Metro ... So Not Fair

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Metro ... So Not Fair

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:16 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:You're kinda giving some weight to the idea I've been kicking around a while now about unloading all this hardware and just going entirely ITB. There's little that can't be done on a PC now, and sometimes I wonder, "just WHAT value do I see in this hardware?"

Well, I don't have much (non-Eurorack) hardware now, either. But hardware does have a few "subtleties" of sonic flavor that are a useful counterpoint to the perfect audio of the VST world. I still have my Roland D-50, for instance... IMHO, no VST has accurately captured the magic of the D-50's shitty converters and weird resonance. :lol:

Also, assuming like many old school synth players you actually play the piano keys and don't just program in Beatz N Loopz with your mouse, it's worth keeping around some old hardware. Because many modern USB controllers suck royally when it comes to being an actual playable keyboard. I may not need the sounds of my Andromeda *as* much these days (still use it a lot though), but it is one of my two master controllers for VSTs for this reason.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:25 pm

I went mostly in-box and look where that got me. No new songs to speak of except one that I finished last year. And it sucked.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Well, I don't have much (non-Eurorack) hardware now, either. But hardware does have a few "subtleties" of sonic flavor that are a useful counterpoint to the perfect audio of the VST world. I still have my Roland D-50, for instance... IMHO, no VST has accurately captured the magic of the D-50's shitty converters and weird resonance. :lol:

I think that's fun too, I also think we're kind of niche in that regard. I think it's interesting how younger synth guys are into them partly for their artefacts, while older guys that used them when they were new and have more or less moved onto new / faster means of synthing and productioning. I always found it interesting how Howard Jones, despite his love for the JP8, is fine with using JP8v through the headphone jack of his laptop. Granted, that's merely a work around for having to take a real one live. But I think it also showcases how they aren't as hung up on "tone" as we can be sometimes. :lol:

Also, assuming like many old school synth players you actually play the piano keys and don't just program in Beatz N Loopz with your mouse, it's worth keeping around some old hardware. Because many modern USB controllers suck royally when it comes to being an actual playable keyboard. I may not need the sounds of my Andromeda *as* much these days (still use it a lot though), but it is one of my two master controllers for VSTs for this reason.

I don't when, but my goal is to pick up a digital 88 weighted piano use as a controller.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:07 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I think that's fun too, I also think we're kind of niche in that regard. I think it's interesting how younger synth guys are into them partly for their artefacts, while older guys that used them when they were new and have more or less moved onto new / faster means of synthing and productioning.

Well, I like both. :lol: But yeah, these subtleties are not that big of a thing in the end.

Personally, I haven't chased any new synth hardware (other than Eurorack, which is a special case) in forever, the D-50 and Andromeda actually are the only two I have active in my studio. About 50-80% of my tracks per item tend to be software synthesizers. Same with effects which tend to be mostly ITB (the exceptions are some Euro FX modules). If I was just starting out, I certainly wouldn't be chasing vintage gear on Ebay.

Euro is the exception for me, but obviously Euro is also a really niche thing. It's also where (IMHO) any interesting hardware is now.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.