Cover Challenge!

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Cover Challenge!

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Treehousians;

After hearing SI's most excellent Superman theme and suggesting that he tackle The Imperial March next, I am wondering: Why don't we ALL take a crack at it? It doesn't have to be symphonically accurate, or full length, or even a perfect clone (ha! see what I did thar? Star Wars joke, son...)

I'm curious to hear what take each of us might have on it.

I'll try taking a stab at it myself this week!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Re: Cover Challenge!

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm game. I will do just the "main" part of the theme. Probably around the same length of the Superman one. Is that ok?

Oh, and I should also suggest, perhaps a judging? This will give more incentive to those who want to participate to make it good. Whoever doesn't participate can be judge(s). Winner should receive a prize. I think ONE MILLION DOLLARS would be fitting. :thu:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Of course, do what you want with it! I'm hoping that a light challenge will be motivating on its own. Also, not sure about judging, but I'm not gonna stop anyone from their own judging. And if they want to just publically call out my effort as TEH BEST EVARS, then that's cool, too. (Note: any other judgements will be summarily ignored. Just sayin.')

Or, you know. A million dollars.*

(*Payable as a shiny new penny annually over 100 million years)
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Haha. Ok, we'll leave the judging off. Perhaps a "contest" some other time, then :)

What is the deadline, or is it just wide open?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:31 am

i may be interested but lately my music has been keeping me really busy, we're tracking, mixing, making beats like every day lol

if i get a lull i know exactly which song i'm going for. you may all hate star wars episode 1 but duel of the fates by john williams is by a long shot my fav theme from all the movies

i really want to push the possibilities of the vocoder in the roland v-synth gt and see if i get anywhere near how amazing those choirs sound

tbh i think i'm gonna go back and rewatch episode 1-3 because i haven't seen them since they were in threatres

gregwar

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:22 am

You know, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, Greggers. I can recite, from start to finish, all the dialogue in the first film (A New Hope), and most of Empire and Jedi as well (just from sheer number of times I watched them as a child). I really, REALLY wanted to like the second trilogy. But if I'm being honest with myself, I just think they stunk.

That said, I LOVE John Williams' work. Even in the newest trilogy. Hell, I honestly don't think John Williams has a song in his library that I've heard that I DON'T like.

ETA: After a long time searching, I finally found the Original Trilogy on DVD that wasn't in some way fux0red by George Lucas and his strange obsession to go back and remake them thousands of times. Do you know how hard it was for me to find them? But they are the original theatrical cuts. :jam:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:27 am

Teh goggies haz already won the million dollars:

Now that there, how are somebody got time fo dat?

:freak:
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:57 am

Ok, i'm not a fan of SW except maybe the first movie but I'm up for the Imperial March challenge.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Ok, i'm not a fan of SW except maybe the first movie but I'm up for the Imperial March challenge.

Awesome :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:02 pm

selfinflikted wrote:That said, I LOVE John Williams' work. Even in the newest trilogy. Hell, I honestly don't think John Williams has a song in his library that I've heard that I DON'T like.

To me he's sort of slacked slightly lately (I didn't find Harry Potter's scores as memorable as, say, the surprisingly good score from Howard Shore for Lord of the Rings -- even though it was good, mind you). But John Williams was definitely king of the Hollywood composers from the late 70s through early 90s.

Ironically, I look up his old career... he began by scoring a film so bad it was featured on MST3K, Daddy-O! (Though hearing the theme, it isn't as bad as I remember the rest of the movie being. :) ) Apparently he was more known for jazzy /hip-swinging type scores in the beginning that largely got put on camp for teens like "Gidget Goes To Rome".

Later, he hooked up as a go-to composer for those once-trendy big budget 1970s disaster films (he did "Poseidon Adventure", "Earthquake", "Black Sunday", and "Towering Inferno"). Which I guess paved his way for his career of much more remembered films: Jaws, Close Encounters, and Star Wars etc.

(I admit, I don't think I've seen a single film from the 1970s disaster trend, apart from Airport 1979 The Concorde, which I barely remember. So I can't judge how good those scores are.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Hmmmm I'll try to put something together. Not promising though. Playing and learning a bunch of new songs every week is hard work.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:50 pm

christianrock wrote:Hmmmm I'll try to put something together. Not promising though. Playing and learning a bunch of new songs every week is hard work.

What are you learning and playing?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:51 pm

I learned the main melody to the Imperial March last night. Got a couple of tracks down. Gonna work on it some more over the Thanksgiving Holidays. I'm off for a WEEK.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:51 pm

selfinflikted wrote:I learned the main melody to the Imperial March last night. Got a couple of tracks down. Gonna work on it some more over the Thanksgiving Holidays. I'm off for a WEEK.

You get a whole week? :mad: ENVY
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:41 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:I learned the main melody to the Imperial March last night. Got a couple of tracks down. Gonna work on it some more over the Thanksgiving Holidays. I'm off for a WEEK.

You get a whole week? :mad: ENVY

I took some personal time also. It's not a default whole week. In fact, this is the first time in the 8 and 1/2 years that I've been here that I've ever had a full week off work. What's this gonna be like? I don't know, but I grant you it will be AWESOME.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 am

first week off in 8.5 years? That sounds rough.

I have four months leave accumulated. 2 months of normal leave, and another 2 long service leave.

I'd take it all at once, except they'd have to replace me and I'd probably be made redundant :-)
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Eh. We get lots of holidays and I take personal days here and there. But yes, this is the longest stretch I will have ever been off at one time. I AM A DEDICATED EMPLOYEE. not

You should take a vacation! Maybe not all at once, but at least something substantial :)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:10 pm

selfinflikted wrote:
christianrock wrote:Hmmmm I'll try to put something together. Not promising though. Playing and learning a bunch of new songs every week is hard work.

What are you learning and playing?

I'm playing and singing with a worship team at this new church we started going to. A lot of the songs every week are new to me and I need to learn to play and to sing them. So I haven't had any studio/recording time lately.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Well, at least you're doing musical stuffs! That totally counts in my book. :like:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Indeed, that counts. :thu:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Next

Return to The Hang Out.