New Year Resolutions

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: New Year Resolutions

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:28 pm

There's apparently an old saying that goes, "beware of the man who shoots with only one gun, because he knows it very well". Or something like that.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:59 pm

With a PC setup, though, it's very tempting to just drag out ALL the virtual toys. I like the idea of focusing on one synth, though. I agree that it might force some creativity.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Apparently William Orbit made himself use only the Juno-106 for Madonna's frozen, and it's probably one of the best pop records of the 90s.

I've pretty much only used the Fusion in the last few years... but it's kind of cheating, that thing has more synth engines and routings than a lot of soft synths :tounge: and it's kind of not cheating because when programming sounds, I just use the VA engine, sometimes combined with samples... and I still have gigs and gigs that are free where I can upload more samples... hehe
Man I wish my guitar amp would sell so I could fix the Fusion screen and get back to using it...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:39 pm

Do you know how much the screen repair is gonna set you back? I'm just curious. Is it just a dead backlight? Or is the display all messed up some other way?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Well I'm counting on the worst case scenario, which is that the screen assembly from Alesis costs about 250 dollars and it will cost another 100 in labor.

We're saving to buy a house so all hobby money is suspended for the next few years or something... so if I want to fix something I have to sell something else... and I agreed to this, we need a house with an actual backyard and in a subdivision that has at least a swimming pool, since we have 3 well behaved but full-of-energy boys... but it means no money for music stuffs or camera stuffs...

Edit: found it for 210... maybe the prices are coming down... http://www.instrumentalparts.com/alesis ... and-8.html
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Bummer you live so far, I'd come over and help you replace it yourself. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:20 pm

I never got the backlight replaced on the k2000, so don't feel bad, CR. I mean, I even got the part. The repairman is only going to charge $50, or, at least he was only going to charge that a year ago.

I would procrastinate, but I think I'll save it for later.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:22 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I would procrastinate, but I think I'll save it for later.

Ahh, my brother in time management! :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:04 am

Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:03 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Bummer you live so far, I'd come over and help you replace it yourself. :thu:

Thanks for the offer :thu:

I wonder if I could do it. Hmmmm

The thing is, if it's not the screen itself but something else that is causing it, I would waste money. If it's the video portion of the motherboard, for example, I'd be out of a synth and also lost a couple hundred dollars on a screen... :sigh:

Here's why: the screen went out at one point, but then it came back for a few days, then it went out again and didn't come back. So I'm thinking there's a chance that the screen itself is ok. I dunno.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Remember the SQ80 I bought broken a few years ago? The display was dead, and for the money, I thought it would be worth a try to fix it. It turned out that the display was fine, it was a cold solder joint on a pin common to every digit in the display that was bad. I resoldered the pin, and Voila.

You might just have a bad connection.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:27 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Remember the SQ80 I bought broken a few years ago? The display was dead, and for the money, I thought it would be worth a try to fix it. It turned out that the display was fine, it was a cold solder joint on a pin common to every digit in the display that was bad. I resoldered the pin, and Voila.

You might just have a bad connection.

I might. That's what I'm thinking. I hope it's not the main board :( the guy that started that thread and bought the cheap part, ended up losing the Fusion anyway because his problem was the board.

On the other hand, that part that Plink linked to, which worked in the forum thread he also linked to - it seems fairly easy to install. Just put it on and connect it, it seems.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Actually, now I'm wishing I had that SQ80 back. It was kinda neat. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:43 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Actually, now I'm wishing I had that SQ80 back. It was kinda neat. :lol:

Yeah, I always thought that was a pretty neat machine. Sort of a deluxe D-50. The demise of Ensoniq was regrettable.

christianrock wrote:On the other hand, that part that Plink linked to, which worked in the forum thread he also linked to - it seems fairly easy to install. Just put it on and connect it, it seems.

I haven't had time to grok that thread fully, but upon quickly glancing through it I think I remember reading that the guy had to pick up a different voltage from the PS for the new LEDs. I, too, lament the prohibitive distance which precludes me from assistance. Logistics be a bioch. You need a local nerd.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:59 am

I'm not sure we can be much more spread out and still be in the same country. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:04 pm

All we're missing to be completely spread out, is someone up in Maine to join :lol:

So. New Years Resolutions. Yeah. It's hard to talk about it when the thread keeps going on in March :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:10 pm

christianrock wrote:All we're missing to be completely spread out, is someone up in Maine to join :lol:

Yea no kidding :lol: we don't know anyone in hawaii or alaska though. Greg's trips to Canada may suffice for that one though
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Topic: I didn't make any New Years resolutions, since I knew I probably wouldn't keep them anyway. :lol:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby gregwar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:48 pm

north coast !!

i think my resolution was to get a matrix brute ?

it was a long tiem ago

:confuse:

here's an article on 44.1 resolution:
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... don-441khz

interesting how 44.1 came from the technical challenge using 3 samples per line and storage constraints at the time (1982)

the guy in the comments who advocates abandoning the MP3 format or at least higher quality streaming wins

:like:
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:18 am

MetroSonus wrote:
christianrock wrote:Greg's trips to Canada may suffice for that one though

He lives in Canadia. He only travels to The Oil Mines of Athabasca for occasional profiteering.
Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.