Help!!! PC and SSD Upgrade

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Help!!! PC and SSD Upgrade

Postby midinut » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:24 am

Yes I did get it and I love it. I noticed a few glitches and pops when I was tracking this morning, but found they went away after I restarted the PC. I had left it on all night (I just shut off the monitor) and we started recording without a reboot. Fixed it right up. I've got most of my devices running into an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB mixer (which is acting like a mixer and NOT a USB interface) and then into the UR22. I took the Zoom R24 out of the signal path and my signals are SOOOO clean. And beside the two inputs on the front where the cables are coming into the UR22 from the Alesis, there are two gain knobs. I noticed I was getting low signals from my POD X3 Live and when I turned up the gain I got plenty of signal without adding noise, so I am really liking the preamp a lot. I thinks they called them Yamaha's infamous D-PRE preamps. I think they sound great. Over the last five days, myself and my guitar playing collaborator have tracked probably 20 tunes and he commented how pristine everything sounded compared to my old system. I know ... it's not much of a review, but it's the best I can give you for now. If you have any more specific questions or want me to try something with it, please ask. I'll be happy to.

Oh, by the way, I went and got married on Monday to the wonderful woman I've been living in sin with for three years now. :wave: :lol:
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:42 am

midinut wrote:Oh, by the way, I went and got married on Monday to the wonderful woman I've been living in sin with for three years now. :wave: :lol:
Holy cow! Congrats and many Happies to ya man!!
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:55 am

:clap: Big congrats, Midi! :clap:
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm

hey congrats..! :wave:

Are you a mostly B&B sound man? I found sonic does that quite well, but as we've discussed in other threads, the softies just don't come with the 3k presets the hardware ones do. Do you need that many? No, but I miss the feeling of bumping into an unexpected preset and having some fun with it. Not to mention, I think the stuff on hardware (or more vanilla romplers) is meant for performance and VSTs in general are just for one style or so.

I just wish there was more middle ground I mean. It'd be nice to find a VST with a huge layered piano, choir, string and babbling brook layered combi and just rock out on that...
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby midinut » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks Metro! Yeah I'm a B&B guy from the standpoint that if I hear something in my head I want to be able to pull it up in my hardware AND my software. However, I love programs like Omnisphere that go way outside the B&B box and give you those "sounds you never would have thought of" as well. I'm also old school, so my B&B needs are based on what I hear in my head that was available in the 70s and 80s. At present my go to VSTs are Lounge Lizard 4 for Rhodes (such an improvement over LL3, VB3 for organ, and I'm using the built in pianos, basses and drums in HALion Sonic SE. I use Omnisphere for acoustic guitars, strings, vocals, and pads from hell. I (finally after much ado) just ordered the full version in the Absolute VST Collection (which will qualify for an automatic update to HALion Sonic 2). I'm planning to add EZ Drummer shortly to give me more variety in drums + MIDI drum tracks. Stylus RMX is on my wish list and I also plan to add Trilian to give me all the bass sounds I could ever imagine. I'd like to have a good clav sound and have not been that impressed with my hard or soft selections there. I think I may grab Guido's Die Funky Maschine (unless someone recommends something better). I bought HALion Sonic 2 to hopefully replace my Yamaha Motif ES sound set (which I love) before I put the Yammy up for sale. I need to sell it to fund other purchases. I'll wait until after I install it and use it to see if it fulfills my needs. I have also got my eye on Komplete 9 (still undecided on Standard versus Ultimate) so that having the Scarbee stuff in it may eliminate my need for some of the other libraries such as Steinberg The Grand 3 or HALion Symphonic Orchestra.

After the session my writing partner and I just got done with I'm re-evaluating my studio needs. I need some better pianos than what I have, and I need a good orchestral selection.

As for live, I have my Kronos. I still have my Korg M3-73 with Radias that I need to sell to pay for these additions. I have those needs covered in the Kronos. I am trying to get the kinks worked out of my laptop and intend to use it with Cantabile and my VST's hooked up to my M-Audio Keystation 88es as my bottom board while my Kronos sits on top. Should be able to cover a lot of ground with that setup AND have the Kronos as a backup if the laptop goes down for some reason. I need to improve my monitoring system too. I have considered grabbing a MOX8 for the bottom board and not even trying to take the VSTs out. After a session though you want to be able to recreate things live if you need to.

It's still hard to believe or imagine we have all this technology at our disposal. If only we'd had had these options 40 years ago, right?
So Santa, if you're listening ...
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Congrats on the marriage!

Not sure which is better, new equipment or marriage...
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:53 pm

MetroSonus wrote:I just wish there was more middle ground I mean. It'd be nice to find a VST with a huge layered piano, choir, string and babbling brook layered combi and just rock out on that...

