Read Books™

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Read Books™

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:40 pm

christianrock wrote:What's that from

Short story, "They're Made of Meat", by Terry Bisson.
http://www.terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:44 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:Short story, "They're Made of Meat", by Terry Bisson.
http://www.terrybisson.com/page6/page6.html
:thu: Cool stories, bro!

We're sentient meat. :lol:
Plink Floyd

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:27 pm

Some of us. Others are just meat.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:14 am

ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 am

Me Ted.

:thu:

Oh, and gee our old LaSalle ran great!
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:41 am

So I am nearly finished with 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep'

It's the book that Blade Runner was based on. I am enjoying it. Has anyone here read it before?

ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:44 am

Yes. Several times. Quite different than the movie, eh?

Hollywood always leaves out the speculative religion stuff in which Dikc really excels.

I bet they also do it to Enders. :mad:

I've read most if not all of PKD's stuff, but I still have lots of OSC to go.

I can highly recommend these two excellent but lesser known Dcik novels: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and Ubik.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:41 am

I've read it and also the sequel novel that I go for $1 at some discount book store. Utter boring shite. :cry:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:08 pm

You didn't listen to vangelis while you read it did you?
ClavAnother

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 pm

I read it years ago. I remember liking it. Must dig it out again.
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 am

MetroSonus wrote:the sequel novel that I go for $1
Huh. I was unaware. Not by Dik, though, but one of his friends. The guy actually wrote three BR sequels.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:25 am

Plink Floyd wrote:I can highly recommend The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

I actually have the audiobook of that. It was part of some 100 best sci-fi collection. Maybe I'll check it out soon.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 am

imo, that one and Ubik are among his best.
Plink Floyd

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:12 pm

I've read all the BR sequels. Not good, but I'm such a fan of the characters and environment that I'm willing to forgive a lot :-)
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:58 am

ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:30 pm

It's the book that Blade Runner was based on. I am enjoying it. Has anyone here read it before?

I had a running joke going on with the geek crowd in my 6th form about throwing goats from the roof because of that book. :lol: Which I suppose is fairly surreal at 17 and when you don't realise that Dick was self medicated into the middle of next year.

The main narrative of the story doesn't do a lot for me, in the book the replicants never really feel like much of a menance to Deckard... I guess that's where the film made the story it's own and left out all the robot animals and fusion with mercer and all that sort of thing.

Galactic Pot Healer was one of the few Dick books I liked, especially the ending which is very sad and something thst even at that age I could really relate to as a concept, in terms of the way that people behave.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Veracohr » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:48 am

Plink Floyd wrote:Hollywood always leaves out the speculative religion stuff in which Dikc really excels.

I bet they also do it to Enders. :mad:

Ender's Game had no speculative religion stuff. He didn't get into any of that until the last two books of the series, and mostly just the last book, Children of the Mind.

What did you think of the movie? I found it to be pretty much exactly as I expected: disappointing. It hit all the high points of the action but left out all the background stuff that made those things make sense.
Veracohr

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:21 am

Veracohr wrote:Ender's Game had no speculative religion stuff. He didn't get into any of that until the last two books of the series, and mostly just the last book, Children of the Mind.
Fair enough. I read that whole series at once, so I guess it sort of all ran together by the end. I haven't seen the movie but your assessment resembles others I've heard. I probably won't be in any hurry about the dvd.

:wave:
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:22 am

For someone who spent twenty years trying to make that thing into a movie, he sure did sell himself short when he finally got the chance.

Loved all the books, couldn't bear the flick.

Anyway, I'm not into religion anymore, and never got the whole Mormon thing, but the cool thing about card is that he used to explore thoughts and ideas pretty completely in his dialog between his characters. Something he picked up from Asimov.

Also I notice that many people comment to me that they won't read his books or see the movie because he doesn't like gay people, but I don't actually think agreeing with people's views has anything to do with their art. If we ever knew most of the artists we adore, we'd probably hate them all.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:14 pm

yea........ the only time I let that kind of stuff get in the way is when I think it's affects the art, so to speak. Kind of like for me, I liked Metallica's late period with the black album. I think they were trying to try out new stuff as artists and the fans wouldn't let them and they got pissed off and started suing everyone for downloading their stuff. Which actually was kind of weird in away, I saw a thing where james hatfiled was befuddled because some of the tracks showing up on napster had production codes in the names and time code still in the file, which means there's a leak at the studio and he was acting like he didn't know how it happened. But anyway.. after that they really started playing up the whole "'im a don't give a F*ck outlaw" thing and I didn't really find them that interesting after that.

I hung up my "fan" boots or gloves or whatever the expression is a long time ago. Back then though, it was because Sci fi / fantasy on TV & movies was jumping the shark and into something mass produced and away from the roots that I prefer. But if I had to do it now, it'd be because of the fans. They honestly think they're more important than the show, actors etc and the writers know this and cater to them on purpose now.

I"m just saying I agree Clav. I love this part where he goes "IT"S A MOVIE!!!!!!!" :lol: Kinda sums up how I feel these days.

MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.