Help!!! PC and SSD Upgrade

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Help!!! PC and SSD Upgrade

Postby midinut » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:59 pm

The UPS guy came today with the new PC and my SSD drive (UR22 showed up too!!). New PC has Windows 7 Home Premium and I just got finished making 5 Restore DVDs and a Support DVD Backup (which I think has all the drivers on it). The SSD drive didn't come with a SATA cable so I'm off to Best Buy to grab one of those. Samsung included a DVD with the drive that has their "Magician" and data transfer software that clones your drive and then transfers the clone to the new SSD but the pics look like it requires some sort of SATA-->USB cable (the kit they pictured also has a bracket for mounting the SSD inside a tower case). You folks think I should order the kit somewhere? Or is this doable on my own? If I can use the SATA cable and make it fir can I not just use my restore DVDs to restore the SSD drive and then change the BIOS settings to make the SSD the boot drive? Am I so old school that I'm missing something here? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

BTW - there is a Mom & Pop PC place up the street that I'm sure I could take it to and just have them do it for me. That is always an option but I'd like to use it as a last resort unless you guys think I'd be better off and less stressed hitting them up in the morning.
Last edited by midinut on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midinut

Re: Help!!!

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:56 am

Kool!

Myself, I wouldn't buy the mounting brackets for the SDD. Those drives are very light, and they don't vibrate, so I just found two screw holes in an empty drive bay that line up with two of the threaded holes in the SSD and let it hang into space. That may even improve cooling. Just don't let the cables put a bind on the drive.

As far as cloning the OS to the SSD, I'd fire up the puter without the new drive, go through all the setup stuff, then insert the Samsung DVD & do what it tells you. Then bung in the SSD. Hopefully the Samsung software will do the xfer that way. It won't hurt anything if not, and you've backed it all up anyway. Good thing you don't have to try & transfer a bunch of other programs.

If the SSD & mobo both support SATA III 6GB/s, find and use the correct SATA socket on the mobo.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:22 am

Thanks Plink. I did boot up Win 7 and made my recovery DVDs. On my desktop was a PDF user guide but no mobo specs so I'm not sure about SATA III 6Gb/sec. I'll dig around online in the morning. I'm prolly gonna go ahead and drop it off at a shop and let them do it. That way I can work on my homework and just go pick her up when they're done with it. Less stressful too! lol
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:38 am

Congrats on your new arrivals! I am green.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:09 pm

Normally, when you clone a drive, USB isn't involved. You hook both drives up via the SATA ports on the motherboard and the software should be able to clone from there. After cloning, you remove the old drive and things should work just fine from there (unless your bios screws up the boot order).

Some SSD drives have a USB port, where you can also use the SSD as if it were a giant Thumb Drive Thingy. And I'm guessing the SATA-USB cable is much of the same deal. It would be possible to clone using this setup as well, but it would be a lot slower. My guess is that the Samsung instructions were written for people who are afraid to open their computer. If you have eSATA on your machine, that won't be as good as direct, but it would be better than standard USB.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby midinut » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Okay. Quick update. I got the SSD drive installed. Successfully used the data migration software that came with the drive to clone the HD to the SSD. But now it's showing both drives with Win 7 on them and I can't seem to change the BIOS to boot off the SSD. In the Asus BIOS it only shows the HD and the DVD as options. SSD doesn't appear in the list. Suggestions anyone? And thanks for putting up with me btw. You guys are great!
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:57 pm

midinut wrote:Okay. Quick update. I got the SSD drive installed. Successfully used the data migration software that came with the drive to clone the HD to the SSD. But now it's showing both drives with Win 7 on them and I can't seem to change the BIOS to boot off the SSD. In the Asus BIOS it only shows the HD and the DVD as options. SSD doesn't appear in the list. Suggestions anyone? And thanks for putting up with me btw. You guys are great!

If you unplug the HDD and try to boot with nothing in the DVD drive, what happens? Does the SSHDD even appear in the boot list?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:13 am

Yeah, do that. But I have doubts that it'll boot from the SSD since it isn't listed as a boot choice. Sounds like the migration software didn't do it's thing for some reason.

Check & see if your bios is set to enable AHCI mode.

Glad to hear you got an ASUS mobo, good on ya! Once you get it sorted, you'll like it.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm finally caught up on my school work. Now it's time to get this thing working. I did open the case back up and take a closer look at the SATA slots on the mobo. I have 6. Four of them are labelled SATA3G_1 thru SATA3G_4, and I have two labelled SATA6G_E1 and SATA6G_E2. Best that I can tell, without snipping the cable wrap job, the DVD burner is in one of the SATA 3 slots and the 2TB drive is in one of the SATA 6 slots. The cable I picked up the other day is a SATA 3 cable. I had it plugged into the SSD and had it plugged into one of the SATA 3 slots. That is when it was showing up under My Computer but not showing up in the BIOS boot menu. I ordered a SATA 6 cable yesterday and ups dropped it off a few minutes ago. I've got a Biology class for about an hour and then I'll have some time to dig into this. In the meantime, if any of you can think of anything obvious I'm missing here, please let me know. I took some pictures yesterday of the mobo and the SATA slots, just have not had time to upload and post them yet.
midinut

Postby midinut » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:40 am

Okay. let's see if I can remember how to do this ...
Here is da pic of the new SSD drive
Here is a pic of teh new PC innards.
This is a closeup of the SATA receptacles (plugs/slots)
This is a sketch I made of the layout of these 6 SATA slots

