Y U NO SYNTHING

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Y U NO SYNTHING

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:25 pm

That's beautiful! what is that, velvet?

ElectricPuppy wrote:When it comes to this creativity stuff, motivation is definitely the main factor in getting anything done. For sho'. I just haven't had any lately. Also (honestly), there's some part of me that goes, "ugh, does this mean I have to wrestle with Sonar again?" I really need to research some different DAWs and see if anything else is easier to use and still reasonably capable.

What don't you like about sonar?

I've really enjoyed live. I couldn't imagine going back to cubase or cakewalk. Granted, it's modular and like a sampler, so it works for me.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:52 pm

Sonar is non-intuitive for anything except the most basic operations, like moving a fader. For example, for the longest time I couldn't figure out how to select a portion of the wave in a track by clicking and dragging. It turned out that you get different behavior if you do that in the top half of the wave vs. the bottom have of the wave. Hidden gotchas like that drive me nuts.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:02 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:It turned out that you get different behavior if you do that in the top half of the wave vs. the bottom have of the wave. Hidden gotchas like that drive me nuts.

I thought that was industry standard. Gives more flexibility
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:05 pm

That's how cubase is. Honestly the true test of good design is how far you can go in it without reading the manual.

I can't stand proprietary nomenclature, obscure and counter-intuitive work flow. which describes almost every apple product :facepalm: No, Sony Vegas isn't on Macs. Seriously? MOvie Maker (orwhatever the free mac one is) and final cut pro are the two stupidest programs I have ever used.. talk about reinventing the wheel.. how hard can you make it? :mad:
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:27 pm

MetroSonus wrote:That's how cubase is.

Huh. I had no idea this was standard practice. You have to admit it's not exactly obvious, though, right?

Honestly the true test of good design is how far you can go in it without reading the manual.

This, this, this. For Sonar, the problem is especially prominent because they don't give you a manual. Help files are what you get, which are mostly loaded up with tutorial-level crap, and no actual reference. Like, "what does this thing in this window do?" Good luck finding that out.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:01 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:That's how cubase is.

Huh. I had no idea this was standard practice. You have to admit it's not exactly obvious, though, right?

No, I meant being utterly obtuse and confusing. That seems to be pretty much industry standard.

This, this, this. For Sonar, the problem is especially prominent because they don't give you a manual. Help files are what you get, which are mostly loaded up with tutorial-level crap, and no actual reference. Like, "what does this thing in this window do?" Good luck finding that out.

You ever get those manuals that go

Filter Cutoff - See Adjusting Filter Cutoff for how to adjust the cutoff.

Adjusting Filter Cutoff - See Filter cutoff for adjusting the cutoff.
MetroSonus

Postby gregwar » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:07 pm

that's one reason I've been with logic for nearly 20 years

familiarity makes it easy for the software to just get out of the way and do its job

still, even after all this time there's tons of features I've never used and through tutorials I'm still learning.
gregwar

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 am

I use Digital Performer. It was Mac only when I started and while they went cross platform, I'm not certain that the windows side actually works.

So my experience was that a friend who had been using it for years (STG) told me that it had a very steep learning curve and that my studio could be taking steps backward for months, but that it would be worth it in the end.

That kind of freaked me out, but in reality, I was totally working again in a week and felt perfectly comfortable in three. Bear in mind that previously my studio was strictly tape based and I wouldnt have allowed a computer anywhere near the place.

So what I'm sayin is that its either me or the software or both, but I've never been in a situation where I couldn't do what I wanted. There are things that I don't know I want, that the software is capable of and I'm oblivious to it because the application hasn't turned up yet.
So I've been using it for ten years now and people constantly tell me I should use what they're using, and I really have no interest in even considering any other brand. At all. I'm content.

One of you made a comment about Mac stuff. I gotta say, it's the easiest platform to use and in my experience always works and takes no more effort that plugging stuff in. Conversely I had used windows for many years prior and am still forced to use it at work to this day, and I tell ya I have absolutely no clue how you people can even consider having that stuff in your homes. I've never come across something that was supposed to be an enabling tool but actually worked against you to the point that you lose a bit of sanity.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:08 am

Wait...wat thread is this anyway?
ClavAnother

Postby soundwave106 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:00 pm

It's really a personal preference type of situation.

