Did anyone ever make an Emulator emulator?

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Did anyone ever make an Emulator emulator?

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:40 pm

lol you do know what I mean, llike something that sounds like and/or can play the original samples for the Emulator I & II?

There was just something about the way those things sounded that blew away most of the technically 'better' romplers for some time to come... they sure had character.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Re: Did anyone ever make an Emulator emulator?

Postby christianrock » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Like this: http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/emulation-ii.html ?

A bit on the pricey side, I'd think the real thing would cost about that much, by now!

I think the free Proteus VX also has all the Emulator filters and some of the samples? Digital Sound Factory also has the Emax package. I thought they had E-I and E-II packages in the past, but I could be mistaken...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:29 am

I went through a big phase the last few years of trying to emulate lots of old samples. there are a few different approaches

if u want to use it as a rompler you can play the original sample libraries in kontakt and dimention from the folks cr mentioned

some people have resampled the outputs from the emax, usually those aren't full libraries but one off (like strings from a synclavier)

my preferred approach is to use a combination of bit crushers, eqs, comps, tape sims, saturation and other plug-ins to get close.

d16 decimort has presets for vintage samplers, then something like decapitator can add 'fatness', or an eq can bring out the 'sweetness' (for strings), something like softube trident can do 'eq saturation' to add harmonics for plucky sounds, etc

morgana and urs have preamp distortion plug-ins for when you overload the input stage of old samplers, futz box by mcdsp does a wide variety of different distortions, sound toys filter freak and volcano can add nice filtering, etc

granted it can take a lot of processing power to achieve some of these tone shaping ideas (and one of the reasons I use uad) but if you use a few of those plugs moderately you can build up sounds that are thick and rich in harmonics like the old samplers, layer them, etc
gregwar

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:47 pm

christianrock wrote:A bit on the pricey side, I'd think the real thing would cost about that much, by now!

Emulator IIs have held onto their value a *bit* more than the average sampler, due to the Magical Rainbow Goodness of "analog filters" or something. (So around $250-$400, which is quite a chop of the $8K 1980s dollars list price.)

Of course, difficulty with The Real Thing: 5 1/4" floppies. Buzz buzz WHIRRR! buzz... the good ol' computing days. :lol:
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:02 pm

$250?

They are going for 1,500 quid here! :freak:

That would suck if the floppy drive crapped out right after you bought it.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:02 pm

You're right, I was referring a 2010 GearSlutz thread. Silly me on trusting GearSlutz. :facepalm: I instead should use Ebay completed auctions.

On the Ebay, the range is $800 (not working) to $1300 (with working, replaced disk drive). 850 pounds for a tempermental disk drive version in the UK.

That's a *lot* of Magic Rainbow Analog Filter Goodness!

So yes, the Kontakt library price looks quite reasonable now. :)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Return to The Hang Out.