Lets talk shop about releasing music

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Lets talk shop about releasing music

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:36 pm

No experience here. I am however told that unless you're making money from it, it doesn't really make much sense to do the trademark.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:43 pm

christianrock wrote:No experience here. I am however told that unless you're making money from it, it doesn't really make much sense to do the trademark.

This is true, but on the other hand, I have worked under the name "selfinflikted" for many, many years and I have noticed recently there's a newer band out there with a name REALLY close to mine. I just want to protect that.

And, eventually, I would like to make money. One day, you guys. One day.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:56 pm

........soon?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:58 pm

I have a plan.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:10 pm

A cunning plan?

Let's hear it!
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:16 pm

I don't want to say too much because:

1) I am prone to "plans" that never actually go anywhere, and

2) If I tell you guys and it doesn't come to pass, I'll feel like an even bigger failure than if I hadn't told anyone.

Suffice it to say that, hopefully soon (read: indeterminate amount of time), there will be music.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Well, I wish you the best, of course. You're very talented and it would not surprise me if this worked out well :thu:

On the other hand, the music market is SO saturated, and so many talented people don't make it, it wouldn't surprise me the other way either. But you won't know the outcome until you try, and sometimes the trying is the more fun part :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:43 pm

christianrock wrote:Well, I wish you the best, of course. You're very talented and it would not surprise me if this worked out well :thu:

On the other hand, the music market is SO saturated, and so many talented people don't make it, it wouldn't surprise me the other way either. But you won't know the outcome until you try, and sometimes the trying is the more fun part :)

Hey, I'll just be happy to have ever completed an ALBUM. Couldn't care less if it sells. But, the gist of the plan is:

1) Album

2) Available for mass market

3) ??

4) Probably not profit.

5) SI life goal ACHIEVED.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Yeah I've also completed my album, which didn't go anywhere, so I'm kind of lacking motivation to do another one. Or anything music-related lately, even.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:37 am

The only way I've ever made money in this industry is playing live shows, or recording other people.

I'm one of those people that has to make music though. I don't make it for other people, I make it so I can hear it. It pleases me. Sometimes, if outsiders get the opportunity to get to know my music on a personal level, they tell me that it does something for them, and that also pleases me.

I say 'always make albums'.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:29 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I'm one of those people that has to make music though. I don't make it for other people, I make it so I can hear it. It pleases me.

So. Much. This.

Also, is it weird that I listen to my *own* music in the car a lot of the time?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:48 pm

Yes, I do like to play music, and even do it for the sake of having fun doing it... but the recording process is a bit stressful and tedious. I'm very methodical and still don't get the results I want at the end... so yes I'll keep playing, but as for making albums, I don't know... I might. When I have more time. Or when I'm with the right group of people and I'm not having to do everything.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 pm

christianrock wrote:Yes, I do like to play music, and even do it for the sake of having fun doing it... but the recording process is a bit stressful and tedious. I'm very methodical and still don't get the results I want at the end... so yes I'll keep playing, but as for making albums, I don't know... I might. When I have more time. Or when I'm with the right group of people and I'm not having to do everything.

I am sad to hear you're disillusioned with recording. I definitely understand your frustration, because I am a bit of a perfectionist (if you can believe that, based on the crap I've posted here) and totally get the same feeling when I don't get desired results.

That said, I am still learning things about production. I'm learning from mistakes, and sometimes mistakes end up being good for a recording. I am still a complete nub about certain aspects of recording, but I love doing it. So I will keep on.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Well maybe not disillusioned with recording... I'd still like to do it... it's just fallen back in the list of priorities.

I'm enjoying leading a group of musicians again, for a couple months I've been the band leader at our church. :jam: so I'm definitely not disillusioned with making music... or playing with others.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:21 pm

It's the imperfections that make it human. I gave up on perfectionism when I was 12. I couldn't justify setting myself up for disappointment for the rest of my life. Maybe it's a gift being able to appreciate the good things for what they are and find the good in something that appears bad on the surface.