A true workstation replacement VST is *definitely* a gap in the VST market. In my mind, it would indeed be something like Omnisphere with the thousands of patches, but with less focus on dreamscapes and film/TV effects. (Note that Spectrasonics hasn't announced anything in a while... they'd be one of the few that I think could actually pull it off.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Congrats on the marriage, midinut!!!

Also, what kind of pianos do you need, that would be better than the ones on the Kronos? Just curious as to why those aren't cutting it.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:53 pm

@CR

I love the pianos in the Kronos, and use them anytime I need great pianos. Live And when recording. However, I'd like to have more to choose from. Call me a greedy bastid. I have listened to demos but never tried Ivory, PianoTeq, True Pianos, or even the pianos in Komplete. I'm assuming they (or their likes) are the cream of the crop. I have,with Cubase 7, a trial version of The Grand SE. I haven't loaded it and tried it yet, but I can get the full version for $125 if it appeals to me. IIRC, it has a Steinway D, a Bosendorfer, a Yamaha C7, an upright, and a CP70 in it as well. So I'm just thinking about looking for more variety. HALion Sonic hasn't arrived yet so I'm curious if there is more to choose from than HS SE.

Same thing applies to HALion Symphonic Orchestra. It's a little dated, and I'm not expecting it to rival EWQL libraries but do assume it would be a step up from something like Garritan GPO. I can grab it for under $100 too. Reviews though old look good.
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:56 pm

midinut wrote:Call me a greedy bastid.

You greedy bastid!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 pm

midinut, don't forget Alicia's Keys. Like everything Scarbee, it's phenomenal.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby midinut » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 pm

christianrock wrote:midinut, don't forget Alicia's Keys. Like everything Scarbee, it's phenomenal.

I've heard that too. It's one reason I'm considering Komplete Ultimate.

I also have heard good things about Neo-Soul Keys which I can get from Steinberg for about $80
Can't imagine it being better than LL4, but I've got an old version of Scarbee Vintage Keyboard Collection that has all the Scarbee stuff, just not sure if it'll work with my new system.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:59 am

Listen: I give you secret...

NSFW: show
DX7 has best piano!

I Thank You!
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:12 am

soundwave106 wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:I just wish there was more middle ground I mean. It'd be nice to find a VST with a huge layered piano, choir, string and babbling brook layered combi and just rock out on that...

A true workstation replacement VST is *definitely* a gap in the VST market. In my mind, it would indeed be something like Omnisphere with the thousands of patches, but with less focus on dreamscapes and film/TV effects. (Note that Spectrasonics hasn't announced anything in a while... they'd be one of the few that I think could actually pull it off.)

I used SampleTank 2 XL and Sonik Synth 2 for years. They won't work in 64-bits. IK is going to be releasing SampleTank 3 before the end of the year from what I've heard and it should load up all my IK/SR libraries. These sounds were pretty good B&B offerings and you had an interface that would allow you to split/layer and build combinations/performances just like a workstation. Omnisphere offeres that too and I agree that if anyone could do it right it would be Eric. Everytime I have ever filled out a survey for Spectrasonics and it asks what should we create next, I always answer B&B or a Soft-ROMpler. Here's for hoping.

I also own another product that doesn't play in teh 64-bit sandbox. Edirol VSC Virtual Sound Canvas. I used to love it because it gave me most of those famous Roland sounds we all know and love/hate. Sure wish someone would update that to 64-bit too.
midinut

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm

midinut wrote:Sure wish someone would update that to 64-bit too.

I found it interesting when I heard that Logic Pro X removed the 32 bit bridge by default. Apple's wanting to give these plugin developers, some of which have been slow on the 64 bit updates, a kick towards The Future, I guess.

Since I sometimes use Gigantic Sample Libraries I find 64 bit rather necessary. Reaper does have a 32 bit bridge, but it doesn't play nice with everything unfortunately. There's a few plugins I'm holding back on looking at until they get updated to 64 bit (FAW Circle and Waldorf Largo are on my radar for instance). A 64 bit Sampletank would be very tasty too.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby midinut » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:18 am

My understanding is that SampleTank 3 will be 64-bit and is "supposed" to be available before the end of this year.

After I bought Cantabile, I also purchased jBridge. It helps run several of my older VSTs like Oddity and M-Tron, but doesn't help with SampleTank 2 for some reason. Or Sonik Synth 2 either. Maybe it's an IK Multimedia thing? I don't know.

Arturia has big news coming on the 25th. Curious as to what that could be as well.
I bought iSEM the other night (honeymoon night - new wife says buy it - I say she's a keeper!)
midinut

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.