Cheesy Christmas Music Favorites

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Cheesy Christmas Music Favorites

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:49 pm

For a while I didn't really like Christmas music - I think I got burned out on it as a kid as there was just TOO MUCH Xmas music going on every year. There still is a bit of that, I think, with some radio stations playing nothing but Xmas music from Thanksgiving to the end of the year, and every single store and restaurant playing it as well.

But having kids and wanting to have a good laugh, I try to make the best of it now :) and I try to find the funny side of it.

Usually the best, cheekiest Xmas music comes from Britain. And it's from the wacky 70s :lol: Probably the miserable weather and too many pints make for some horsing around and launghing.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: Cheesy Christmas Music Favorites

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Not cheesy per se, but this is my favorite Christmas song of ALL TIME. I am learning it on piano. Almost got it nailed. By ear. No sheet music.

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Ok since we're off cheesy, I don't care who you are, this is good. I love Pentatonix.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:23 pm

They are good. I first saw them on the CMA's or something not too long ago, and I think they were just plucked right out of obscurity then. I just can't... I can't get over the way kids are dressing and doing their hair now. I know, I know. I am THAT guy now.

(also, I didn't mean to derail the cheesy part of the thread, I just wanted to share a Christmas tune with you dudes that I like)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:40 pm

That's alright. There's only so much cheesy stuff that isn't actually hopelessly sappy :lol: (I HATE those... you know the ones I'm talking about... the ones where people go slower in tempo and try sooooooooo hard to sound good...)

As for Pentatonix... they've won some vocal thing a few years ago and have been building on popularity ever since... according to the beat box guy Wikipedia page, they have sold millions of records and have over a billion views on their youtube channel at this point...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:45 pm

And now, my most HATED Christmas song, EVER. (and it's because of the synth.)

selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Yes that is probably the most horrible Christmas son in the whole world. It's like he wanted to kill Christmas or something.

The first time I heard it I had no idea it was Paul McCartney, I thought it was some local idiot. After all the delay is completely out of tempo - which is the one thing that annoys me much more than the actual synth sound and makes the song completely unlistenable.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:52 pm

christianrock wrote:Ok since we're off cheesy, I don't care who you are, this is good. I love Pentatonix.

wow r these guys strictly a cappella ? i'm especially impressed by the basso range it sounds almost like a bass harmonics generator is in the mix. their tuning and vibrato is also very tight and well done

the little labs voice of god would help hit those deep bass tones but its not dynamically tuneable (unless you really automate it a lot)

gregwar

Postby christianrock » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Yes, they are just vocals. I'm sure the bass is a bit "tuned up" in studio but it's his voice. I saw a video of them singing live and his voice is actually more overpowering than it appears here.

Ok, so in the subject of horrible Chrstmas songs. While this isn't quite as horrible as the aforementioned McCartney song, and the singing is totally out of tune, the title of it will make you smile. Especially if you lived in Florida and know it's probably sung by most of Pinellas county.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:48 pm

HEH.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:53 am

gregwar wrote:wow r these guys strictly a cappella ? i'm especially impressed by the basso range it sounds almost like a bass harmonics generator is in the mix. their tuning and vibrato is also very tight and well done

Avi Kaplan apparently is a basso profundo, a relatively rare singing range that is quite deep.
Which means Pentatonix would be comfortable doing Russian Orthodox vigils. Or singing "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch". :cool:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Return to The Hang Out.