Geek Peek: OT TV

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Geek Peek: OT TV

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:58 am

So I got this EMERSON TV @ teh Black Friday Wamlart sale of 2013. It crapped out after about ten months of light usage. The so-called warranty on this EMERSON TV was twelve months parts but only THREE MONTHS LABOR! I hate the idea of paying someone else to do my geeking, so I carried the PREMATURELY DEFECTIVE EMERSON TV to the bench.

The guts were very easy to access, just a half dozen or so screws had the back cover off:

Plink Floyd

Re: Geek Peek: OT TV

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:47 am

I couldn't find a schematic for THE SHORT LIVED EMERSON PRODUCT on line, but I figured I hadn't anything to loose by just poking around anyway. The symptoms were thus: upon pressing the ON button, the set would seem to attempt it's normal power-up routine, displaying the EMERSON brand splash screen & cycling through some other tv bootery, but hanging up after a few seconds. "This", I thought, "bodes well for the power supply, probably", of which the pic below is it.

This PS would actually be pretty simple to troubleshoot without a schematic, as opposed to one from an old CRT telly. Iirc, it supplied 5V & 15V to the main board over the ribbon cable, and some other power to the LED strips through the connector on the left side. But, as the two voltages were labeled on the PCB and they measured good, I didn't have to troubleshoot the PS.

However, let me call your attention to the bottom left mounting screw. THE CORNER OF THE PCB WAS CRACKED OFF, AND I'M SURE THE MISSING PIECE WASN'T ANYWHERE INSIDE THE POS!!! Apparently the QC department @ THE EMERSON TV COMPANY thinks this is "good nuff!" I removed the board to see if that point on the PCB was intended to be a chassis grounding point, and it wasn't. But still, SHEESH! (I added the washer, just because OMG REALLY?)

So it's looking like trouble on the main board, rite?

This would be moar harder to troubleshoot without the schemo. I couldn't even find the datasheet for the main IC. The other chip was some kinda DRAM. So I checked the connectors & made sure the power was making it across the ribbon, took off the board & looked for maybe something burned or cracked or poorly soldered, but I found nothing visually.

But before I even decided to open the case, while I was looking for the schem, I noticed that many of THE COUNTLESS DISSATISFIED OWNERS OF EMERSON TV's were ebaying parts from THE MANY DEFECTIVE EMERSON TVs that were floating around. I scored a main board on ebay from a TV with a cracked screen for $25 shipped, bunged it in, and it works again.

To sum up: I think these newfangled digi-tvs would be super easy-peezy to fix, if you had the service docs. And if they weren't the plasma type, of which I hear they have BIG SCARY VOLTS in thems. And actually big volts don't scare me but dude, don't pay me to fix an old plasma set with missing pixies, get a new better LED one, K?

But just not AN EMERSON ONE!
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Good show, Plinky! I'll remember to avoid THE EMERSON BRAND in the future-ture-ture-ure-re-r.

I think Emerson is one of those names that long ago stopped being "Emerson" and is just a name owned by some cheap-ass bottom-of-the-barrel company.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:29 pm

Is that an EMERSON tv?
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:44 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Good show, Plinky!

Well, it's wasn't a dazzling display of EE detective skills by any means. But I thought some might find the pics interesting. It's the first time I've looked inside one, myself.

I forgot to mention, there's just four LED strips to backlight the whole screen. I would have expected a more widely dispersed array of LEDs, but it seems to evenly light the LCD panel.

ElectricPuppy wrote:I think "Emerson" is just a name owned by some cheap-ass bottom-of-the-barrel company.

Righto. When I was googling for parts, I saw they were interchangable with Philips & others.

wiki sez: Funai markets Sylvania, Emerson Radio, Magnavox, Philips, and Symphonic brands.

Funai is the main supplier of electronics to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores, with production quantities easily topping 2 million flat-panel televisions for Black Friday sales alone. All 2 million units sell out within a few minutes. (citation needed)
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:45 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:Is that an EMERSON tv?
Hmm, not sure, let me look...

YES. YES IT IS AN EMERSON BRAND PRODUCT.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:52 pm

Does your geekery know no bounds?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:15 pm

He's done it again.

I wish I was that much of a geek. Instead, I just look like one.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:28 pm

christianrock wrote:
I wish I was that much of a geek. Instead, I just look like one.

Me2
selfinflikted
Down in it

Return to The Hang Out.