Also I acknowledge that I'll never know what it is like for others, but I do like to attempt to encourage people to "go for it" with regards to creating things.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:01 pm

I'll agree with all of that, Clav... while at the same time saying that what you call perfection might be different that what I call it :) To me, it's the minimum acceptable quality... and I'm coming from a slightly less talented perspective, I guess :)

Last year I made the mistake to put a song in a Christian Radio song contest... and my friends heard it. Well, my son had just been born and I was very sleep deprived, and so when I heard it a couple days later, I saw that while the production was decent, the rhythm of the guitar didn't match the rhythm of the drums... and the singing was pretty un-inspired. A couple of my more sincere friends said "your song sounded weird...". They probably meant it sucked big time :) And that kind of put a "bad artist" feel, because even at the church where I was at, I was never invited to do anything music-related anymore. I didn't switch churches for that reason, but I'm in another one now, that we like better especially for our kids, and I'm slowly "rebuilding the brand" as market-lingo would say it... I do have a good group of musicians with me now, something I was lacking at the other place, where nobody wanted to do anything with me music-wise.

Anyway, that event kind of reinforced the notion that there's a minimum acceptable level of quality. With my CD it's the same thing - I put 14 songs in it but honestly some 3-4 should have been left out. They're just not good - or are not good recordings, I think the songs themselves aren't bad. They're just badly recorded/executed. And one of the songs, which actually works really well live for some reason, was re-done by me 3 times, and it still didn't come out good (but wasn't the worst one either). Anyway, I had been working on that album by myself for so long that I just didn't hear the suckiness, and my wife doesn't know anything about music to tell me otherwise.

tldr; version:
If I record again, I will
1. Make sure it rocks before putting it out
2. Work with others, I'm never going to work alone again because after a while I'm not critical anymore, I just want to be done with.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:31 pm

you absolutely need to get back on that horse. :clap:

however.... you can put tracks on soundcloud and other places and make them private, so that people can't find them but you can still share here. "out there", yes, but we here still want to know how you're doing and watch your progress. That's a large part of the fun of being here. Aside from day to day shenans.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:05 am

MetroSonus wrote:you absolutely need to get back on that horse. :clap:

however.... you can put tracks on soundcloud and other places and make them private, so that people can't find them but you can still share here. "out there", yes, but we here still want to know how you're doing and watch your progress. That's a large part of the fun of being here. Aside from day to day shenans.

All of this. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:47 pm

christianrock wrote:I'll agree with all of that, Clav... while at the same time saying that what you call perfection might be different that what I call it :) To me, it's the minimum acceptable quality... and I'm coming from a slightly less talented perspective, I guess :)

In order to even attempt to release something on radio or other commercial outlets, you need to conform to a "minimum acceptable paradigm" from my viewpoint. This is even more so nowadays than before, it seems like most things on the radio have a fairly pigeonholed stylistic parameter guideline. This guideline does take a lot of work to get at -- it does require passionate singing, spot on instrument work, well done production, etc. Commercial releases are not slopped together. This effort IMHO would be very difficult to do by yourself with a full time job, unless you are the type that holes up in your studio and does nothing else after work.

I've been trying to improve my "quality" of my individual recordings personally. I really didn't have the time before when I was doing band stuff (as well as other hobbies). The few songs I put out for friend consumption probably didn't go through enough editing and probably didn't get skimmed over enough. Better than nothing though, but I'd still rather improve and continue learning now that I have a touch more time.

I have no interest in turning out radio friendly material, because it would require way more effort, and for all the full time work needed there is very little chance of me exceeding my current day job salary. I would also have to strongly nix any of my "musical quirks" which would take more time than its worth, and run against one of my complaints about modern pop (that more than ever, individuality has been killed out of the music, and it really is harder than ever to tell one artist from another.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby midinut » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:04 pm

I put out my first CD back in 2009ish. Copyrighted the whole thing as a "works". It hasn't done diddly squat on iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, et al. It has, strangely enough, picked up some play from Reverb Nation in Japan (which is a market I would've never thought of). Maybe someday I can travel to Japan and get mobbed at the airport by a shitload of Japanese girls in schoolgirl outfits. Oh well, one can dream! :idk:

Outside of that, I've got another CD worth just about ready to release and a third CD worth ready to start mixing and putting the mojo on. I remember the feeling I had when I released my first one though. It was like, mark that one off the bucket list ... and damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. I didn't care whether I ever heard it on the radio, or it ever charted or hit it big. I was just proud to accomplish it.

I say that we all need to do it. To get it out of our systems if nothing else. But it's nice to have peoples like you folks and a couple of other forums that will give you feedback and constructive criticism. It all helps build our skills as well as our character. Okay, I'll shut up now!
midinut

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.