Apple TV?

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Apple TV?

Postby midinut » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:41 am

Didn't want to hijack the Hai Guyz thread (if that's even possible) but thought this might be worthy of its own thread ...

Those of you with Apple TV boxes ... What are the advantages of having Apple TV over say the Roku boxes or a PS3/4 or Xbox? Inquiring minds want to know. I suppose it would be more useful if one had a Mac in the house. (FTR we have 3 iPads, 3 iPhones, several iPod Touch, and a iPod Nano ... so yes we drank the Kool-Aid, but I haven't used a Mac computer in many years. So besides Mainstage and GarageBand and a Logic Pro ( I use Cubase and a PC ) what else am I missing?
midinut

Re: Apple TV?

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:59 am

So, the other day a friend sent me a link to a concert that was being broadcast in HD for free. So I hit the link on my phone and the video started playing and I thought 'oh yeah, apple tv, duh' and turned the thingy on and watched the show on my tv with the audio pumping through my stereo.

Often I'll be sitting in the studio downstairs and decide that I'd like to hear a mix i'm working on in the livingroom upstairs. No problem..."home sharing" is on so I play the track in the studio, and then go upstairs and it's cranking through the stereo via wifi. also works with the other mac in the office upstairs. I can even use the iphone as a remote control from upstairs to select stuff on the computer downstairs which then plays it on the tv/stereo upstairs.

I have the wifi password to a friend's network...sometimes when I would come to his apartment, I would be out in the hall and before knocking on the door, I would youtube rick astley and play it on his apple tv while he was watching a movie.

Then I would hear him inside going "what the f*ck just happened" and after he switched it, I would do it again.

Eventually I would knock on the door and he never mentioned the fact that he'd been rickrolled and I never told him it was me.

lulz...oh yes.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:01 am

Oh yeah, and I have a PS3 but as far as I know it doesn't do any of that cool stuff.

P.S. I don't watch tv as such, but I'll watch a movie, or select older tv shows that I pirate full seasons of from dvd rips and stuff.

-can't bear commercials or outside programming. makes me vomit.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:46 am

The only real advantage that an Apple TV offers over Roku, or possibly even the crappy Chromecast, is if you are already invested in the Apple ecosystem, it's extremely complimentary to iPhones and iPads in that, like previously mentioned, you can stream things back and forth between devices, toss pics, vids, music, etc from your phone up onto the TV/surround sound in a snap. Apple TV has most of the major apps, or "channels," that the other streaming boxes have, but Roku/Chromecast have *far* more than Apple TV. If you don't have iPhones or iPads, then it's not really worth going down that road in my opinion. But if you do, you are missing out by *not* having one (or two or three). :thu:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:47 am

ClavAnother wrote:I have the wifi password to a friend's network...sometimes when I would come to his apartment, I would be out in the hall and before knocking on the door, I would youtube rick astley and play it on his apple tv while he was watching a movie.

Then I would hear him inside going "what the f*ck just happened" and after he switched it, I would do it again.

Eventually I would knock on the door and he never mentioned the fact that he'd been rickrolled and I never told him it was me.

lulz...oh yes.

This. This is brilliance. SI approves.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:40 pm

I think they all more or less do the same thing, but the advantage of the Apple TV is that you can stream media from your Apple devices. I have a friend that does the whole "look at my slides" thing from his phone whenever I am at his house.

The game consoles may actually have less options since they don't have an app market comparable to say a roku or fire TV, that specialize in media apps.

Me? I use a dell desktop PC. :lol: I keep saying I should invest in a Fire TV or something, but I can't be bothered. The PC holds movies, music and works with desktop apps, meaning you can watch free content that you can find on the web whereas with the set tops, you're strong armed into pay for trials and subscriptions. It makes a good home server too for when I need to back up stuff and just anything you'd need a computer for.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:26 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Me? I use a dell desktop PC. :lol:

Dude, me too. I have a Dell that I store all my music, movies, games (I still occasionally play WoW and Diablo III), etc on, that lives in the game room. Then, I have another Dell dedicated solely to music production that lives in the lab. If I were a man with more money, I'd have a Mac computer (or two!) of some configuration, but alas I am money deprived. The two Dells I have aren't "off-the-shelf," but rather have custom innards.

That said, Dell builds wonderful, reliable computers. I've never had any trouble out of the two machines I currently have, nor did I ever have problems on Dell systems I owned in the past. I wouldn't look down on you at all, Metro, for using Dell.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:18 pm

My mileage has been different, obviously.

For maybe 5 years when I got into the home theater PC thing, I built them myself. However, I kept blowing controllers on the mother boards, I had an instance where no matter what i did, I couldn't not re-install windows after changing every part in the PC (cables, battery, memory, CPU) until I replaced the motherboard. Just constant BS and headaches.

I then looked around my campus and saw these Dells that we leave on 24/7 and the students do all god knows what to them and I've never had to do anything to them aside from software maintenance.

So yea, dude, I got a Dell.

I've had people tell me that period in time saw some bad hardware and that was the source of my issues. I'm of the opinion though that the component approach has a more limited life span in terms of hardware as it's aimed at hobbyists and gamers that are going to be replacing them before they fail. And the big name manufacturers appeal to institutions and businesses that would pitch a shit fit if they saw the failure rates I had (and have seen through others).

