Lets talk shop about releasing music

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Lets talk shop about releasing music

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm about to close out my second album, which I give both away free on band camp.

I would like to, just to at least say I did, offer something for sale, for those who wish to take their contribution / fandom up to another level. At the most basic level, i'd like to offer a shirt, a DVD with all of my music so far on it, maybe a sticker or something.

What else can i do that would make it something special? I'd want it to be an art piece or contain something that someone would be happy to have, above you're normal jewel case thing. My theme is like space and stuff.

I've got a friend I'm trying to line up to do some art work for me, but aside from that, :idk: I thought it would be cool to be able to put it all into a thick DVD case, I've seen those in places where you get like a book of art, a DVD or something all in one box, but I can't seem to dig up any.

Ideas, like if i were asking you to buy something, that you could get for free, what would make it special, to you?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Lets talk shop about releasing music

Postby christianrock » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:20 pm

That is an interesting question that I have myself... in these days where music is seen as free, what do you do to make it have any value? I'll be interested to see what everybody else says...

...sorry I can't be of any help, btw...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm sadly at a loss for a serious, practical, sane suggestion.

They probably didn't want a space vag with a rubber stamp on the base of your logo, anyway.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:13 pm

uh say what now? :freak: :lol:

I thought maybe a book with photos of my synths I used? These are pretty cheap.. what if i put in a figure with each set too?

MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:53 pm

I have many friends and associates that insist on paying for the music they listen to. If they all do, then others do as well. Maybe there is an impression that nobody pays because that's what you typically hear about. Like, you're just not hearing from the folks that do pay.

If say more than half the people I talk to about this pay.

The rest are like me. :freak:
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 pm

I pay, but I actually like old fashioned CDs... just like I held on to vinyl for years before CDs were already out.

So yeah I pay for my music, but I realize I'm probably a luddite for it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:31 pm

STG is releasing a record

On teh vinyl

:cool:.?
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Too bad my vinyl setup is in Brazil. God knows if it even works...

But STG is awesome and he definitely SHOULD be releasing vinyl :cool: ┗(^∀^)┛
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:50 am

piracy is piracy. it's messed up but the alternative is 'streaming'. there's like 2 major labels (or 3?) after all the mergers, etc. they get huge up front pay days in the millions for access to their catalogues and artists make f*ck all

I buy CDs for my truck but mostly don't want to give major labels squat I'd rather give the artist $5 in their pay pal and stream everything for free than give spotify, pandora, songza, rdio, etc money. I do buy music on iTunes too

anyways with my last release I figured playing on soundcloud would be free same with bandcamp. if you want to download it (and give the artist money) it's like $6 or $7.

I like the idea of the 'deluxe' package.

back when top spin was a thing NIN ghosts, saul stardust, sonoio, etc (that was 5+ years ago) NIN gave away a 'sampler' like 4 tracks, full download $5, cd $? then a deluxe vinyl package & art book (expensive).

NIN ghosts was an indy release and I liked the price levelling strategy. sadly I don't have 20 years if major label pr before going indy. labels are still good at making people famous lol

I still have an unreleased d&b/jungle album with my main collab knife. I did a bunch of photography of concrete 'brutalism' it was called koncrete jungle.

i wanted to do gallery showings and spin d&b at after parties. people could buy prints and the cd would be essentially free (or $5 donation).

the music wasn't strong enough to warrant this kind of epic effort (altho brutalism architecture is a thing and the concept was tight). I want to do art gallery/after party shows at some point tho (I've always done fine art & music my whole life)
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:11 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I have many friends and associates that insist on paying for the music they listen to. If they all do, then others do as well. Maybe there is an impression that nobody pays because that's what you typically hear about. Like, you're just not hearing from the folks that do pay.

If say more than half the people I talk to about this pay.

The rest are like me. :freak:

I pay. Anyone with a conscience would, I would think.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Veracohr » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:28 pm

gregwar wrote:NIN ghosts was an indy release and I liked the price levelling strategy.

Plus it was a lot better than the releases immediately before and after it.
Veracohr

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 pm

I think nowadays it is increasingly hard to qualify value where music is concerned. If I put out an album, and sold 10,000 copies I wouldn't be as happy as I would be if I put out an album for FREE and 100,000 people heard it (better yet, liked it!).

Personally, the value is in how many ears it reaches.

Does that make sense?

(Of course and understandably, artists want to make money from their artistic labors. NOTHING wrong with that)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Except, if you sold 10,000 copies and your net profit on each copy was, say, 6 bucks after production and manufacturing costs, you'd have 60,000 dollars in your pocket (before Uncle Sam took a slice, of course). And maybe you'd be able to quit your day job and do music for a living.

To me it is possible to conceive that it would be a better outcome for you than selling 100,000 copies for free :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:36 pm

christianrock wrote:Except, if you sold 10,000 copies and your net profit on each copy was, say, 6 bucks after production and manufacturing costs, you'd have 60,000 dollars in your pocket (before Uncle Sam took a slice, of course). And maybe you'd be able to quit your day job and do music for a living.

To me it is possible to conceive that it would be a better outcome for you than selling 100,000 copies for free :)

Oh definitely. I wouldn't mind $60 grand for sure. But my point is trying to put a qualitative value on music these days. It's tough.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Putting a qualitative value on music has always been tough, or has been at least since the advent of pop music. There's always been horrible music that outsold what we would agree is great music.

Actually it goes to well before that. I used to have this Mozart t-shirt that I would wear everywhere, it had a drawing of Mozart and one of his quotes: “I pay no attention whatever to anybody’s praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings.”

I guess back then there were people who thought he sucked. Thankfully he didn't listen to these people...

Mozart had great quotes...

“Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.”

“It is a mistake to think that the practice of my art has become easy to me. I assure you, dear friend, no one has given so much care to the study of composition as I. There is scarcely a famous master in music whose works I have not frequently and diligently studied.”
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Yep. Mozart was a pretty swell dude. :like:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:41 pm

christianrock wrote:I guess back then there were people who thought he sucked. Thankfully he didn't listen to these people...

My favorite quote regarding people who Those That Think You Suck comes from another classical composer, Jean Sibelius... "Pay no attention to what the critics say; no statue has ever been put up to a critic."

Those who flood the web with trashy snark in search of the easy clicks, be warned. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:48 pm

soundwave106 wrote:"Pay no attention to what the critics say; no statue has ever been put up to a critic."

That. Is fucking inspirational. I love it.

Also, even if you didn't care for Mozart's music.. how could anyone say he sucks? I can see the genius in his compositions, even if I don't necessarily like *all* of them (which I don't).
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:32 pm

On a related tangent to this topic:

Have any one of you any experience in federal applications for trademarking? I would like to have my pen name, studio name and logo trademarked. I spoke with a trademark/patent attorney this morning, and got some pricing. I wonder what kind of success I would have going about this sans legal representation.

Do any Treehouse Folk have any experience and sage advice in this area?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:06 pm

absolutely no experience whatsoever. But I'm interested to hear about it!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Next

Return to The Hang Out.