Synth Guitar. Discuss.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Synth Guitar. Discuss.

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
soundwave106 wrote:MS-20 Mini sux at tracking. :lol: )
Wut means this?

From what I've read, the MS-20's ESP frequency to voltage converter is a bit dubious at actually tracking pitch properly without glitching quite heavily. Which is part of the charm for some.

The MS-20 Mini reportedly duplicates this circuit perfectly. :lol:

I've only read reviews, and have no experience with either the MS-20 or the Mini. Maybe it tracks better than I've read. Also, I have not read anything on *how* it works. My guess is it is a basic through-zero type algorithm implemented analog style. If so, any inaccuracies of the pitch tracking would be improved with some careful pre-filtering to remove as much of the harmonics as possible.

I do know that the most accurate pitch algorithms are digital in nature, because the best pitch tracking requires Teh Complicated Maths acting very quickly, and that is not what analog is good for. This C# open source algorithm for instance looks pretty good, it uses auto-correlation (plus some pre-filtering / interpolation). FFT algorithms are also typically quite accurate. If they ever get a more powerful computer type module out for Euro (Ardcore's too wimpy), I might actually throw that code in there, because geetar to Euro would be neat. :jam:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:44 am

Ah. That's what I thought you meant. I asked Mr. Clavamini about that, but he answered not.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:21 am

Plink Floyd wrote:Ah. That's what I thought you meant. I asked Mr. Clavamini about that, but he answered not.

Wait, wut?

Wat did you ask? I must have missed it.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:21 pm

I've been bringing my amp to work every day to try to at least check out the guitar synth, but it hasn't worked out. It doesn't help that the guy doesn't want to meet half way and he's 40 minutes away from my work at the opposite direction from my home... so I can't meet at lunch time and I've had stuff to do in the evenings. Sounds like it just won't happen...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:30 pm

christianrock wrote:I've been bringing my amp to work every day to try to at least check out the guitar synth, but it hasn't worked out. It doesn't help that the guy doesn't want to meet half way and he's 40 minutes away from my work at the opposite direction from my home... so I can't meet at lunch time and I've had stuff to do in the evenings. Sounds like it just won't happen...

I listened to the demo. I dunno if it's worth that trade or not, honestly. Those amps are good.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:35 pm

I still have my Hughes and Kettner which is by far the better amp. It's also the biggest amp (a half stack). If I don't have a smaller one I'll end up using the bigger one - when I do use one. Yet - at my church I can't use an amp at all, so the GR55 would get lots of use. I think.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:39 pm

Dude. Every time I look at this thread's title, I see, "Synth Guitar. Bacon." Just so you know.

:themoreyouknow.gif:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Whatever you can think of, probably exists in the internet. Well, without the synth part I guess.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:22 am

ClavAnother wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote:Ah. That's what I thought you meant. I asked Mr. Clavamini about that, but he answered not.

Wait, wut?

Wat did you ask? I must have missed it.
Oh, you remember, it was that time when I asked you about that one thing. And that other deal, too. I'll dredge the archives later but I'm too fashed rite nao

/baconsynth
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:38 pm

my frien has a guitar to midi program he likes because he's always been more of a guitar then keys guy.

after teh brief googling I think it was called rather cleverly midi guitar by jam origin

you could bring ur lappy and play teh spacey sounds with very low latency. absynth would be very cool for this with a midi pedal for wave shaping or massive for teh wub wub

guitar tracking + vocoders is how daft punk did that sick 'never over' song with lots of sweet pitch bending and shredding

I think it was cool in the 90s to claim 'I made all these neato sounds sans synth with an under cut hair style' but now there is no longer a need for such pretentious shens

I have a pitch rider for sax that allows hardware tracking, it works pretty good depending on the mic'ing. live you would need a mouthpiece mic (bad sax tone) there would be too much interference otherwise

I've also run my sax/midi sounds thru an amp with a volume pedal for feedback (mic bleed) with lots of guitar pedals for super weird 'jazz' ymmv (the octave/bass/transpose delay pedal made it sound like an organ ? lol)
gregwar

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.