Audio/MIDI interfaces

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Audio/MIDI interfaces

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:23 am

I'm just thinking options here since my puter doesn't like the firewire interface anymore.

What does everyone else do about running audio/MIDI in and out of their computer?

tbh to say that the m-audio audiophile has served me well in some ways, it's always been a pain in terms of the drivers being unsupported on pretty much every computer/os i've had.

is there a better option for usb?
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Re: Audio/MIDI interfaces

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Ok, strike that last, I just stopped by PMT and got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Having a computer with no audio was going to drive me insane.

Plus the video card has stopped rattling now the drivers are installed.

Unless it starts again when I fire up a game.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Purity_Control wrote:I'm just thinking options here since my puter doesn't like the firewire interface anymore.

What does everyone else do about running audio/MIDI in and out of their computer?

tbh to say that the m-audio audiophile has served me well in some ways, it's always been a pain in terms of the drivers being unsupported on pretty much every computer/os i've had.

is there a better option for usb?
Wut, did the FW on your puter just stop working? If so, PCI FW cards are pretty cheap. Lots of nerds insist the card have the TI chipset. I dunno how important that is but I always do it anyway; it's not any more dosh, & because, y'know, lots of nerds say it.

My M-Audio 2496 PCI thing was always rock solid. I don't use it any more just because I can't be arsed to plug it in when I've a stereo USB interface laying around.
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:27 pm

The Audiophile drivers won't install on my computer now it has Windows XP with the integrated SP3.

Also every computer I've used that interface on has been a bit unstable, drivers again I think.

Firewire seems to be dying a death so i'm probably better in the long run for having an interface that's trasferrable to the next computer or two.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby soundwave106 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:59 am

Purity_Control wrote:I'm just thinking options here since my puter doesn't like the firewire interface anymore.

Fireface 800 w/ Firewire. :wink:

The next DAW computer upgrade I do though will be interesting. I use Windows 7 but Windows 8 frankly is pretty horrible, and Microsoft appears to be going off a cliff. Firewire *still* seems the best in interfaces today except perhaps for PCI, but Firewire is a "dying" protocol (though with a pretty entrenched AV niche). Everyone is ditching the powerful PCs for tablets and phones it seems, because the money is on the tweenz masses who don't use their computer for anything more than posting their entire life on Facebook and making amusing/annoying videos on Vine. Hmm...
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:39 am

I'm using FireWire as well. I've had varying levels of non-success using USB for real time stuff, so I'll stick with FW until it dies, I think.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:43 pm

I use a PCI card interface. Years ago when I got it, it was about all I could afford, and I didn't want the latency involved with external interfaces (I think that's pretty much a non-issue nowadays). Oh, and it's an EMU card, too. Probably, whatever you have is 10x better than what I have.

You may commence to /point and /laugh now. :facepalm:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby midinut » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm using a Zoom R24 as an audio interface at the moment. I am getting a new music PC at the end of this month and will also grab a Steinberg UR22 USB2.0 Interface when I order the PC. I just wanna make sure everything plays nicely with Cubase 7. That is all! :thu:
midinut

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Midi, dude. When you get your UR22, let me know how it is. Not too long ago, I almost bought one at the advise of CR. I didn't get it, but may still be in the market, if it's as good as I think it is.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby midinut » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 am

selfinflikted wrote:Midi, dude. When you get your UR22, let me know how it is. Not too long ago, I almost bought one at the advise of CR. I didn't get it, but may still be in the market, if it's as good as I think it is.

I'll do it. Should be the end of September (where is the emoticon for knocking on wood?)
I'm getting a new i7 with 16GB RAM, a 2TB 7200 HDD PC for recording and am going to slap a 256GB SSD in it and install Win 7 and Cubase 7. I just know I won't have any compatibility issues with the UR22. I thought about the UR28m but wanna spend that extra money I'll save on some softies. I'll keep you posted though. In case I don't post it here, I'll more than likely post my adventure in the Upgrading Your DAW thread over is the KSS area.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:09 am

Purity_Control wrote:got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
I predict you'll be really happy with that. I've heard no bad of it.

ElectricPuppy wrote:I'll stick with FW until it dies, I think.
FW should live until PCI slots die, I should think.

Pup, what was that interface you had that you hated?
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:06 pm

midinut wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:Midi, dude. When you get your UR22, let me know how it is. Not too long ago, I almost bought one at the advise of CR. I didn't get it, but may still be in the market, if it's as good as I think it is.

I'll do it. Should be the end of September (where is the emoticon for knocking on wood?)
I'm getting a new i7 with 16GB RAM, a 2TB 7200 HDD PC for recording and am going to slap a 256GB SSD in it and install Win 7 and Cubase 7. I just know I won't have any compatibility issues with the UR22. I thought about the UR28m but wanna spend that extra money I'll save on some softies. I'll keep you posted though. In case I don't post it here, I'll more than likely post my adventure in the Upgrading Your DAW thread over is the KSS area.

I am supremely jealous of all your new stuffs that you're getting. Supremely.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Pup, what was that interface you had that you hated?

It was a Presonus FireStudio. I think I just happened to have the perfect storm of incompatibility, never really figured it out. When it worked, it worked great. When it didn't, it was click/pop city.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 pm

My Firewire MR816 (grandfather of the UR22) works well with Firewire on my Mac.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Veracohr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:27 am

How many MIDI ports do you need? MOTU's UltraLite mk3 has 1 in/1 out as well as audio. I use an UltraLite (1st version with FW) but just for audio, and I like it. The mk3 has both FW and USB.

I use a MOTU micro lite (USB) for MIDI (5 in/5 out).
Veracohr

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:26 am

Veracohr wrote:How many MIDI ports do you need?
Interesting group type question.

Between keyboard synths, rack synths & effects, & controllers, I can think of nine midi things I'd like to leave plugged in. I don't like unplugging something just to plug in another. I hate having moar plugs than sockets.
Plink Floyd

Postby midinut » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 am

In my case I run everything in my studio into an Alesis MultiMix 8 and take the Main Outs of that into my interface. I like having everything hooked up so if I'm inspired to grab my Variax because I have an idea for guitar, I'm set. If I'm noodling on the Kronos and something inspires me, I'm in good shape. If I get a wild hair to add vocals, I haz a mic plugged in and ready. But that's what works best for me - and why two inputs is sufficient.

Someday, if I were to open a studio up for project work other than my own, I'd prolly add three UR824's so I could haz 24 inputs and I'd get a super serious board.
midinut

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 pm

My local Geetar Cntr had a good deal on a MOTU 896 Mk1, and I'm tired of waiting for a good deal on a better one, so I bought it. I have to wait till next week to pick it up.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:My local Geetar Cntr had a good deal on a MOTU 896 Mk1, and I'm tired of waiting for a good deal on a better one, so I bought it. I have to wait till next week to pick it up.

Oh nice! Those are a bit on the pricey side though, eh?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Purity_Control » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:47 pm

I tend to record things one track at a time... so don't use a huge number of ports or in/outs.
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Next

Return to The Hang Out.