Help with Controlling volume

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Help with Controlling volume

Postby MetroSonus » Thu May 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Hey dudes.. I have a question.. For my work, we have to record a meeting once a month and then from that recording a lady transcribes it. We're getting peaks from things like clapping, bottles being set on the desk and lows from people leaning away from the mics and stuff.

What's a quick way to even out the levels in software? I used to be able to do a normalize in sound forge years ago and it would make everything the same level. Now I do it in both audacity and sound forge and all it does it act like you're applying or reducing gain and not bringing the peaks to all the same level. What'd like to do is level everything off and then make it a comfortable level for listening.

Is there a process or setting I can do that in? What I'm going to for now is bring the big spikes down by hand and then massage the volume, but obviously it's not something I want to do unless I can do it as a process. And I'm sure in the future we need to look at getting a compressor / limiter for our recording rig.

MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Re: Help with Controlling volume

Postby Purity_Control » Thu May 22, 2014 5:51 pm

I do some editing in audacity, there is a compressor in the effects that come with it.

Sometimes it can help to manually fiddle with the odd bit.

Also try a bit of eq-ing to reduce frequencies outside the normal speaking range, which is mostly going to be stuff that you didn't want to hear anyway eg how deep the sound of the bottle going down on the table really is.

They're all less than ideal but I don't think you can really make up for sporadic bad positioning in relation to the mic, you might be better to remind people to speak up and not lean back so much.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Thu May 22, 2014 5:57 pm

The best I could come up with was bringing down the volume manually on the outstanding peaks, compressing the whole thing and then adjusting the overall volume. It seemed to work.

I may just stick with doing it that way because I only have to do it five times a year and it didn't take me that long..
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Thu May 22, 2014 7:29 pm

I'd use a hardware compressor at the source (before it gets converted to digital). Once you get digital distortion, it's going to be too late.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 22, 2014 10:31 pm

You might try mitigating some of the problems at the source. is this one of those flat Polycom-style mics? Maybe put it on a foam slab to reduce the table thumping? Otherwise, it seems to me like compression is what you want, no?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Fri May 23, 2014 11:34 am

Compress the crap out of it.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri May 23, 2014 11:50 am

COMPRESS IT! you miserable cuss!

I dont know that made me think of it, selfinflickted! :lol:

I've got an alesis 2 channel compressor somewhere and I thought about doing a limiter and compressor or something in series. That's kind of what I did in software...

it' sjust more fooling around, which I'm not keen on these days. Although I do need to rework our mobile rig... this may be a good opportunity to do it.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Purity_Control wrote:They're all less than ideal but I don't think you can really make up for sporadic bad positioning in relation to the mic, you might be better to remind people to speak up and not lean back so much.

Yeah, you can't compensate for *too* much. Compression and a low frequency shelf will help with the thumps and clapping, and is what is probably necessary here like everyone says. But compress *too* much and you start picking up a lot of ambient noise.

(I guess you could add a noise gate as well, but too much bad positioning and you start getting random cutoffs with that.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Fri May 23, 2014 1:48 pm

MetroSonus wrote:Image

:like:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Fri May 23, 2014 2:04 pm

Just tell all those sucks that you're making a live album and to STFU
ClavAnother