Network TV

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Network TV

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:38 am

My wife's too used to channel surfing. :(

I'm not sure how because cable TV has pretty much become garbage in the last 10 years.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:45 am

We haven't "cut the cord" yet for a few reasons:

1) We have shows on premium channels that we watch. Most of them are on HBO, however, and they now offer a standalone service. So we are closer than ever to dropping cable completely.

2) I cannot stand that Hulu introduced commercials into their feeds on the paid subscription service. This is unacceptable to me, so we dropped our subscription. Plus, we still DVR shows and start to watch them at least 15 minutes after the live feed so that we can just fast forward through advertisements.

3) Our cable package is relatively inexpensive since everything is bundled through AT&T.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:29 pm

Yeah, I was surprised when she told me that Hulu doesn't even offer a no-ads option for more money. I'd pay more money to skip ads entirely.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:50 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Yeah, I was surprised when she told me that Hulu doesn't even offer a no-ads option for more money. I'd pay more money to skip ads entirely.

I'm not sure how it is nowadays, but "in the beginning..." there was Hulu and Hulu Plus. Hulu was free, had a smaller catalog, and contained ads. Hulu Plus was subscription-based, had the full catalog, and had no commercials. And what's worse, Hulu Plus' catalog of ads is small, so you can actually end up seeing the SAME AD BACK TO BACK, which drove me nuts! Nope. Not gonna do that.

But now, there are ads. ADS YOU GUYS.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:02 pm

I just don't have any patience for ads anymore. :mad:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Which is why I always thought it was so funny that some people watch the Superbowl for the ads.

I don't think I'll ever understand that. It's just ads. ADS YOU GUYS
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:31 pm

Yea, CR, but they're SUPER ADS.

SUPER.

:samsh:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:10 am

i follow certain shows

sometimes they're on tv but usually only once a week or whatevs

when i try to just sit and watch whatever i can't find anything i like

i'll usually google top 100 movies on imdb, dvd/stream releases on rotten tomatoes, etc

on netflix in canada we have a limited selection so when i search usually i can't find what i'm looking for

i'm likely going to cancel my netflix, except sometimes they have their own shows like daredevil, orange is the new black, and now i might watch sense8

my shows right now are true detective season 2, mr robot, and maybe wolfs hall
gregwar

Postby midinut » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:17 am

We've been cable free (except for da internet part) for almost 3 years now. We subscribe to Netflix with the one DVD mail option, we also have Hulu Plus (and must agree the ads suck) and as members of Amazon Prime we get the Amazon Prime Free videos as well. Between all those sources we get about everything we want to watch (except for Big Bang Theory which we were addicted to). We've almost caught up on Hawaii 5-0 (new one not old) or at least caught up on all they have posted on Netflix (Seasons 1-4). We used to get into Mike & Molly and Two Broke Girls on network. We've also, thanks to Netflix, been turned on to some series that we never would've found otherwise (Warehouse 13, Eureka, Eli Stone, Lost Girl, Weeds, Revenge, House of Cards, and the list goes on. Me and the wife try to stop what we're doing every night about 10 or so and we'll watch either a movie on DVD, or we'll catch an hour show and a half-hour comedy before heading towards bed. No, we don't miss network TV. But I do miss Big Bang Theory dammit!
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:31 am

I've been pay TV free since about '89. Unless you count Amazon Prime. They haz lotsa stuff.

Also, teh BigBang is free here, but they have only the latest six or eight epis for gratis. They'll show moar if you sign up for something called CBS All Access, but wut is it I don't even
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:43 am

btw, rite nao I'm binging on ST:DS9. It never clicked with me first time around. I'm kinda digging it now though. Howbout that Quark rite? lolol

And after that, I'm going to watch the complete collection of Seinfeld, of which somebody loaned me the box set. I did not like any of the shows that I randomly saw from the first five or so seasons. But then, it seems that they finally found whatever it is that worked. So Ima see if I can observe what the difference is. Unless you lot already know...
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:17 am

Teh Wife just started bingeing on Seinfeld today. Lulz. We have pretty much what Midi has: Netflix for DVDs, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. But we've been satching Big Bang Theory on Prime, why you no haz, Midi?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:13 pm

I fail to see the advantages of Amazon Prime. Maybe you guys can enlighten me.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:49 pm

christianrock wrote:I fail to see the advantages of Amazon Prime. Maybe you guys can enlighten me.

It's better than Netflix, if you like network tv stuff. About like Hulu. It'd be dumb to have Hulu AND Amazon Prime, imo, because they're extremely similar. But with Prime, you not only get movies and shows, you also get the free shipping from Amazon on orders of course, AND you get access to THEIR music streaming service. It's actually a nice little package of goodies. We have it. It's definitely worth the money for us.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby midinut » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Regarding Amazon Prime, it's like $99 per year but you get free two-day shipping on anything you buy on Amazon (that has a Prime sticker on it). We order a shitload of stuff from Amazon. It's the devil man! So there is that.

I have not done a search for Big Bang Theory in a long time. I just assumed CBS was still keeping it all to themselves. I'll look on Prime and see if I can find it again.
midinut

Postby christianrock » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:38 pm

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:45 pm

wait... you mean it's NOT??

*mind blown*

*pew*
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man