RIP Keith Emerson / Greg Lake

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

RIP Keith Emerson / Greg Lake

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:13 am

Keith Emerson takes his own life.

If it could loosely be said that I have any heroes, he was one. More than anyone else, his music inspired me to become a keyboardist & synthesist. I can't imagine why such a talented musician would let a few critics contribute to his depression. It shouldn't have mattered to him if physical health problems prevented him from performing to his former standards. If anyone had the right to rest on his laurels, it was Keith. I feel that much of his music will be considered nothing less than historic.

:cry:
Plink Floyd

Re: RIP Keith Emerson

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:45 pm

It's very sad. :cry:

I managed to make it to 19 before I'd even heard of ELP, or heard Lucky Man for the first time. It wasn't a great introduction, though: I had just moved out to my own apartment, a tiny studio job with the worst neighbors. One night I was trying to sleep and they were clearly having some kind of all-nighter, with their stereo blasting Pink Floyd. Eventually Lucky Man came on, and I'd never heard it before, didn't even know who it was. 3:00am is not exactly when you care about the "squeeeOOOOeeeOOOeeeOOO" solo at the end. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Yes I was very said when I heard that. RIP....

I haven't read details about why he did it but I'll try and get more info...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:03 pm

This is turning into a very bad year for dead dudes.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:40 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:I managed to make it to 19 before I'd even heard of ELP
huh wha how now? It was the middle of the 80s before you even heard of them? I mean, California Jam, maaan. You were rite there, u must have heard it through ur window!

I regretted not going to see Emo and Lake when they toured together a few years ago, now even more so. In 73, ELP was the first concert I attended. He rode, stabbed and killed a Hammond spinet! His modular had spinning red lights, smoke bombs and an oscilloscope! There was a giant throbbing pile of quadro speakers in every corner! What a spectacle!

Which was of course unnecessary BS. Aside from all the hokum I think the music still stands.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:39 am

I too was influenced by Lucky Man first, but Brain Salad Surgery had me leaving the guitar by the side of the road and I became a keyboard player. After I bought their entire catalog and spent much of my teen years listening to ELP with headphones. Of course I'll never play like Keith, but he was one of my heroes too. It's so sad that he didn't realize what a difference he made in so many of our lives. Maybe if he had we wouldn't be having this dialog. RIP friend!
One of my FB friends posted that he just wanted to sit in a corner and cry. I feel that way too.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.
midinut

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:50 pm

I have an awful confession to make. I don't think I've ever listened to an ELP song in my life.

o_O
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:36 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:I have an awful confession to make. I don't think I've ever listened to an ELP song in my life.

Well, it's progressive rock. It's not short and sweet and therefore "the general public" doesn't like it. You don't hear progressive rock on the 70s retro stations in general except for a few exceptions (like Yes's "I've Seen All Good People", a small amount of Jethro Tull's "Aqualung", etc.) so you have to search for it on the tubes these days.

Most of ELP's tracks aren't very radio friendly ("Lucky Man" is one of the few), however, some classic rock stations would play a section of Karn Evil #9. I've seen the lyrics from that section ("welcome my friends to the show that never ends") quoted from time to time. Sometimes I wonder if that lyric is in some ways more famous than their entire musical output. :lol:

ELP is not my favorite prog group (I don't think they were as great at tune composition as others such as, say, Genesis) but there's no doubt Emerson was a killer player.

BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:06 am

Trilogy.
ClavAnother

Re: RIP Keith Emerson / Greg Lake

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Greg Lake died three days ago and I'm just now hearing about it?

Man, I really regret missing that last Emo/Lake tour.

:cry:

I'ma go watch California Jam nao.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:33 am

Trilogy man.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Yeah that was sad news.

All of the 70s greats are going... just nature and time taking its course I guess.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:21 am

christianrock wrote:All of the 70s greats are going... just nature and time taking its course I guess.

Yep. The way it is.

There will be a few of course who manage to roll the lucky genetic dice. (I'm looking at you, Chuck Berry.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Return to The Hang Out.