New 'Puter

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: New 'Puter

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:58 pm

You guys will be the first to know, aside from all my neighbors who will know from the perceived sound of a teenage girl meeting a Jonas brother in person.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:34 pm

nice1 ep

:kraftwerk:
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:54 pm

So I looked into installing a Linux distro as a dual boot on this bad boy... and, OH GOODY, Microsoft apparently gave all other OS's the finger and requires a new Windows 8 machines to use UEFI instead of BIOS. Not only that, but now OSs have to be signed by some magic key.

Argh. Stupid Microsoft. :mad:

Evidently Ubuntu has the magic signing, though, so I guess that's what I'll have to go with. I was gonna use Mint.

And the boot drive isn't really big enough (128 MB SSD). I think I'm gonna shell out for a 500MB SSD.

But.

This bastard boots in 10 seconds. I kid you not. The new Firewire card dropped in without a hitch, Windows loaded a driver for it, no problems, and I had Ye Olde Fireface pumping audio with nary a care in no time. Wooo!

(Also, Diablo plays at max settings without even making the fans spin hard. Oh, yes.)
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:25 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:This bastard boots in 10 seconds. I kid you not.

Dude. My work computer that I am at this very moment typing on is the same. I want one at home. I'm so peanut butter and jelly of you.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:55 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Evidently Ubuntu has the magic signing, though, so I guess that's what I'll have to go with. I was gonna use Mint.
Winders is teh evol. But, does Mint have any advantages over Ubuntu? Besides the nice smell? Ubuntu has kool jungle noices you know...

And ya, you need a bigger SSD. I got the 256G & would have gotten the 512, except at that time the 512 price was way outrageous. They're much more affordable now.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 pm

Bought a 500GB SSD (Samsung Evo 850, $190 Amazon lol), cloned the original drive and swapped... Voila! Lots of space!

I also got Ubuntu installed, all seems well. Except that if I want to run Ubuntu, I first have to boot Windows so I can tell it to restart into Ubuntu. Oh well. :lol: First world problems, amirite?

I would have preferred Mint because it's a bit lighter and doesn't have that stupid Unity desktop. But I can manage with Ubuntu.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.