Network TV

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Network TV

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:55 am

In case anyone's a fan of The Big Bang Theory (as I am), and you don't spend much time at the networks (as I don't), you may be unaware that the hour long season premiere is tonight, Mon 22.

I am surprised they changed nights.

I also hope they get a girl for Rajesh. He is getting annoying.
Plink Floyd

Re: Network TV

Postby christianrock » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:24 pm

People still watch TV?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:02 pm

I don't have tv
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm

I have a tv, AND I watch it. I'm a dying breed, I tell ya. But I do not watch TBBT because I don't find it funny. I have been compared to that guy on the show, Sheldon/Shelton whateverhisnameis. I do not see the resemblance.

Anyway, I synthed a bit this weekend.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Big Bang Theory is one of the very few things that I watch TV for. I'm curious to see how they resolve Sheldon running away.

And yes, Raj needs a girlfriend. Seriously.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 am

selfinflikted wrote:I have a tv, AND I watch it. I'm a dying breed, I tell ya. But I do not watch TBBT because I don't find it funny. I have been compared to that guy on the show, Sheldon/Shelton whateverhisnameis. I do not see the resemblance.

A lot of people online seem to either really love Big Bang Theory, or (because they're probably NEEERRRRRDDSSS!!!!) really hate on Big Bang Theory with outraged terms like "Blackface For Nerds".

I'm kind of on the "meh" end, it's basically another fish out of water / opposites attract style sitcom. I don't find it terribly funny either, but I don't find it awful either; basically this is the reaction for any Chuck Lorre's product that I've been exposed to. A lot of people disagree with me, of course, more power to them, enjoy. :)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:56 am

Given the choice between TV and internet, I'd say gladly junk all the TV sets in the house. But it's really not much of a sacrifice, since almost all the TV I watch is either streamed or archived.

It's like saying "Yeah, I'll swear off Teh Bottle (just as long as it still comes in cans, kegs & rubber boots).
Plink Floyd

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Yup can NOT watch live TV anymore. Can't stand the ads. I just record/download everything so I can skip ads if there are any.

I used to have a fancy shmancy app that automatically detected and deleted ads from my recordings, but something went wrong at one point and I couldn't be bothered trying to fix it.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:10 am

sheldonflikted wrote:I do not watch TBBT because I don't find it funny. I have been compared to that guy on the show, Sheldon/Shelton whateverhisnameis.

Yeah, I can see how Sheldon wouldn't like a show about Sheldon.

They wouldn't get it right.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:44 pm

Speaking of ads. Now when I want to watch something on youtube, the stupid ads come up. Even in the middle of a song. So now we can watch TV without ads (by skipping them, as Bonso said). But we gotta watch youtube ads. It's all coming full circle... someone will always make money off the eyeballs that are watching :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:00 am

Apparently adblock plug-in on Chrome removes those YouTube ads. I haven't tried it yet.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:17 pm

BonsoWonderDog wrote:Yup can NOT watch live TV anymore. Can't stand the ads. I just record/download everything so I can skip ads if there are any.

A million times, this.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:33 am

selfinflikted wrote:90's were my teenage years, so that's what shaped my fragile little mind the most, probably. :smoke:

OK, here's something I've lately pondered: In the 70s, we tuned into Happy Days, a show about teen life of twenty years before. In the 90s, That 70s Show used the same chrono-retro nostalgia to exploit the same target audience of young adult spenders. Both shows were very successful.

So why haven't we seen this formula repeated? Re-hashing ideas is what Hollywood does best, so what gives?

I would hate to think that it's because TV writers simply can't identify and catalog the signature issues of any decade after the 70s. But sadly, when I try to do that same thing, I come up with a mighty sparse list.

The 50s zeitgeist is easy: teens were experimenting with sexuality and nascent Rock & Roll (insert cause and/or effect debate here). 60s are even easier: better rock music, add drugs. The 70s were EXACTLY like the show. I seen it. I was it.

I suppose the time to cash in on 80s nostalgia is past, but what would "That 80s Show" be like? Teens in parachute pants watching MTV, griping about how expensive pot has become? I dunno... The 80s were a great time to be a young adult. Especially if you were a keyboard player. I mean, if a nerd like me could have fun...

But what about the 90s? What are the shared memories of those teens? Can they do more than reminisce about 90210 & Melrose Place?

Or the 00s? Reruns of LOLcat vids?
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 am

ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:21 am

I never saw that movie. But that guy reminds me of Exidor.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:54 pm

There *was* a "That 80s Show", but it fizzled after one season. :idk:

Basically culture has splintered and there's a lot less of the common-mega-shared experience. The 80s probably had *some* things that were kind of a common experience -- MTV, video games, certain movie and TV trends (Teen sex comedies and slasher films! John Hughes! Cartoons that were half hour product ads!).

But even those parachute pants and breakdancing thing that became a fad hid a subgenre, such as the electro music that was fueling it, and all that was going on in the urban decay of Chicago and Detroit (that later gave birth to the original techno etc.). :idk:

The 1970s had submovements here and there, but there was only a few movements everyone knows about (the hippies, disco, etc.) By the time the 1980s came around, you had the punks (which got subdivided into hardcore punk, skinhead, skaters, etc.), the goths, the metalheads (subdivided into glam and thrash), etc.

After the 1990s, *everything* is a subgenre; there are few water cooler moments and universal styles. I remember talking to someone about this with animation. The last big water-cooler series started in the late 1980s / early 1990s (Simpsons, South Park, King of the Hill, Family Guy, etc.). Everything else seems to have fizzled on network TV. What's noteworthy is more genre-specific or cultish, whether it's marketed for adults (the Adult Swim stuff like Venture Brothers and Aqua Teen Hunger Force and the like) or even the kids stuff (like Adventure Time and My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic).

Likewise, in music, the 90s alternative music explosion was the last big music movement (everyone knows of Nirvana and the like for instance), after that, it's very, very splintered. My family didn't know who One Direction were for instance; even though they are huge enough to fill stadiums, if you don't have teen girls, you won't really be exposed to them. Likewise I doubt they would know any of the big modern country artists, or any of the big modern hip-hop / trap artists that get lots of clicks on Youtube -- and that's just the more popular stuff, the stuff that people who like slightly less popular genres (all the indie stuff for instance) will make fun of as not real music. There's a few pop stars everyone seems to know about, yes, your Justin Biebers and Taylor Swifts and the like, but I don't know too many people who actually like them that are over 16, so I don't know how many nostalgia feels you can get from that.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Yeah, I can't think of one thing uniquely '90s to m-- wait.

Pogs.

there ya go. :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:30 pm

As an aside, there is another "That 80's Show" only it isn't called that. It's called The Goldbergs, and is supremely hilarious (mostly because of the mom). I highly recommend it.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:40 pm

Haven't watched it, but I've seen ads.

Has anybody else told the cable company to stick it yet? We sent our cable box back and I got Teh Wife an Amazon Fire TV box thing. She Hulu's all the live-long-day, now. She's been binge-watching CSI for weeks now. :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:54 pm

Yes, I think we haven't had cable for about a year now.

My wife goes once a week to the local library (remember those??) and she gets books and DVDs for the kids.

As for her and me, we watch maybe a movie every 3 months or so. So we just do the Dropbox thing. Not even worth getting Netflix.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Next

Return to The Hang Out.