HCC Revamp

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: HCC Revamp

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Except in China, funnily enough, where I believe they've banned St Patrick's day. :freak:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby donaldcrunk » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:38 pm

HC has once again reached that point where all the new and remaining members assume that everyone else is a gigging keyboardist that plays a motif in a blues or other cover band, and if you don't then you're just making bleeps in your mom's basement. that really irritates me for some reason.

whatever. i bleep above ground on my own property, thank you very much.
donaldcrunk

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:43 pm

donaldcrunk wrote:HC has once again reached that point where all the new and remaining members assume that everyone else is a gigging keyboardist that plays a motif in a blues or other cover band, and if you don't then you're just making bleeps in your mom's basement. that really irritates me for some reason.

Hey Mr. Crunk! Nice to see you, stick around, won't you? :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:40 am

Welcome to hc fallout central... !! :wave:

I too bloop in the comfort of my own home... I need to throw your recent gig on the blog BTW.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby donaldcrunk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:00 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:
donaldcrunk wrote:HC has once again reached that point where all the new and remaining members assume that everyone else is a gigging keyboardist that plays a motif in a blues or other cover band, and if you don't then you're just making bleeps in your mom's basement. that really irritates me for some reason.

i've actually been around when i can - i have a 5 month old who takes up most of my time these days, along with actually trying to record music and finish this damn album i've been working on for the last year. sorry i haven't been more social, but unfortunately its the same story amongst all of my online platforms :(
donaldcrunk

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:09 am

I still bleep and bloop in my own attic, when the mood takes me. :lol:

And welcome.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby soundwave106 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:52 pm

Nice to see that Harmony Central is still stuck somewhere around the 1980s or so. :lol:

After all, for the last several years, the charts (and most of pop music) are dominated by electronic music. And a lot of that stuff (hip hop, club dance stuff, even indie pop) actually *is* bleeps and bloops made in "their Mom's basement" or some other project studio.

So nyah nyah or something.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:29 pm

OH HAI SCENIC SQUARE DUDE !!
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:45 pm

soundwave106 wrote:

Nice to see that Harmony Central is still stuck somewhere around the 1980s or so. :lol:

After all, for the last several years, the charts (and most of pop music) are dominated by electronic music. And a lot of that stuff (hip hop, club dance stuff, even indie pop) actually *is* bleeps and bloops made in "their Mom's basement" or some other project studio.

So nyah nyah or something.

What's weird though is that it doesn't inspire people the way it used too. When that hole indie pop thing was going on HC and other places were flooded with people wanting to play a microkorg in their band.

I wonder if that's the difference though. When there's a band on stage, kids think "hey that could be me!" but when it's a dude in front of a pc people think. "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boring". I wonder.

For instance, everyone wanted to know everything about the killers or who ever, but I haven't heard of anyone wanting to know about how Pink, Lady Gaga or someone made their songs..
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:18 pm

MetroSonus wrote:For instance, everyone wanted to know everything about the killers or who ever, but I haven't heard of anyone wanting to know about how Pink, Lady Gaga or someone made their songs..

Production wise, I think much of the forum type community has moved on from broken places like HC. :lol:

EG: Dubstep specific forums (eg Dubstepforum) are where you find people asking "how can I make Skrillex drops?" type questions for instance as well as some of the newer electrohousewhatever stuff. Futureproducers seems to be the forum destination for hip-hop (with a side of electro stuff). KVRAudio gets some traffic too because everything is software. Even on non-pop items, the trend is more genre specific forums (vi-control for scoring is a good example).

There also seems to be a lot of people sharing sounds on Soundcloud, as well as a few genre specific things (Datpiff for hip hop mixtapes for instance). I don't know if people share production tips there as much, but there does seem to be a bit of an amateur community around these things, where people at least listen.

Most modern music follows the electronic route of separating the public face (DJ, rapper) with the back-end production team (producers). That even includes the electronic pop like Gaga these days. It probably does make a difference to have these this way, the back end guys are going to get less ego-trippers.

(Oddly enough I couldn't find a real good community hangout for indie bands, even though that "indie" thing still exists. Punk forums easy to find, metal forums easy to find, indie not really... oddly, same thing with country music that isn't "traditional" bluegrass...)

I personally think the old cover band route is a dying trend (at the moment). Oddly enough both of the places where this dominates (HC and Keyboard Corner) seem to be technically wonky these days.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:31 pm

donaldcrunk wrote:
ElectricPuppy wrote:

i've actually been around when i can - i have a 5 month old who takes up most of my time these days, along with actually trying to record music and finish this damn album i've been working on for the last year. sorry i haven't been more social, but unfortunately its the same story amongst all of my online platforms :(

Hey, congratulations! I didn't know you had a baby! That is awesome.
And yeah I can sympathize. I can't remmeber the last time I actually played keys... and my youngest boy is already 9 months old.
I do play guitar on weekends and practice during the week though, I volunteer at a church so that kind of makes me stay active, at least.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:40 pm

Me neither, I missed that. congrats!! I just saw your photos on facebook, although I wasn't aware of your domestic situation, so I didn't assume..
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:45 am

congrats on having a kid crunkwar !1
gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Kids. Feh.

j/k Congrats, dude! :grin:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Aww, I spaced right over the Baby Crunk news, my bad! Happy New Tax Break, Crunkster! :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.