Extra-vehicular Activities

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Extra-vehicular Activities

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:50 pm

So. I'm getting the windows tinted in my car today. I'm going with ceramic tint. Anyone else have this? Is it worth the extra monies?
Last edited by selfinflikted on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: Extra-vehicular Activities

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:11 pm

hooooooooooo that stuff is not cheap.

Any reason you're considering it over the regular stuff? I'd say unless you're transporting stuff with the car that may hit the windows or have dogs or something, I'd go with the standard stuff.

I had off the shelf 3M stuff on my pickup that ran for 13 years with no bubbles or anything.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Yes, it is expensive! Almost doubly so! It's costing me more than $300 to do a Mustang.

BUT, there is a reason I decided to go with ceramic:

In the tint shop, the guy had a display set up. There was a round piece of glass with 1/2 tinted with standard metallic (not dyed) tint, and the other with the ceramic. Behind said circle of tinted glass was a heat lamp. You spin the glass (it spins!) so that the heat lamp is directing heat only through the standard tint. You can feel the heat coming through - standard tint apparently only blocks UV rays (and not very much heat). Ok, so fine. BUT, when you spin the wheel so that the heat lamp is pointing through the ceramic tint, you can barely feel any heat at all.

Believe me, I am frugal in a lot of ways, and some would even say "cheap." But I was blown away by this demonstration. Totally blown away. I couldn't believe how much heat was blocked by that stuff (it looks the same as any standard metallic tint/dyed tint). So yea, I went with the ceramic strictly due to heat blockage. I think I will be satisfied, but wanted to see if any of the Trusted Treehouse Frens™ had any ceramic tint, just to compare notes.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:18 pm

so it's supposed to make the car cooler or you want to drive your car through forest fires? let me know how it works.. i'd be suspicious though that most of the heat in the car comes from the body being heated by infrared and then transmitting it to the inside. Not that I know anything about that kind of stuff. I'm an audio man really. booming stereos and bitches. I used to be into serious suspension mods too, but after the kids grow up and I get rid of the family car i'm getting a 4x4. cycle of life blah blah.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Haha! Being adult sucks sometimes, doesn't it? I imagine the tradeoff is worth it though ;)

Well, my car sits out in the baking sun from 6:30 am to 5:00 pm in the parking lot at work, not to mention in my own carport-less driveway at home. So it's in the sun pretty much any time the sun is out. So yea, it's to save the interior of the car (since the vast majority of the heat will come from the 'greenhouse' effect from sun thru windows, trapping heat). Plus, even though my car has an excellent a/c unit, it takes about half the trip home in the evenings to get it cooled off to "Mike Can Live With This" temperature. After tinting, my car should cool down MUCH faster. At least, that's the plan. ;)

A testament to my own adultedness: I had a NICE bandpass box with 12" Kicker Comp subs in my old car, plus a decent amp. I elected NOT to install this sound system in my new car. When asked why: "What do I need boom boom in my trunk for now? I can hear the stock stereo just fine!"

:facepalm:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Never did the tainted windows thing, never considered it a good use of my money. But that's just me :) I never spent a lot of money on a car. Cars are very fast depreciating things. 30 year old synths = awesome. 30 year old camera lenses = oh yeah. Try buying a 30 year old car and see what you get :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Yeah, I'm with you CR. I try to invest in things that appreciate, not depreciate. I've only ever paid cash for a car - can't stand the thought of paying interest on a depreciating asset.

I can understand getting tints though - in a hot place.

Re audio - could it be that the stock stereos in cars now are just so much better than years ago, that we don't need to splash out on new gear?

More importantly, it was Fathers' day on Sunday and my wife got me a coffee machine. Awwwww yisss.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:20 am

MetroSonus wrote:i'd be suspicious though that most of the heat in the car comes from the body being heated by infrared and then transmitting it to the inside. Not that I know anything about that kind of stuff.
Neither did I know anything about it, but I'd have guessed that a big percentage of IR comes in through the glass, and, at the moment, I have nothing better to do than look into it.

GlassMagazine.com (lol) says California has mandated the use of IR reflective auto glass in all vehicles sold there by model year 2014.

The article says "In a parked vehicle, the solar energy transmitted through windows represents 50 percent to 75 percent of the thermal energy entering the passenger compartment and absorbed by interior mass. IR reflective glass used in DOE-tested vehicles reduced the cabin and seat temperatures by 34 percent and 35 percent, respectively, reducing the AC usage required to reach a comfortable temperature. In a moving vehicle, IR reflective glass maintained a lower cabin temperature, similarly reducing the need for AC."

Some other boring sites about "absorbance" and "wavelynx" and "neenermeters" tend to make me believe that that ceramic stuff probably makes a noticeable improvement.

Also, black cars soak up moar solar heat than white ones.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:31 am

Also, I replaced this thingy in my son's car today:

It was a labor trade. He must now Clean the Entire GARAGE BWAA HAAAA HAR!!
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:37 am

CR, If you have a 1994 Toyota Pickup, I'll buy it.

