can control the temperature by doing "manual drip" (the Brazilian way) or picking up a drip coffee maker that works well for me, since the water needs to be almost boiling for my taste (that's what good espresso machines do).

I've made a lot of Americanos with the Nespresso machine (just do an espresso, add hot water and then I'd add Vanilla creamer). Right now though, it's espresso plus half and half and a dash of sugar for me. Or heat up some whole milk in a cup and brew a shot of espresso on top of it - my favorite, actually.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

That's what I do too.. extra water, vanilla..

The only Keurig that works for me, are the larger ones with the water tank on the side. The singles and the desktop models don't get hot enough. I know several (which probably worked fine) have been thrown out at my office because people thought they weren't working right, but that's all I ever heard from the smaller ones. I have the bigger one at home and my son complains the coffee is too hot to drink it, which it is. But that's the way I like it. Just a touch cooler and it's perfect. You can cool down, but not heat up..
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 pm

MetroSonus wrote:That's what I do too.. extra water, vanilla..

The only Keurig that works for me, are the larger ones with the water tank on the side. The singles and the desktop models don't get hot enough. I know several (which probably worked fine) have been thrown out at my office because people thought they weren't working right, but that's all I ever heard from the smaller ones. I have the bigger one at home and my son complains the coffee is too hot to drink it, which it is. But that's the way I like it. Just a touch cooler and it's perfect. You can cool down, but not heat up..

Cooling down... that's what creamer or milk is for :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:29 pm

I have both the Keurig and Drip pots at home. I don't like the Keurig nearly as much as the Cuisinart drip. Besides, I dunno what you mean about Keurig coffee not being hot enough! That shit is like, volcanic hot. And the coffee it makes just isn't as good (to me).

Funny how we all have such varied tastes and opinions.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:08 pm

I think I usually have it in the smaller Keurig machines, that is why the not so hot comment comes from.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:53 am

i used to use an espresso machine i got at the second hand shop for $20. i would use descaler to clean it and it would do foamy milk on the side, americanos, etc

i had a french press that was ok and i liked using it for gunpowder green tea.

now i just use a drip machine that brews on a timer when i wake up. i use paper coffee filters and grind the beans (usually french roast) in my magic bullet.

the coffee at work grinds the beans and brews 10oz or 16oz cups. i usually get the sumatra kind :thu:
gregwar

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:48 pm

Our coffee machine at work is a bit hit and miss.. I think it often doesn't get cleaned properly.

Sometimes the coffee tastes like soup. :freak:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:04 pm

PC does someone drop a flavoring packet in the water bin? :lol: That's not how you make ramen..

Greg, what is gunpowder green tea? Although I don't drink them that often, I love green and jasmine tea. I was really upset to hear starbucks is closing most of their tevana stores. That was always a treat on a stop to the mall was to get a hot tea.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 pm

I like green tea and jasmine and green tea with lemongrass. Recently I've gotten into green tea and ginger - a surprisingly good combination. And I can get it at the dollar store where there's a pretty good brand lately with very good teas that I'm enjoying for cheap :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 pm

I like Constant Comment.

And green tea smells like grass clippings.
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:20 am

gunpowder green tea is just green tea leaves rolled up into little pellets.

the reason i liked it (as a coffee drinker) was it would brew a strong, slightly more bitter taste than earl grey teas and had lots of caffeine for long studying sessions
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 am

gregwar wrote:gunpowder green tea is just little pellets.

Makes me wonder if the civet cats have branched into the tea business.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:26 am

We have a Cuisinart Grind & Brew. When we first got it, the daughter brought us back from Hawaii a couple of bags of Kona coffee. One was Vanilla Macadamia Nut. We ground those beans and that was some of the best coffee I ever drank. She found some "Kona" on Amazon but it wasn't the same. Haven't bought any more since. Need to.

I might have mentioned this in that other food thread, but I followed the recipe for "Cowboy Coffee" when we went camping by a guy named Ken Collins. It was pretty good and worked out real well along with the whole "tent camping" thing. If we get the RV, I'll probably find a way to carry the Cuisinart with us.
midinut

Postby christianrock » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:37 pm

This week I'm using Aldi's German Roast (Regular) 100% arabica with my stovetop espresso (aka moka pot). Boy, I have to say it's pretty satisfying :) About on par with some of the best Nespresso pods, I'll have to say. But with much less crema... the stovetop doesn't have enough pressure for that.
I'm not one of those people that has to roast and grind my own, spending thousands in equipment along the way. Though much respect to those who do...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.