I use Reaper personally. It's rock solid and very stable. I mostly record tracked audio without a whole lot of fancy needs, and I think it's one of the better DAWs in this department (can pretty much handle any clip, is pretty light on the CPU). It's also super customizable and scriptable if you like that sort of thing.

If I used a lot of fancy MIDI editing, I would probably not be using Reaper, as its MIDI handling is still kind of clunky. Ableton's a lot better at the live / techno loop oriented type stuff for instance (though someone has developed something called Playtime that might satisfy the loop guys for all I know). Cubase, DP, and Logic seem to have a few more professional features that allow you to really get behind those fancy orchestral plugins or other things for the film scoring crowd from what I hear.

The new kid on the block that might satisfy my requirements is Presonus Studio One. It's supposedly *real* intuitive. But I'm happy with Reaper, no need to relearn a new system. :lol:

ClavAnother wrote:One of you made a comment about Mac stuff. I gotta say, it's the easiest platform to use and in my experience always works and takes no more effort that plugging stuff in. Conversely I had used windows for many years prior and am still forced to use it at work to this day, and I tell ya I have absolutely no clue how you people can even consider having that stuff in your homes. I've never come across something that was supposed to be an enabling tool but actually worked against you to the point that you lose a bit of sanity.

I'm okay with Windows 7 personally. It's actually pretty stable (a Windows OS that's *stable?* Yup.).

I also use it at work, it's pretty horrible there, but that's because the work PC is overloaded with all sorts of corporate oriented junk / monitoring / management / guardian type tools that prevent employees from doing naughty things (like, say, opening up the Chrome debugger -- us developers :facepalm:ed at that one). It also makes the performance incredibly slow, despite being a pretty powerful Thinkpad.

The nice thing about Apple is that their consumer stuff Just Works and since they own the OS they have no incentive to put crapware on it.

I cannot say the same about most commercial Windows PCs and I think that's a large part of why Microsoft has a crappier reputation than deserved (at least since the Win7 days). The best thing to do with Windows machines is to build your own, or at the very least wipe out the OS on the laptop and do a fresh install (if you can find the drivers). Microsoft does offer "signature edition" PCs directly from their store that should be crapware free, for the "just works" Windows experience that's probably a great option.

Windows 10 unfortunately sounds a little less stable at the moment, based on comments I'm hearing. Incidentally I'm also hearing people express more frustration at the latest Mac OS updates these days, in the same way (which is a shame if true, considering how rock solid Apple's OSes were before).
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:38 pm

:wave:
gregwar

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:55 am

LOL WE ARE NOT SYNTHING BY POSTING ON A THREAD CALLED y u nO sYNTHING! :idea:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Great news! Playing piano burns off as many calories as light housework or shopping! :grin:

How Many Calories Burned Playing the Piano?

For the 170 pound individual, they will burn approximately 54 kcals for every fifteen minutes. In comparison, kissing only burns 12 kcals.

Activities which expend the about the same number of calories as this activity include washing dishes, surfing, sweeping the floor, vacuuming, playing volleyball, doing laundry, making the bed, playing Frisbee, and dusting. Light shopping or browsing through the mall (window shopping) also burns about the same number.

Dietbrites
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:15 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
I cannot say the same about most commercial Windows PCs and I think that's a large part of why Microsoft has a crappier reputation than deserved (at least since the Win7 days). The best thing to do with Windows machines is to build your own, or at the very least wipe out the OS on the laptop and do a fresh install (if you can find the drivers). Microsoft does offer "signature edition" PCs directly from their store that should be crapware free, for the "just works" Windows experience that's probably a great option.

