Can anyone help me?

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Can anyone help me?

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Srs bizness. :mad:

I"m trying to get a gig or two in the future and in preparation for such, I've set up a webpage and i'm stuck on the dreaded "about" page. :samsh:

I just can't seem to do it. I get tongue tied and I sound like a douche. Has anyone done one? Any tips? Any good ones you know of from bands you like that maybe I could use as a template?

I really, really, hate this. I'd have no trouble talking to you about myself in a conversation, but to have to write it down, I struggle. :cry:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Can anyone help me?

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:59 pm

It was a struggle to do mine as well. I'm just not great at talking to myself, but if you want to check it out... it's the reverbnation page in my siggie :)

(probably best not to, as I've had no success at all...)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:17 pm

The last time I did ANYTHING like that was for a press pack. I don't even think people do those anymore?

Just state the facts, sir.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:27 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I just can't seem to do it. I get tongue tied and I sound like a douche.

Then I say OWN IT!

"Metrodouche is a purveyor of warm, cleansing sounds, suitable for all and everyone. Since 19-ought-eventy-hundred, when he was but a weeee lad, Metrodouche has been obsessed with flushing out only the purest, most noble drones, great washes of sonic goodness to flood our desperate earholes and sooth our sonic itch."
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:30 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:"Metrodouche is a purveyor of warm, cleansing sounds, suitable for all and everyone. Since 19-ought-eventy-hundred, when he was but a weeee lad, Metrodouche has been obsessed with flushing out only the purest, most noble drones, great washes of sonic goodness to flood our desperate earholes and sooth our sonic itch."

aw lawd!

:lol:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 pm

What else do you need. Great job, EP :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:56 pm

Similar artists: a motel air conditioner.
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:52 am

I like hotel air conditioners. I can't sleep without it running, every other noise keeps me up otherwise!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:20 am

Well then when to two of you travel the world he can serenade you to sleep every night.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:20 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:I like hotel air conditioners. I can't sleep without it running, every other noise keeps me up otherwise!

Ya mean like the Traveling Sumo Aerobics Team next door? Or the Yukon Chainsaw Jugglers Club upstairs? Or the Monster Mudder Trucker Rally right outside?
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:14 pm

I wrote 2 pages (by hand), typed it up, deleted some stuff then handed it to my friend. I asked them to edit down to a 'short' (1 small paragraph) and long (2-3 paragraphs)

I ended up revising it again, couldn't decide, then he just posted it and the pain was over lol

I googled how to write them first and tried to include a couple influences, how & why I started, etc.

I'm still not happy with it but whatevs lol if I even need an official 'press pack' I'll do it a lot more professionally, with people that actually do that

(since the music industry is a crater there are a&r, managers, publicists, etc still out there free lancing and the rates can be cheap)
gregwar

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:27 pm

Greg, thanks dude. I suppose I should have googled "how to write an about page for your band". it exists.. :facepalm:

I just need some sort of skeleton to hang it on and get me through it. When i'm famous, I'll just pay someone to do it :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:00 pm

by the by, this is an absofukkinloutely hilarious read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... arage_band
MetroSonus

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:07 pm

Is it worth mentioning that there are lots of pages that nobody cares about on wiki?

who cares if a band or individual wrote up information on themselves?
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:39 pm

It's a guide for editors. They're saying that unless your band meets certain criteria, the page will be deleted.

I dont know how true that is, you're right, there's a ton of crap on there. I found it funny though. YMMV.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:02 pm

You are a unique snowflake. Just like everybody else. So no wiki page for you.

Metro, how's the bio going? Post it for the lulz.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Yea I have nothing right now. I guess I just need to keep it simple. The only thing I have to throw in there is a description of the music and maybe a bit about my process / evolution. One thing I did agree with on the wikki thing was the banal band bios. I want to keep away from that. Yet I don't have any unique info to put in either. So it's a mix of trying to sound interesting without having anything to (legitimately) brag about either.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Do something slightly humurous and not self-exaggerating. That alone should get you to stand out from the pack.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Ok.. well here it is.. ignore the markup tags.

Chris Gunn is a relative new comer in the genres of ambient and space music. His compositions, having been dubbed by some as deep space or galactic drone music, are defined by deep and pulsating bass drones that can be counterpointed by shimmering ethereal textures.

Chris' works are also noted for their absence of or minimal presence of any discernible notes or chord changes. This gives the listener an experience of being immersed in an aural environment or soundscape.

In 2011, Chris' debut album <em>Probe</em> was released, which was envisioned as a fictional, experimental soundtrack to a Sci Fi movie. Each track was intended to be tied to a key point in the film, both thematically and for the "vision" it created for the listener.

2015 saw the release of <em>Inner Universe</em>, a long form album with an emphasis on allowing the listener to create their own imaginative journey through the cosmos, hence the name of the album.

Chris is also a featured artist on the Drone Zone channel at SomaFM.com.
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:46 pm

i like :like:
gregwar

Next

Return to The Hang Out.