Page 3 of 4

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 pm
by christianrock
Plink Floyd wrote:OH BOY A BIG ECL PSE IS COMIN!!

August 21, if you haven't heard yet. Me, CR & Midinaut will have pretty good seats. & all of us are within a few hours drive of TOTAL DARKULARITY!

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-maps


Crap. I've been moving this week (new house, yay). So I missed this, booo.

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:09 pm
by ClavAnother
Uh, isn't August in the future??

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:27 pm
by christianrock
ClavAnother wrote:Uh, isn't August in the future??


I completely missed the August part. I thought it was talking just about the 21st of this month.

ARGH. I'm tired, packing and moving stuff for several days now until late at night, only to wake up early and do it again... back at work today to rest my body a little bit :)

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 pm
by ElectricPuppy
ClavAnother wrote:Uh, isn't August in the future??

Well, for YOU maybe. :eek:

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 pm
by christianrock
ElectricPuppy wrote:
ClavAnother wrote:Uh, isn't August in the future??

Well, for YOU maybe. :eek:

Image

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:59 pm
by midinut
We be ready for the darkularity! Looking forward to it!

This being a place for nerdy stuff, I haz question. Do any of you have any experience with .NET programming or C# ?
I signed up for a .NET bootcamp to become a programmer (since finding a job since graduating hasn't exactly worked out so far)
and the company will hire me once I complete their training. Just have to pass their tests. Just wanted to know if anyone here does this kind of stuff.

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:06 pm
by soundwave106
midinut wrote:This being a place for nerdy stuff, I haz question. Do any of you have any experience with .NET programming or C# ?


Er, yep, that's pretty much what I've done at work for the last decade or so. :smoke:
So if you haz question, fire away.

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:16 pm
by midinut
Sweet. Thanks SW, I may fire some at you before long. When I started my college program 4 years ago I was declaring Computer Science as my major. You may have read this story in a previous post, but I had to change my major to Communication Studies because my math skills are on the light side. I used to teach HTML and XML, and a little CSS. So I'm good so far with the tags and terms, etc. I also taught Access, SQL, and Crystal Reports, so I don't anticipate any hurdles with the database end of things. This bootcamp is 9-12 weeks, totally online, with accessibility to the instructor via Skype. They are providing the training free for veterans and you do 10 modules, then a test (at 85% or better). If you pass, 10 more modules, and another test. If you fail either of these tests they will work with you until you pass them. Once complete they bring you on as an employee at an entry-level programmers salary. Sounds like a win to me, but I've been around long enough to have learned that if it sounds to good to be true ... The instructor lives in Hawaii and worked at Microsoft for a while.
Just don't really want to waste the next 9-12 weeks if it sounds fishy. Thanks for your input.

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:47 pm
by soundwave106
I'd probably have to Google the bootcamp company's reputation etc. to know if there are any issues. It sounds plausible though. I think it's good that you have some skills in things like SQL and Access so it's not like you are jumping in with cold feet.

You really don't need heavy heavy math skills for many coding jobs; many tasks are what are known in the industry as "CRUD applications" (create, read, update, delete). It's not like the heavy stat work you'd need for machine learning or the heavy math involved in DSP or the like.

If you are familiar with SQL, that's great as Microsoft shops will tend to stick with SQL Server for most backend tasks. (We do a little NoSQL (MongoDB) at work but I'm honestly not impressed with the tech...)

Having HTML / XML / CSS skills is also good because pretty much most programming is website development these days. In the .NET world this means building either a fully ASP.Net website, or an ASP.Net Core site (this is their most recent cross-platform offering), or doing a hybrid type website where front end formatting is done by a Javascript framework (one huge program at work combines Angular 2 on the front end with ASP.Net WebAPI / Entity Framework in the middle). No matter which way you pick, you can't get away from HTML / CSS. (JSON (WebAPI) seems to be the current trend over XML though, personally I like JSON a lot better...)

I don't know all that the course covers, but if it doesn't touch this, it would help also to peek into Javascript and at least get a passing familiarity with it and some library trends (old-school JQuery, newer Javascript frameworks (Angular and React currently dominate), NodeJS on the server side). It's not that different from C#, and you'll probably have to include a little bit of it eventually for client-side stuff.

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:22 pm
by christianrock
midinut wrote:We be ready for the darkularity! Looking forward to it!

This being a place for nerdy stuff, I haz question. Do any of you have any experience with .NET programming or C# ?
I signed up for a .NET bootcamp to become a programmer (since finding a job since graduating hasn't exactly worked out so far)
and the company will hire me once I complete their training. Just have to pass their tests. Just wanted to know if anyone here does this kind of stuff.


:wave:

I think the one thing you will need to know well is the principles of Object Orientation. I started out with procedural languages and still do a lot of work with them. Using OO is quite a different feel to programming, but it's doable. Just be aware that it's got a learning curve.

