Re: Teh Guilty Pleasures Thread

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:51 pm

I think embarrassment is the key factor in defining a guilty pleasure :lol:

If that's the case, I like really girly and cute anime. :lol:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:53 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I think embarrassment is the key factor in defining a guilty pleasure :lol:

It's true. But even though I'm not embarrassed of it, per se, not many people know I secretly love them. :facepalm:

So, instead, I will say that I *also* listen to Shiny Toy Guns. Now THAT'S embarrassing.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm too embarrassed to talk about my embarrassments.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 pm

selfinflikted wrote:So, instead, I will say that I *also* listen to Shiny Toy Guns. Now THAT'S embarrassing.

Heh, if Shiny Toy Guns is embarrassing, then I can safely say I've seen *way* more embarrassing bands live. (For Shiny Toy Guns, that was something like 8 years ago, I honestly haven't kept up with what they have been doing lately...)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:17 pm

Me either. I dunno if they were kinda a "one-off" band or not. I only know about their debut album. But I still listen to it, occasionally.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Is orchestral melodic speed metal a guilty pleasure? For most people it is, they call it "videogame music" :facepalm:

I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:41 pm

christianrock wrote:Is orchestral melodic speed metal a guilty pleasure? For most people it is, they call it "videogame music" :facepalm:

I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it.

I like it too, actually.

Along those same lines, I *REALLY* like Apocalyptica, but again, that's not something that I'm necessarily embarrassed of.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:32 am

christianrock wrote:Is orchestral melodic speed metal a guilty pleasure? For most people it is, they call it "videogame music" :facepalm:

That's probably because they only encounter the remaining cult of power metal through the "expert" modes of Guitar Hero (see Dragonforce).

Obviously, by mentioning Nightwish, I like this genre as well. Metal and orchestras go well together. (It in fact makes one realize what a pity it is that today's pure orchestral composers barely taking advantage of the tonal possibilities of the rapid instrumentation developments in pop.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby midinut » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:50 am

ABBA is awesome. If you like those harmonies, check out Little Big Town. They have fast become the Fleetwood Mac of country music. I also likes me some Goldfrapp, Neil Diamond, Three Dog Night, Celtic Woman, Sade ... but I draw the line at Kenny G and Michael Bolton.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:03 am

ABBA is excellent @ what they do. I like harmony groups like Manhattan Transfer, Teh Association, Beach Bois, Four Freshman, Sisters Andrews & Lemon, those guys from Teh Music Man...

/sheepish
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:46 am

midinut wrote: ... but I draw the line at Kenny G and Michael Bolton.

Yes. A thousand times, this.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:00 pm

speaking of guilty pleasures, wasn't it my fondness for hand bags that more or less kicked off the other hai guyz thread? :lol: and something about hello kitty.

Being married has really toned me down :lol:
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:01 pm

MetroSonus wrote:wasn't it my fondness for hand bags

This is interesting. Please, tell me more.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:01 pm

it's not as exciting as it sounds... :lol: but it was pretty funny..

back then we just got seasons tickets to busch gardens and we were going there as well as going out and doing outdoorsy stuff quite a bit. My son was at that tender age where it was easier and better to do out of the house, free stuff like going to the park etc.

Me and my wife ended up in constant rows over who was going to carry what; car keys, kid stuff, snacks, and last but not least the infamous inhaler. And for some reason, I thought it'd be a good idea to ask the forum what kind of man bag would be good for this kind of thing.

So.. I dunno how but many thought I was teh gay. So I kinda went with it a bit and the whole beginning of the thread was a whole lot of "don't want to look but have too" :lol: and then the gifs started and me and CR got into a fight over eggs and I started calling him professor chicken. It was really a whole lot of "who knows what's going happen next".

The main core of the group is all here, on here. But we had quite a few characters come in and out over the years.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:56 pm

I hate I missed all those shens, dangnabbit.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Good tiems... good tiems...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:33 pm

Teh Original Hai Guyz was quite the party, was it not? :grin: Kinda died after a while, but it started out rather... interesting.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Yes, at least while DualLowPass/DeliciousLampreyProblem was around, it was a very interesting place.

I wonder whatever happened to him. He was the poster boy for GAS.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:35 pm

my guilty pleasure was Sheryl crow back when I listened to more hardcore rock & rap, I guess I respected her because she's a producer, plays bass and shamelessly made happy-easy-going chunes when my anarcho-vegetarian-poli sci schisms sorta prevented me from enjoying it and caused me to be 'jaded' or 'pretentious'

that was a long run-on sentence and now I guess it doesn't matter anymore what I listen to lol

also, si's 'guilty pleasures' are not guilty and metrosexual jokes are/we're hilarious

I guess my friends that were metal heads all dissed kitty but I always thought their first album was great :like:

I guess I've always liked females in music and don't judge women differently than men quality-wise (some women musicians are truly awful) but I always like and support good music especially from womens.

one of my ideas with my current rap project was to get chicks on the mic and do choruses, verses, remixes/beats, and encourage more chix to be part of the process in whatever capacity they're comfortable with. I even rapped about 'feminism' once but it was in French/disguised lol
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Gershwin. Rodgers & Hammerstein. Irving Berlin. And one stellar flash of brilliance from Meredith Willson.

:blushface:
Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.