Also, If I could afford it, I would by a

ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:46 am

:love: I had a 70 Camaro. Just a Plain Jane one, but I lubbed it.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Bonso and CR: Truth be told, about 65% of me wanting my windows tinted is actually due to the heat down here. The other 35% is for cosmetic purposes. My car looks shit hot now! And if I'm going to be driving in it for the next several years, I want to look good doing it! :jam:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Re audio - could it be that the stock stereos in cars now are just so much better than years ago, that we don't need to splash out on new gear?

while I do admit that stock stereos are much better than they were years ago in base model cars, I think it has more to do with trading quantity for quality. Kids are downloading more and more or youtubing it and cramming it into a 2.5 inch screen in front of their face with 9.99$ headphones.

I think in years past, it was a special connection with that CD or tape that you had to buy that you then went home or got in the car with and cranked up. I think that ease of access to the media has really lowered the appreciation of it and the way they interact with it.

Me, I'm definitely a roll down the windows in my pick up truck and crank the music kind of guy.
MetroSonus

Postby christianrock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:35 pm

BonsoWonderDog wrote:More importantly, it was Fathers' day on Sunday and my wife got me a coffee machine. Awwwww yisss.

Details are mandatory, not optional :cop:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:37 pm

ClavAnother wrote:CR, If you have a 1994 Toyota Pickup, I'll buy it.

Also, If I could afford it, I would by a

I almost bought a 1973 Dodge Charger RT once. If I had the cash, I woulda, it was green and beautiful and in great shape.
Now I'm married so that's never gonna happen.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:45 pm

MetroSonus wrote:

while I do admit that stock stereos are much better than they were years ago in base model cars, I think it has more to do with trading quantity for quality. Kids are downloading more and more or youtubing it and cramming it into a 2.5 inch screen in front of their face with 9.99$ headphones.

I had to get a new stereo in my kinda-girly 2007 Pontiac Vibe that I had to inherit once we got the MInivan. The old stereo broke so I got a cheap Pioneer - not the cheapest of all but just over a hundred dollars. You would not believe the difference in sound quality - even with the stock speakers. I knew the stock sound system kinda sucked but man it was bad.
Our minivan is quite better but it's a 2013 model, so maybe things are improving...

I think in years past, it was a special connection with that CD or tape that you had to buy that you then went home or got in the car with and cranked up. I think that ease of access to the media has really lowered the appreciation of it and the way they interact with it.

Absolutely

Me, I'm definitely a roll down the windows in my pick up truck and crank the music kind of guy.

Except at 5pm when it ALWAYS rains in the Tampa area for the daily drive home.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Yo Metro! Here's a question for you:

I was considering getting the brow tinted on my car yesterday, but ended up not going for it at the last minute because of the stupid as hell dot matrix that comes on the window (just behind and around the rearview mirror, in the shape of a pony, duh) from the factory. Tint doesn't usually stick so well to those dots, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions regarding this? I still want to do the brow tinting, but I want to make sure it won't look like T-total crap if I get it done.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:38 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Image

Unf. Do love this car.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:48 pm

selfinflikted wrote:Yo Metro! Here's a question for you:

I was considering getting the brow tinted on my car yesterday, but ended up not going for it at the last minute because of the stupid as hell dot matrix that comes on the window (just behind and around the rearview mirror, in the shape of a pony, duh) from the factory. Tint doesn't usually stick so well to those dots, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions regarding this? I still want to do the brow tinting, but I want to make sure it won't look like T-total crap if I get it done.

you have a mustang I presume? :lol:

The tint guy I know usually goes around it, if it's a "shape" and not something like a horse. He also puts a piece of black self adhesive vinyl (the kind for sign graphics) over it. There seems to be mixed reviews online... going over it is fine for some people, some people sanded the dots down, other people cleaned the crap out of it with ammonia first and then tinted over it.

Not to mention, if you didn't know this before, you need to clean your windows after tinting with an ammonia free window cleaner. Ammonia is what they use to take tint off windows. YOu can get a bottle of armor all window cleaner for dirt cheap. Cheaper than windex.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:59 pm

MetroSonus wrote:
selfinflikted wrote:Yo Metro! Here's a question for you:

you have a mustang I presume? :lol:

The tint guy I know usually goes around it, if it's a "shape" and not something like a horse. He also puts a piece of black self adhesive vinyl (the kind for sign graphics) over it. There seems to be mixed reviews online... going over it is fine for some people, some people sanded the dots down, other people cleaned the crap out of it with ammonia first and then tinted over it.

Not to mention, if you didn't know this before, you need to clean your windows after tinting with an ammonia free window cleaner. Ammonia is what they use to take tint off windows. YOu can get a bottle of armor all window cleaner for dirt cheap. Cheaper than windex.

Yes, I did know about no ammonia on tint - this aint my first rodeo. But thanks for the heads up all the same! This IS, however, my first rodeo with such a large dot matrix design on the front windshield.

I have heard of people painting it with a matte black paint, using the vinyl, tinting over it (with seriously mixed results), and even using $0.25 Elmer's Glue sticks :freak:

I REALLY want my brow tinted, I just don't know which avenue to turn down. I don't want to tint over it if the tint won't stick - that would look worst of all. (the dot matrix is an actual shape one could cut around, it's just that some of the dots are colored to trace an outline of a mustang). I'll post a pic of it. It's really obnoxious. lol.

Oh, and Yes. I have a Mustang. 2012 v6. (daily driver)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Next

Return to The Hang Out.