The tea thread.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

The tea thread.

Postby christianrock » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:01 pm

I love my coffee, but I'm trying to cut down lately and drinking tea instead. I've always liked it but most of the time I drank more coffee than tea.

Now some people only consider tea to be "Camelia sinensis" - the leaf that brings us black tea, green tea, white tea, oolong tea, etc etc etc. But I love herbal tea made from chamomile, lemongrass, rooibos, mint, sage (added for taste and cuz it's healthy), and even eucalyptus (good for clearing your sinuses). And I like my black/green tea with things such as orange rinds (Constant Comment), bergamot (Earl Grey) and similar things - even jasmine, peach, mango, etc for added flavors.
I've had mint (2 types), lemongrass and sage plants for years now, so when I make some tea, even if it's tea that I bought, I'll throw some leaves in there for more awesomeness and a fresh delicious taste. For sweetening, at least at home, it's either brown sugar or honey.

Also, whenever I am at a restaurant I always get iced tea instead of soda.

Who else likes tea?

Oh and I need to take pictures of the teapot we got in 2006 when we got married, that I've used maybe over a thousand times by now. It's a conversation piece by itself :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: The tea thread.

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 pm

I love tea. But the only kind I've really ever been exposed to is Southern Sweet Tea™. You know, the kind you have with your greens and cornbread.

I live a very sheltered existence.

I would *like* to expand my horizons. Recommend me sumfn. Something for tea nubs.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Well it would depend on what you like.

Some people like tea from the chinese tea leaves, that I was talking about. So get like a pack of Twinnings Assorted Teas (it's called something like that) and see what you like.

Or, get some pots and get some lemongrass and mint growing. If you get any frost the lemongrass dies, so you gotta bring it in, in that case.

I can also recommend jasmine green tea. That's the kind of tea that I add a couple mint leaves, to add to the awesomeness of it :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I will have to try. I kinda already think I don't like green tea, at least not the kind that comes prepackaged in plastic water bottles.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 pm

I am, slowly, trying to learn to like tea. Mainly because teh wife and I have sworn off diet Pepsi.

I'm still not enthused by tea, yet.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:48 am

Constant Comment is probably my fave. Green tea smells like hay.
Plink Floyd

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:55 am

I like lemon/ginger

Also, Rose Hip.

I drink green tea because it's apparently good for you, not because I like it very much. The one with jasmine is definitely better.

Rooibos tastes like licking a tree.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Purity_Control » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:47 am

I have Lady Grey tea in at the moment, also some cheaper nondescript tea bags for the times I don't feel that fussed about it.

Green tea I only really drink when I'm in a Chinese or Japanese restaurant.

Sometimes I've tried making Chrysanthemum tea, it's supposed to be a tonic or pick me up... tbh when I make it from the dried buds it's ok but a bit bitter, sometimes I get some premade stuff that the Chinese supermarket sells as 'Chrysanthemum drink' lol little foil sachets of granules you make up, that's quite sweet and tasty if probably full of msg or something lol.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:06 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:I have sworn off diet Pepsi.

Wait, WUT???!!!

:eek:

!! oh!
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:06 pm

We have way too much tea around here.... my wife grew mint tea for a while too. Black, green, red, jasmine, chai, chamomile ect.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:27 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:... because teh wife and I have sworn off diet Pepsi.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:29 pm

gahhhhhhhwuhhhhhhhunhhhhhhhhhhhh?
MetroSonus

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:09 pm

True story. :cool: Now going on 5 weeks, soda-free.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:52 am

Any difference, quality of life-wise?
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:33 am

And do you get the headaches people commonly espouse when they "quit" caffeine?

I have been off caffeine for months and haven't noticed any headaches aside from the sinus crud that always hits this time of year. Damn golden rods.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Nope, no discernible side-effects, other than just wanting to drink something with flavor. Water's damn boring. :lol: And nope, no headaches.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:19 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Nope, no discernible side-effects, other than just wanting to drink something with flavor. Water's damn boring. :lol: And nope, no headaches.

Well that's good news! May I suggest the kiwi/strawberry or fruit punch flavored Crystal Light? I drink those two almost exclusively nowadays. It tastes like koolaid but has very little sugar.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Constant Comment is probably my fave. Green tea smells like hay.

Our office buys us tea, but they used to only get Earl Grey and green tea. Now I made them get Constant Comment too :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:28 am

selfinflikted wrote:May I suggest the kiwi/strawberry or fruit punch flavored Crystal Light? I drink those two almost exclusively nowadays. It tastes like koolaid but has very little sugar.
Crystal Light was the first bev I know that featured NutraSweet, which caused much rejoicing. Up till then, your only sweetness options were Saccharine (cancer) or sugar (blubber). But I think you can quickly loose lots more weight with Crystal Meth. I mean, loosing all your teeth, that's two or three pounds right there.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Now does crystal meth believe in me like crystal light does?

I need the positive reinforcement other wise I don't really believe that life is for living and that I'm out there doing it, like tampon commercials would have you believe. Not that I use those though, but that i'm simply dependent upon advertisers over simplified, feel good messages for daily affirmation.
MetroSonus

Next

Return to The Hang Out.