Okay, so here's where I'm at so far. Drive is installed. Check. Drive has been cloned (using the included Data Migration software) twice now, both times telling me it was successfully cloned. I can open up My Computer and see both drives (each drive has a data partition also), the DVD drive, and the multi-card reader. When I reboot and go into teh Asus BIOS, I only see Toshiba (internal HD), the DVD, and the card reader. No SSD appears here. I initially had installed the SSD using a SATA 3 cable but it now has a SATA 6 cable. It is plugged into the SATA6G_E1 slot. The original drive is in the the SATA6G_E2 slot. I tried one of you guys suggestions and unplugged the internal HD and this is the message I get:

Now this is the message I get when I try to boot off the SSD with the HD unplugged. When I plug the HD back in it boots up fine.
I tried to do a support chat with Samsung to get them to help me but the chat people don't support this drive (yet). I was told to call an 800 number tomorrow morning. So until then ...

When I do finally get this badass mofo working, I promise to take a camera video of the boot time. Until then, be patient (and feel free to offer suggestions to get me up and running if you have them!). Until then feel free to laugh your ass off at me!
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:40 am

So, you're saying the ASUS bios can't see the SSD at all (not even in the advanced mode SATA settings screen), or it just can't see a boot sector on the SSD?

Since My Computer sees the SSD, I still suspect the Samsung Migration Magician software thingy isn't giving the SSD a boot thingy.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:48 am

I've got the Magician software loaded. I ran it but know not what I'm doing. There are two seperate pieces of software. First is the Data Migration software which clones your hard drive to the SSD. Second is the Samsung Magician software which does some optimization things but I don't see anything in it about getting your boot thingie together. It too has a data migration button but it takes you to Norton Ghost which they WERE using up until recently. But alas, no link or authorization code. Somebody somewhere mentioned something about ATHI (?) settings. I don't see anything in the ASUS BIOS that resembles that (even under advanced settings).

:samsh: :drink:
midinut

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:50 am

I haven't built a PC since the 90's. All I can offer is my sympathies and hope that you figure it out!
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:49 am

I've built at least a dozen in the last five years, but I've always done a fresh OS install. I've not 'recovered' or cloned a PC for ever so long, but when I did, I used Norton's.

Anywaiz, your bios should automatically detect all properly powered and connected SATA gizmos. AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interthingy) can be found in your bios under "Advanced Menu/SATA Configuration", and in section 2.5.4 of your mobo manual, which you should DL from the bottom of this page. Your SSD should be set for AHCI. I'm not sure about the mech HDD, just leave it's settings as is.

That's probably not the trouble, though. I just think the Master Boot Record isn't being put on the SSD. Are there any choices when running the migration software, like "one-to-one" copy? Because if you chose to, say, "clone system partition only", the MBR probably won't migrate. I bet when you call Samsung, they'll have the answer.

Did you roll your own PC with individual parts, or is it a pre-made box with Windows pre-loaded? Cause, if you had a Windows disk, you could just install the OS fresh onto the SSD from the DVD.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:45 am

If it's a pre-loaded OS by the mfgr, Samsung may direct you to Limitation # 6 in the Samsung Data Migration software manual:

6. OEM recovery partitions, generated at the factory by computer manufacturers, cannot be replicated.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Perhats there is an update to your BIOS? Flash that motha.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:42 pm

If you have the original drive still w/ data on it, I'd wipe the SSD and put windows on if you had the disc too. I'm not sure about SSDs, but corrupt boot partitions, screwed up windows, bad HDDs and other things will make a HDD fail a POST test. They say it isn't so.. but I've seen it happen plenty.

Again, I don't know how SSD works, but I'd break down the partitions, rebuild them and then reformat the drive, on an HDD anyway :idk:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby soundwave106 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:12 pm

The best suggestion that I've seen in Teh Forums is to boot to the original HDD, and make a system repair disc (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... epair-disc). When you boot to the SSD, use the system repair disc to make the necessary repairs.

As I understand it, the problem with these things is that sometimes the low level drivers don't transfer over very well when hardware changes with clones. (That's why I usually do fresh installs.)
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby midinut » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:50 pm

I talked to Asus support while the PC was being shipped to find out if it shipped with the Win 7 DVD's. It did not. They told me when I first booted up Win 7 I would be given a choice of making a set of Recovery DVD's (which I did - it took 5 DVD-R's). I also opted to make a DVD of the Support Tools as well. Digging around in one of the Win 7 forums turned me on to making a recovory CD so I have that now too. It is probably something simple (I hope) but I'm calling Samsung now so I'll let you know in a bit. Thanks again guys!
midinut

Postby midinut » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Wonderful. Not our problem. Call the manufacturer of the computer and tell them you need installation media so you can do a fresh install onto the SSD. Yay. Don't you love tech support?

Just got off the chat line with Asus. They said I could call the estore and purchase a set of recovery media. I told him I had created a set of 5 DVDs when I activated Windows 7. He said I could boot off of them and create a fresh install of Win 7 on the SSD. I personally think he's full of shit, but hey, I'll try anything once ... twice if I like it!

I shall return with an update again momentarily.

BTW - thanks for the link to the mobo manual. I downloaded it, just haven't looked at it yet!
Last edited by midinut on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midinut

Next

Return to The Hang Out.