That's why I've always been scratching my head at the typical Mac vs PC arguments. If you can build a music PC, do a trim install with windows, disable the auto updates and otherwise don't screw around with it, you're good. :idk:

It's when people download all kinds of demo games and apps, surf the net non stop etc is when they get issues. I've had lord knows how many people tell me "it just got a virus". Like it's some kind of immaculate conception. Just get a firewalled router and good night sweet prince.

I am now inclined towards mac for two reasons..

1. Flash doesn't crash it like on my PC at work.

2. Because of the OS, you get more processing overhead than you do with a PC of similar stats. With my mac, I'm making error free videos where the video and voice don't run out of sync and even though I may take a hit from a VST, I don't get that awful "neo leaving the matrix" sound and I'm still on the stock sound card.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:33 am

These days I think an ad blocker (I use uBlock origin) actually is your best defense against "viruses" and other stuff of that ilk. There's too much "advertising malware" out there.

(Most ad malware still require you to click and download something, but no need to risk accidents in these days of ransomware written by programmers with way more skills than the script kiddies of yesterday. Ad blockers also give you a performance boost as all of that auto-play video and animated junk on the web gets turned off.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby gregwar » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:22 pm

ya I downloaded an ad blocker for my computer and my phone before they took it off the app store. I don't know if I ever ranted about this here but I AM NOT THE PRODUCT my phone, computer, etc is.

all my info at google is deleted and set to "do not track" and I hardly use facebook like I used to, its just all articles with very little personal info now. I'm just sick and tired of the business model where companies stack as much info as possible about us and then sell me, and collectively all of us, to the highest bidder for ads or whatever.

I know this hurts publishers and for that I'm sorry but especially on LTE my phone browser runs so much better. as far as I'm concerned music, photography, writing/journalism, and maybe movies and other creative pursuits will be a hole where money goes in but no money comes out. instead of valuing the arts people value the donald lol

I call it the charity economy where we only make any money if people feel like it but otherwise have no real support financially.

/rant
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:06 pm

I like the little side rant we found ourselves in...

What I want to add is that, I find it ironic (and a bit of a genius) that Google sells all of our information, and then effective blocks all spam in their gmail service. I don't ever get spam emails, they all get filtered out and I never see them. I also never miss any emails from anyone. So they're basically getting free money from the advertisers - because I don't see the ads people paid money for me to see.

The ads I do see are the ones from AdSense when I'm browsing and Google immediately knows based on my browse history what kind of music or photography items they think I'd be interested in... so I get to see the same ads over and over and over but that doesn't bother me much either :)

So I just don't worry about it. And I tend to stick to mostly the same internet pages (this forum, news sites, stuff like wikipedia) so I hardly ever get malware... only in the rare instances I wonder off the beaten path, or the site I'm visiting gets infected (happened to my photography forum a couple times).

SO Y AM I NO SYNTHING? I have no excuse now, I might as well start soon :smoke:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:21 am

Well I managed a fairly epic no synthing fail last night.

Was gonna synth, but I got in from work, had some food, then logged onto my Twitter to see there was a demo against Trump and his travel ban (and also kind of against the state visit) taking place in every major city, so I jumped back on my bike and headed into town.

You know you're late for the demo when you see people going in the opposite direction to you carrying a placard that looks like a wall. :facepalm: Allegedly had been 8k people out in Leeds, lol like 50 stragglers and the organisers when I finally got there, so I chatted to a few people then cycled home again. :facepalm: By which time I was knackered and it was getting late. :facepalm:
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:58 pm

Don't you hate when Trump interferes with your synthing? :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:23 pm

now that the dust is settling on the job hunt (it's been like 1 1/2 years with a university term, a work experience placement, temp/construction/call centre/whatever). i feel that in 2017 i can hopefully turn my attention back to my main hobby.

i started a music night where i get together and make noise with guests, regardless of my roommate or gf's plans. hopefully i can get new material going other nights too in headphones when i have time.

last night i spent a few hours with the v-synth. the sampling features are more advanced than the fantom g and the sound design possibilities are massive. i've been sampling the jp-08 and resampling the v-synth mono patches into itself.
gregwar

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.