teh streaming business

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: teh streaming business

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:55 am

The love I have for (most) Apple products is matched only by the loathing I harbor for iTunes. That is the worst POS program in the history of all programs.

I wish Apple would just take off and nuke the entire iTunes from orbit.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:51 pm

ya iTunes is the worst

back in my desktop PC days my roommate had this ultra lite version of win xp. he would kill any and all bloat with apps like win amp

we had so much cpu headroom like 10+ years ago

it's still mind boggling to me the total brute force way most things are coded

a different friend build a Linux desktop out of spare parts for this guy that does pottery and whatnot (lol). we sat there and deleted like major system files and Linux just wouldn't die

if it wasn't for computer music I'd 100% be Linux on a distro with zero bloat
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:54 pm

I use the original iTunes that came with Lion and it works fine for me. Apple keeps wanting me to upgrade but I just say no :idk:

:)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 pm

I used to be organised when it came to my music. I labelled and cataloged all my tapes and LPs.

Then came iTunes and I did my best to keep it organised for maybe a year or two, then just totally gave up and decided not to care anymore. Too much effort for too little benefit.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:37 am

gregwar wrote:back in my desktop PC days my roommate had this ultra lite version of win xp. he would kill any and all bloat with apps like win amp

My main music player is still Winamp 2.80 (2002). :lol:

Some of the "bloat" isn't too bad, it's more the move to managed code bases like .Net (C#) and Swift and Java and the like. Same with most games, they are run on engines and the like (one I'm playing a lot of right now, Cities Skyline, uses Unity, a C# based game engine as an example). This way the system nerds can fiddle around with the best math while most people deal with the application logic / graphics / sound / etc portions and don't have to worry about which algorithm is best for an operation as much. Downside is bigger stuff as you are downloading big libraries of code.

The type of bloat I really hate these days is marketing bloat. I finally installed an ad-blocker a year ago or so, personally I don't mind ads as a concept, but I do mind when ONE MILLION AUTO PLAYING VIDEO ADS bog down the browser. We're in days when even a big guy like Oracle tries to bundle crapware with well used programs like Flash and Java.

Web programming in general is also a pain in the ass, about a zillion open source packages and frameworks exist to try and fix the fact that the "languages of the web" frankly suck.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:37 am

I like MediaPlayerClassic. Very lean, & it just works.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:52 am

christianrock wrote:I use the original iTunes that came with Lion and it works fine for me. Apple keeps wanting me to upgrade but I just say no :idk:

:)

I mean, it works "fine" and all for me too, but it's a system resource hog. Plus, I completely get the reason iTunes is even a thing, but damn. I'm holding out hope that one day Apple will come to their senses and just let me drag and drop as if the iPhone was like an external HDD. Probably likely to never happen, but I can dream. EVERY OTHER PHONE IN THE WORLD is like that.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:58 am

That's the main reason I don't have an ipod. All of my phones have been able to be MP3 players as well, so the point has gotten moot after that. It's weird that's it's been 6-8 years of cell phones and I've only now gotten a phone that actually is stable and works.

But that's probably also what's eroding the iPhone as top dog. It was the only smart phone that worked. But then it lost google maps and then android came into its own. I think I maybe paid for two phones over the last ten years? Every phone between those was a warranty return and then, oh... we no longer sell that phone. Here's the next best piece of shit :facepalm:

Got a nexus 5 now and I love it.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:14 pm

Well, don't get me wrong. I HAET iTunes, but I could never swap over to android, as everything stands. I'm all wrapped up in the warm, cozy, it-always- works Apple ecosystem. iPhones, iPad minis, Apple TVs - I just don't own an Apple laptop or desktop.

Many of my friends with Android phones have complaints about their OS's that I just never seem to have with iOS. Yes, I am a fanboy. Cuz Apple products, while insanely overpriced, are the bomb-diggity.

That said, if you are happy with your 'droid, then that's totally cool with me. I have nothing against them really, and I'm jelly of a few key features that they have that iPhones just don't have (like the ability to be read by a pc as an external drive - drag and drop bliss), but I have never had any problems out of any of the iPhones I've ever owned - and I've had them since the 3G version.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:00 pm

ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 pm

My main complaint with the Android platform in general is that, because Android's audio API flat out sucks, iOS gets all the cool music toys.

Android, we can has no synth. :cry:

(I know a few exist, yes, but nothing like what the Apple folks have.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:48 pm

the biggest issue with 'drag & drop' files is security

with the massive hacking team break a few weeks ago I googled iPhone vulnerabilities a few times and still haven't found much (except for jail broken phones)

hacking teams iOS certificate has been revoked and so even the few corporate 'in-house' apps they were able to sign are no longer a threat going forwards

I view android as a 'Swiss cheese' situation where even *if* Google patches security holes the device fab > carrier > user situ is brutal when it comes to vulnerabilities

I'm not knowledgeable enuf on the subject to really get into it but I don't feel this isn't in any way just a fanboi bias

yes, apple has the tightly controlled 'mall' of phones where file sharing and collaboration are limited by big corporations. but the trade-off of the walled garden is supposedly security
gregwar

Postby gregwar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:13 pm

btw here is a list of known iOS vulnerabilities: http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability ... ne-Os.html
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:19 pm

Yup. Drag and drop is a security issue, and also a pirating issue (which Apple has always been against).
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:20 pm

Also, there's a huge Android vulnerability I've been reading about lately. I wonder if they've patched it yet.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/950-million-android-phones-can-be-hijacked-by-malicious-text-messages/
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:26 pm

gregwar wrote:hacking teams iOS certificate has been revoked and so even the few corporate 'in-house' apps they were able to sign are no longer a threat going forwards
I view android as a 'Swiss cheese' situation where even *if* Google patches security holes the device fab > carrier > user situ is brutal when it comes to vulnerabilities

Yeah, it is. I'm sure the big phone carriers love the fact that Android is flexible and gives them the ability to stuff their usually crappy bloatware on it for making more $$$ or something. But carriers are often very lax at security patches. Rather frustrating.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:20 am

so in an attempt to just git er done I converted mp3s to wavs and uploaded them to band camp :facepalm:

I don't ever recommend u try it the mp3s sound fine-ish but then the band camp compression just makes it aliased to shit on certain tracks

I started a solo project so I could get away from relying on others, then I built a team and have a bunch of busy people helping

ugh teh venting

for now don't download our stuff from band camp ? lol
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:51 am

!!!

:confuse:
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:55 am

is it because you mp3->wav???

what if you upload teh wavs direct?
ClavAnother

Postby gregwar » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:50 am

I use 320kb 'hd' mp3s then convert to wav

I'm starting to suspect the mp3s go to a lower resolution if I download them from my iTunes library or from previous posts to sound cloud

my friend does a lot of the mixing and production so our projects are a little scattered, plus there are 6 or 7 other rappers involved in the comp so getting wav files from everyone could be tricky
gregwar

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.