Lets talk shop about releasing music

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Lets talk shop about releasing music

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:23 pm

To get it out of our systems if nothing else.

Isn't that why anyone does anything, particularly me, I suppose? :lol:

I'm not doing it for any other reasons than personal pleasure,as I'm sure that's the case with all of us here.

Just toss in an additional 2 cents, I came from a pretty hard core AV geek background. I knew the ins and outs of tv shows, movies, special effects etc. I really dug the stuff. Fast foward to now and I've really come to appreciate a hobby that has some tangible output. Maybe it's me, maybe it's a certain type of mentality that we all share to varying to degrees, but I find even more so now with the internet, most of my life has been based around consumption, which more or less has it's roots in being passive. And long story short, I don't want to live that way anymore.

I look at older guys now, with their fishing, whittlin' and old cars and stuff and I get it. It brings balance to our lives to be able to put your hands on something and see something tangible come out of it, even if it is just for a few moments. And that's also something you can share.

But it's nice to have peoples like you folks and a couple of other forums that will give you feedback and constructive criticism. It all helps build our skills as well as our character.

exactly. It builds friendships. with the right sorts of people anyway... :lol:

And performing and getting it out there is also another aspect. No, I'm not going for the $$ or ready radio stuff. But it is an accomplishment and what it takes to get there is character building and everything you said above.

It's the road less taken.. it's a challenge, but I think it's worth it. and I think 99% o it is just sticking with it.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:02 pm

interesting readings

in Canada there are trademark/copyright offices. you go there and just fill out the paperwork

it's important to do a search first to see if you're infringing on sumones stuff first but then after that it's just a matter of forms, etc

I was looking more into starting a label/business but I think as an artist you can trademark/copyright independently

as for the label/business idea if there isn't much income from it then it's prolly not worth the hassle. my close friend has a label (DEAFWISH) so I just release stuff with him (he's featured on my tracks dj found dead)
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:08 pm

I thought there were special stipulations for musicians too, Greg.

I am an ASCAP member, and I think membership through that organization provides *some* protections for your works, but I am not at all familiar with what those may be. I just remember that when I joined my first "serious" band years ago, I was prompted to sign up at ASCAP.

Any of you have ASCAP cards?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Do you have to pay a membership fee? How does it work?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:27 pm

christianrock wrote:Do you have to pay a membership fee? How does it work?

There are no annual fees. I can't remember if there was a fee up front (I want to say there was, but I honestly can't remember since it's been so long ago). At the time, I was familiar with the protections the organization offered, but I have since forgotten and haven't kept up with anything that could've changed (this was pre digital music, for the most part).

As far as I'm aware, I'm still a member. I still have my card and ID number.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.