I know quite a few of you guys have built your own PCs. I've never managed to do it and not ended up with a rolls can hardly. :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Midinut, sorry for the derail in here! ...but

I agree, Metro. I have built my fair share of computers in my lifetime thus far, and have never had anything turn out as solid as my Dells seem to be. Some components tend to play well with others, and then some just won't come out and play at all it seems. Whatever Dell does, they apparently do it right - and at a fraction of the cost of a Mac.

(still do want a mac, tho)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:46 pm

I have two used macs. Both are awesome, both were inexpensive. My first one that I got in 2006 for the studio was more than two grand, and it still works fine today. The next one was used but six months newer, and cost $150. The third was 450, but it's much newer. Running current sofetware
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:41 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I have two used macs. Both are awesome, both were inexpensive. My first one that I got in 2006 for the studio was more than two grand, and it still works fine today. The next one was used but six months newer, and cost $150. The third was 450, but it's much newer. Running current sofetware

It's not that I have anything against used equipment per se, but I feel weird buying used computers and music equipment. I know it's an irrational way to be, but my brain is wired differently than most peoples' brains, and

LOOK SQUIRREL!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:30 pm

I'm with you on that, for the most part.

If it's someone I know, I don't want there to be an issue if something breaks.

If it's ebay or something, I don't know the history on it and something could blow at some point. That's a chance you take with older synths too, which is why I quit buying them.

I think for the most part "deals" only exist in your head. Except when it's something you love, nobody wants it and they're blowing it out for like 30$ with a coupon from 120$.

Every now and then, the planets do align on deals like that.

I feel weird buying used computers and music equipment

yea........... balls may have been touching at somepoint.

:poke:

:lol:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:17 pm

MetroSonus wrote:yea........... balls may have been touching at somepoint.

You laugh, but this is EXACTLY what was in my head when I posted that. Actually, it was more directly "There's no telling what body parts have been on that thing..." but, close enough.

:facepalm:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:06 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I know quite a few of you guys have built your own PCs. I've never managed to do it and not ended up with a rolls can hardly. :lol:

DIY computers is like DIY electronics, though, when a part fails you just simply swap it out. :lol:

Yeah, people have knacks. I am okay with building PCs and can write little custom programs to bypass Microsoft annoyances etc. (Even writing a couple of Android apps these days.) All my PCs are build-your-own to some extent now (I swapped out the very old Mac Mini I was using as a little server for a Shuttle recently).

On the other hand... I can't solder worth a damn and don't know as much about electric circuits and kind of envy those hardware guys in the synth world that can do make neat gear.

Everyone's different. :idk:

I've personally had more problems with pre-made PCs, but that's "historical". These days I imagine the pre-built PCs are quite solid.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:09 pm

I guess nobody noticed that the only reason I mentioned it was because I've bought both and they all work great, but a new one cost ten times as much.

To each his own. I've never been satisfied with a windows machine new or old so I suppose I'll never understand why people use them.
ClavAnother

Postby midinut » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:08 pm

I am supposing again here, but me and wifey subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, we're Amazon Prime Customers (which in addition to saving us a shi#load on shipping charges also gets us Amazon Prime to watch), and we just started looking at Red Box. We like watching "what" we want "when" we want. Don't care about network TV (at least until something becomes available on Netflix or Hulu). We don't take movies with us on our portable devices and don't buy movies online for download. We still have a DVD collection though we only add titles a few times a year. Given "our" situation I guess I don't see much need for it other than maybe storing ALL your multimedia (songs, albums, movies, pictures, etc.) in one place. But I already have a 3TB USB drive that I use for that.
midinut

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:36 am

I just wrote the longest post I've ever written in response to this, and the stupid forum then asked me to log in (I was already logged in) and I lost it all.

Blergh
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:50 pm

You sound like me and my wife, Midi. We have Amazon Prime, too (free shipping! Free movies!) that we've been getting some mileage out of on our TV. Ours is one of them new-fangled "smart" TVs that has Netflix, Amazon, etc. apps built into it. We also have a NetFlix DVD subscription (2 discs at a time), but gave up on their streaming subscription when we could never find anything we cared to watch on it.

We probably buy, at most, half a dozen movies on disc a year, and half the time they're old titles. For instance, we just bought a copy of "Gone With the Wind" because wifey says we need it, and I've never seen it, so there you go. :lol:

But we never "take" our movies anywhere, probably much to the chagrin of the studios who seem to be all, "look now you get a FREEE!! digital copy to take with you on your device! ISN'T THAT EXCITING!!!" and I'm all, nope. don't care.

In similar news, we've got like 300 CDs collected since we've been together, and I don't know what to do with them. Most of them I guess I just don't care if I ever listen to again, and I don't want to spend hours upon hours ripping them to a media player or whatever. Do you guys have a bunch of CD's laying around, too?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:25 pm

BonsoWonderDog wrote:I just wrote the longest post I've ever written in response to this, and the stupid forum then asked me to log in (I was already logged in) and I lost it all.

Blergh

Bonso just lost a two sentence post. Thats gotta be rough.
ClavAnother

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:55 pm

ClavAnother wrote:
BonsoWonderDog wrote:I just wrote the longest post I've ever written in response to this, and the stupid forum then asked me to log in (I was already logged in) and I lost it all.

Blergh

Bonso just lost a two sentence post. Thats gotta be rough.

Dude, it was War and Peace. I was ranting and raving about all the devices and media setup I've got at home, pros and cons. It was a veritable work of art. Probably would've been nominated for the Booker prize.

Now.....gone. Like sands through the hourglass.

Alas.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Next

Return to The Hang Out.