Facial Hair

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Facial Hair

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:56 pm

I just posted this on facebook, and I will repoast it here because, I REALLY want to know what is up with this.

"Not that I would ever try to convince someone to conform to any person's standard of a pleasing aesthetic (and least of all my own), but I do not understand this new thing with guys and their unruly, unkept facial hair. ... I'm just wondering from whence this new fad has come? And more importantly, WHEN WILL IT BE OVER?"

Someone. 'Splain.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: Facial Hair

Postby christianrock » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:16 pm

It's been the cool thing to do in Europe for years. We're just catching up. :lol:

Of course, if it comes from Europe, it must be better :poke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:34 pm

Perhats our very own Purity could shed some light on this, then?

I am very bothered by this recent trend.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:32 pm

As long as we're at it, what's the fascination with tatoos? I don't get it. Imagine how gnarly it's gonna look when you're older. Eww.

PLEASE EXPLAIN
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:48 am

CLAVANOTHER TEH SAYS:

1. Tatoos have never been cool.

2. Beards have always been cool.

proofs:

[/TOPIC]
ClavAnother

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:12 am

Hats have always been cool too.

Dunno about the unkempt facial hair, I don't think I'm seeing young guys with it any more or less than at any other time, I'm near to studentland so usually see the latest fashion disaster that's doing the rounds.

The stupid thing that I'm seeing a lot in the last 6 months or so is guys with a really unkempt pony tail, but sort of twisted up on top of their head like a badly done topknot. Often on unwashed looking hair. :facepalm:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:55 pm

I work in hipster town in Tampa and I see plenty if beardy beards and frenchy stashes. I think its an east coast US thing. I've seen plenty of concert and party pics where everyone either looks homeless or "ironic".

I think it comes from recycling the grunge flair to be honest. I don't know who started it, but around '99 there quite a few hairy, slight overweight guys in bands that were singing sappy songs about girls. The overall affect was very cuddly. Throw in the neo neo hippy diy that also happened along with grunge in the early 90's, some early photos of Steve jobs and guys playing synths in the 70's , the steam punk thing and the beard came to be an accessory like a hat or something..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Dunno about the unkempt facial hair, I don't think I'm seeing young guys with it any more or less than at any other time, I'm near to studentland so usually see the latest fashion disaster that's doing the rounds.

I think it's more an American "hipster" thing, maybe. Honestly it's yet another "what goes around comes around" thing (previously this style was seen in grunge, and before that, hippies).

These things never die, really. When I first got into homebrewing (early 2000s), the scene (way different scene than Britain even now, for the European comparisons) was mostly composed of science nerds / Renfair types. Also, curiously enough, some of the hippie remnants (which around here was the newgrass scene). There were similar style beards in Renfair-ers and newgrass types, it just wasn't a big enough scene for people to notice. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:56 pm

And Klingons and comic book guys and :lol:

What's new grass?
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:21 am

I shaved my facial hair when it turned all salt & peppery. I mean, that's OK for a suit that hangs just right for the dip, but hey, I'm not trying out for Santa anytime soon.

And how can we be sure Clavanother hasn't any tatoos? That hat may be a tatoo...
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 am

I've seen so very many people shave after the salt starts in, and I've never understood it. I think it has to do with perception; I think it makes you look distinguished, they think it makes you look extinguished.

My uncle wore a beard all my life and eventually got a verticle white stripe just off center of his chin. As a steely dan fan, his buddy started calling him 'Skunk Bastard'. The name actually fit really well.

Anyway, several years ago he began shaving down to full on butt-face and I've since had to come to the realization the he's one ugly fucker and I wish he'd grow it back.

For the record I think all men should wear beards, so my bias is admitted.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:10 am

Oh yeah, and I could take photos to prove that I don't have tattoos, butt would you really want to see them?
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:19 am

MetroSonus wrote:What's new grass?

"Newgrass", AKA: "progressive bluegrass". See: String Cheese Incident, Bela Fleck, and Nickel Creek, among others. Bluegrass influenced but definitely not traditional. Often very jam band. More likely to hang out with Phish and the Grateful Dead than Flatt and Scruggs.

(Jerry Garcia liked bluegrass quite a lot so I think we can blame him for this old trend. :lol: )
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:51 am

i LOVE the Flecktones.
Plink Floyd

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:25 pm

I have a tattoo and no beard.

I am the anti-Clav.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:04 am

ClavAnother wrote:Oh yeah, and I could take photos to prove that I don't have tattoos, butt would you really want to see them?

CLAVEX NO!
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Clav, your beardiness is perfectly acceptable to me. Yours is not the facial hair I'm railing against. It is more like:

I'm seeing this more and more lately. And it's just gross. Why would anyone think this is attractive?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:20 pm

Sorry, I can't see what you mean; beards are awesome.
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Sorry, I can't see what you mean; beards are awesome.

:mad:

Beards are awesome. I sport one 99% of the time (although currently, I just have the 'stache/goatee combo going). But uncontrolled facial hair growth is not awesome. No, siree.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Had a beard. Don't anymore. Wifey said, "I don't wanna kiss hairy face."

no contest. :grin:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Next

Return to The Hang Out.