social medias

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

social medias

Postby gregwar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:27 pm

so I've decided to start swagwar artist pages on social media

I've had the twitter and Instagram ones for a while, plus a soundcloud and YouTube channel. my fb page wasn't an artist page so I started one to keep it separate.

(my friend started a new job selling cars and bombards everyone constantly about it. I didn't want to go that route so I think having separate pages is better)

does anyone have any advice or links on this stuff ? I'm gna try to mine some of my existing social media but I mainly want to build likes, views, retweets, plays, etc from scratch
gregwar

Re: social medias

Postby gregwar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:32 pm

right now their just existing as 'place holders' so I know what links to send, put on business cards, etc

also I think it's important to give people options (bandcamp and soundcloud, google+ and Facebook, twit pics and Instagram, etc).

while having all these options is it important to not be really repetitive ? like exact cross posts ? how often should I post ? is there some kind of windowing strategy ? etc

I have some friends that know about this stuff but I was wondering what the tree house thinks ?

*edit: I think it's important to have separate artist websites that aren't fb, etc. like a swagwar.com page. I mentioned it to my friend that does web stuff
gregwar

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:00 am

I have no professional advice. My only comment is that people that post the exact same thing on FB, Instagram and Twitter are annoying.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:00 pm

:)
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:50 pm

I have no pro advice either. But I would say don't post anything unless you have something meaningful to say; news, releases or something significant. But balance that with staying active with your output.

I personally think that whole "make social media personal" thing is a load of crap. Yea sure, make your products personal, connect with your audience etc, but don't sit there and spam the hell out of it. Don't preen for attention etc. That's my beef with quite a few bands and people I know. I would be professional and keep yourself clean. Obviously you have to sit within your comfort zone and what you're personally trying to accomplish, but I find with constantly using a social media presence, you end up with a lot of drama and hangers on that just want free stuff. The attention may feel great, but it's generally not worth it, especially when you can't move any of those people to buy anything.

I would use a FB page as a clearing house and run all of your feeds through it. use instagram to post gear / live shots, sound cloud for songs etc. Sure, cross link your accounts, but keep each one unique with FB as the feed aggregation.

Just my two cents. :wave:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:27 pm

My pages are about as successful as refrigerators in the north pole, so I can't give you advice there :) I think you're on the right track though, from what I can tell. Good luck :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:05 pm

My work sent me to a social media surgery a few weeks ago to learn about this stuff, mostly was asking questions re the kind of stuff we do which is very different I guess to promoting your music... I think the general ideas were don't spam and generally keep it positive, and only post stuff that's worth posting.

We've been using something call SumAll which gives stats for your twitter... dunno if you want to give that a look at? It gives a good idea of your tweet and retweet 'reach', which seems to depend as much as anything on who your 'friends' are.

One of our 'friends' has about 1500 followers so a retweet from her has the same 'reach' as 100 people with 15 followers... you get the idea how that is worked out.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby gregwar » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:07 am

ya I suppose our feeds get annoying with vaguebooking and other drama stuff. I guess the things that annoy us is the kind of stuff we shouldn't post

I've had twitter for a few years. I tried to get the gregwar handle and it wasn't avail so I went with swagwar, that's how I picked my rap name lol

@pc
I've heard/seen those twitter stat things. afaik the best strategy is to just come up with good posts. you can see who re follows you and who isn't following you and delete them, etc

I think it's important to have 'organic' followers as a priority. you can buy likes, retweets, followers and 'fans'.

I know someone with 7000 or 8000 likes on their page but really only 100 of those are 'real' afaik. there's a danger you start to drink you own cool aid, not do house parties/small shows, etc

the time/place for 'payola' IMHO is advertising. they have fire sales on add space and you can buy small chunks, start to grow a presence especially leading up to a release or tour

a grey area is paying to be on music blogs. the vulgar extreme is paying for praise/reviews (like many blogs pushing products). not as bad is placement, sites like world star are a famous example. if that could be converted into social currency it might be worth it for major releases. online marketing is weird lol

if somehow i get lots of hits on YouTube I might try to monetize it. it would have to be a huge amount of views tho. if I was getting like $4 or $5 month and annoying the sh*t out of potential fans it's prolly not worth it lol
gregwar

Postby Purity_Control » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:20 pm

I've heard/seen those twitter stat things. afaik the best strategy is to just come up with good posts. you can see who re follows you and who isn't following you and delete them, etc

I work for a not for profit organization connected with disability rights (short explanation) so the sort of things I'd be asking questions about aren't really to do with making money, so much as keeping a presence and keeping ourselves in a position to both disseminate information and have things brought to our attention.

We do run workshops and conferences though too, which we're definitely failing to use social media to promote as well as we could, most of that just goes out to our email contacts and sometimes to our contacts contacts.

So most of how I'm coming at this is more about maintaining relationships rather than trying to sell something as such.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:23 pm

I would think, though, that maintaining those kinds of relationships would lead to sells. Or at least, it wouldn't hurt.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:40 pm

I Agree it does.

In my experience though there's two approaches. A professional, who appreciates his fans, sincerely, and who also maintains an artist / fan relationship that is established on the fact that the artist is running a business. Yes, you can be a low key artist, but i still feel that you need to be paid and or respected for the investment you make in yourself and that reciprocates equally with how you treat your fans, bookee, talent management, venues etc.

The second and the approach I don't like is the big fish small pond one. There always seems to be a larger than local character that does nothing but create drama everywhere they go before finally getting banned from every bar and club in the city. Just don't be that guy... :lol:

And Im just taking that from a layman's perspective. I have yet to put it into action, but when I do, I have no doubt that it will work in my (or anyone elses) favor.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby gregwar » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:11 am

well in a way u guys are addressing a bigger issue which is why we do music in the first place

some of us do it for purely self indulgent reasons (nothing wrong with that I did it for many years). some of us want to be part of a scene, be one of the 'performers' on stage, share our lives/thoughts with people, and (likely the worst reason) to get rich and famous

there are many other reason too, one of my friends simply can't help it he just grinds to stay sane, etc. I don't do it for financial gain or notoriety but in order to get your music out there's this game we play now. part popularity contest, part ego and id, etc

I think it's almost crazy to think you will get any kind of meaningful payday but we should be compensated for our time. I also like being part of a scene and to be one of the artists, either on stage or behind the scenes that's sorta how I've always identified myself

anyways, in order to get your music out there and play the game social currency is now necessary IMHO. my friend that has a start up told me to build it out at a time I was trying to wean it off, so here we are I guess lol
gregwar

Return to The Hang Out.