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:13 am
by midinut
The later lessons have us learning JavaScript, so no worries there. First week under my belt. First 3 modules were mostly terminology. My HTML experience helped with that. We are using Visual Studio for all coding so far. CR, I'm not sure if it covers any OO. What I like is they guarantee you a job once you complete the training at an entry-level programmers salary plus benefits from day one. It's a nice thing to offer that to crotchety old veterans like me. lol

According to the lit, even if you leave the company for another, you can still call upon the team if you have questions, problems, are stuck, etc. I likes the sound of that. My biggest hurdle is being able to read the code examples in the .mp4 files. It's hard to tell a colon from a semicolon. I've tried reducing my screen res to 800x600 even and the icons, toolbars and fonts are bigger, but no difference in the .mp4. Also tried opening in Windows Movies & TV, Windows Media Player, QuickTime, same resolution. Finally, wife suggested the snippet tool to grab the code, save it as a jpeg, then zoom in. Works great but still fuzzy. Already complained to management. Seems I'm not the first to bring it up. If he'd just make the example code available in NotePad as a download that would be loverly. Maybe I should talk to wifey about a 60" HGTV to use as a monitor?

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:00 pm
by soundwave106
No Github or Visual Studio Team Services repository for this class or anything like that? That would be what I would suggest.

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:39 pm
by christianrock
midinut wrote:The later lessons have us learning JavaScript, so no worries there. First week under my belt. First 3 modules were mostly terminology. My HTML experience helped with that. We are using Visual Studio for all coding so far. CR, I'm not sure if it covers any OO. What I like is they guarantee you a job once you complete the training at an entry-level programmers salary plus benefits from day one. It's a nice thing to offer that to crotchety old veterans like me. lol


You're mixing Java with Javascript... but they're completely different things. Java is OO, Javascript is procedural. They're not related in any way. Like C++ and C# are also languages that share a similar name, but are like night and day compared to each other. I wish Javascript had a different name like ChiScript or something... and C# should be Delphi# or something (since it's created by the Delphy guy...)

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:57 pm
by soundwave106
Well, ES6 kind of made Javascript... kind of... unnecessarily... a bit more OOP (Javascript now has classes). I don't know why. :lol:

My guess is that the class will go over some of the OOP concepts without diving extremely deep into it, which is fine for beginners. I mean, it's hard to get around in C# without eventually creating a class, which is one of your basic OOP building blocks.

Another "hot trend" in computing seems to be functional programming these days. The neat thing about C# is that, while primarily OOP, has a little bit of that functional programming side with LINQ and lambdas. Of course, I don't tend to think "what programming paradigm am I using?" when programming; it's more "yay x.Where(x=>x.Variable>10); is so much simpler then writing an entire function in a class for this". (Lambdas are also in Java now, it's almost like the major languages are learning "everything has a place"...)

Again, my guess is that the class will also touch on LINQ but not the whole "functional programming" philosophy.

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:28 pm
by christianrock
soundwave106 wrote:Well, ES6 kind of made Javascript... kind of... unnecessarily... a bit more OOP (Javascript now has classes). I don't know why. :lol:

My guess is that the class will go over some of the OOP concepts without diving extremely deep into it, which is fine for beginners. I mean, it's hard to get around in C# without eventually creating a class, which is one of your basic OOP building blocks.

Another "hot trend" in computing seems to be functional programming these days. The neat thing about C# is that, while primarily OOP, has a little bit of that functional programming side with LINQ and lambdas. Of course, I don't tend to think "what programming paradigm am I using?" when programming; it's more "yay x.Where(x=>x.Variable>10); is so much simpler then writing an entire function in a class for this". (Lambdas are also in Java now, it's almost like the major languages are learning "everything has a place"...)

Again, my guess is that the class will also touch on LINQ but not the whole "functional programming" philosophy.


Well the C#/Delphi guy (Anders Hejlsberg) now made Typescript which is basically an OO layer that goes on top of Javascriopt (and outputs Javascript code). Our company is switching all of our Javascript code to Typescript and whoever is caught doing pure Javascript gets a slap on the wrist now...

So yeah Javascript can be OO, especially if Anders puts an OO wrapper on it :lol:

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:00 pm
by selfinflikted
Just what exactly is happening in here?

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:29 pm
by christianrock
selfinflikted wrote:Just what exactly is happening in here?


Nerdy stuff :lol:

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:59 pm
by soundwave106
selfinflikted wrote:Just what exactly is happening in here?


Code: Select all
// HAI GUYZ!

void HaiGuyz()
{      
   int maxHiGuys = 26480;
   string tempHTMLName = Path.GetTempPath() + "\\" + DateTimeOffset.Now.ToUnixTimeSeconds().ToString() + ".html";
   string haiGuyzUrl = "http://computermusicguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9&start=[indexFoo]";
   Random r = new Random();
   int indexFoo = r.Next(0, (maxHiGuys / 20));
   indexFoo = indexFoo * 20;

   System.Net.WebClient wc = new System.Net.WebClient();
   string html = wc.DownloadString(haiGuyzUrl.Replace("[indexFoo]", indexFoo.ToString()));

   string[] posts = html.Split(new string[] { @"<hr class=""divider"" />" }, StringSplitOptions.None);
   int randomHaiGuyz = r.Next(1, posts.Length - 2);

   File.WriteAllText(tempHTMLName, posts[randomHaiGuyz]);

   System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(tempHTMLName);
}

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:36 pm
by selfinflikted
This is all so far over my head. I can'[t even.

Re: Nerdy Stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:11 pm
by christianrock
selfinflikted wrote:This is all so far over my head. I can'[t even.


You just need to awaken your inner nerd.

Image