Synths.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Synths.

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:07 am

So, once upon a time, I'm pretty sure we used to talk about noise machines and keyboards and general peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee machines. Is this not so? Are not doing that anymore? Have we moved on?

Do we not speak of the supersaws anymore? Do we no longer take two oscillators and detune one?

What has become of us???

Sincerely,
That guy that used to play synths sometimes
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Re: Synths.

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:20 am

I recently turned off osc sync on my Moog, and detuned osc two in order to play Have A Cigar tonight at a Mojo Shiver gig.

Not really what you are referring to, but I still did it...
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:34 am

I, too, am guilty of not synthing lately. If my boards were children, they'd be in CPS for neglect at this point. Notice, however, how my avatar makes me look like an attentive father.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:So, once upon a time, I'm pretty sure we used to talk about noise machines and keyboards and general peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee machines. Is this not so? Are not doing that anymore? Have we moved on?

I've stopped doing "the band thing", but still jam on my keyboardz making imaginary Hollywood scores at home some nights. So I still has a keyboard (or way too many, really), even if half the time it is merely triggering weepy Spitfire Albion strings or something.

Probably the lack of new gear announcements since Musikmesse has something to do with it. It is less exciting to talk about the application of, say, the Theoriez of Counterpoint.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:22 pm

No I have not been doing synthing lately.

Until I have my basement walls waterproofed and my studio re-done, that'll likely stay so...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Soundwave, I could agree. Most of the blogs I follow are either inactive or grinding down to Ebay auctions as filler.

It's very inactive synth wise right now. Partly due to the market and partly due to any musical styles not being popular right now that use keyboards or synths. Seems we're in a lull from the all the "i'm a guitarist and is a micrkorg a good keyboard?" questions.

In all honesty, I think the iPod shuffle 1 really got music to be cool again for a decade. It had been winding down since the 90's and then bam, aston catcher hats, day glow, carnival colored will smith sneakers and ipod shuffles.

Seems to me in the aftermath the tween market is where it's at now.

For me, I'm plotting my revenge, er come back. I'm happy being an active dad and supporting my wife as she gets through school now, but I do miss music. I'm working on several passive income streams online and maybe that will give me some money to stockpile some gear with. Until then, I could use a break and spend time with the family. But once I get a sizable setup going, I want to take a break. I think I had been doing it steadily, as a hobby anyway, since 95.

Doesn't mean I don't still like it or want to keep up with what's going on in the synth world though :)
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:02 am

christianrock wrote:Until I have my basement walls waterproofed
Drainage, drainage, drainage. If that's not good, nothing will stop the leakies.

-

Synthing: Teh Fam & hardscrabbling for filthy lucre seems to leave me little time lately. Not to mention I want a really good interface but can't seem to find one I can afford. I haz funds earmarked, there just haven't been any good deals lately. And I won't pay retail, I just won't. No sir.

So don't ask me.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:43 am

Well, I still play. I played my detuned Moog in front of a very receptive audience tonight and it felt great.

You guyz should all be ashamed for not synthing \.:mad:.?

Your excuses mean nothing; we are all fortunate enough to be alive today, so why don't you celebrate by causing your device to emit a sound :confuse:

The positive energy healing power is stronger than you may remember... the reason we do this thing is because it is good.

Be good people. Make a sound.

Side note: sometimes when I fart, I mention to people that I just cast a smell; AbrakaChadra. Occasionally people find the cleverness to be humourous.
ClavAnother

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:18 am

ClavAnother wrote:Side note: sometimes when I fart, I mention to people that I just cast a smell; AbrakaChadra. Occasionally people find the cleverness to be humourous.
I'd laugh at that.

Except in an elevator.
Plink Floyd

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Plink Floyd wrote: Not to mention I want a really good interface but can't seem to find one I can afford.

What are you going for? One of those rack jobs with tons of line ins? In my wizend wirzarded aged, I'm happy to settle for a prosumer interface. I've found time and time again that there's little difference between them unless you're getting 120+ stereo line ins or onboard tubes or something.

20 years ago, that was a different story.
MetroSonus

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:17 pm

MetroSonus wrote:It's very inactive synth wise right now. Partly due to the market and partly due to any musical styles not being popular right now that use keyboards or synths.

Well, this isn't true. :lol: Almost *all* the new music I hear for Today's Generation is heavy on teh synth. That would be: hip-hop / club dance type stuff, and indie pop. And of course the dance culture genres (electro house and dubstep being the current flavor-of-the-month). And stuff to make tween girls swoon (eg One Direction) or stuff that *used* to make teen girls swoon (eg Justin Bieber). And, inexplicably, Cher.

Only pop country has any big amounts of guitar left (or the metal scene, but even they have synth these days with their symphonic / industrial flavors).

In fact, I would go so far as to say guitar driven rock and roll is, well not "dead" but "resting". To the Pitchfork (indie pop / hipster) crowd, it's almost an outright sin to imitate a 1990s guitar driven style (eg grunge or punk pop). Correspondingly, the biggest complement is to borrow from 1980s styles ranging from poppy synthpop to old 120 Minutes era music (which means, if you *do* have guitar, it's either REM jangle or drowned in enough reverb to please even the most diehard 4AD collector).

The gap for styles to go from uncool to retro-chic seems to be roughly 25-30 years, so I'm expecting a grunge / punk pop "revival" in about 5-10 years. :lol:

All forums and blogs have crowds, so I'm guessing it "depends on the forum". I haven't visited HC a whole lot since The Change but I remember it being an older rock and roll crowd. I don't know where the hip-hop producers or dance producers or indie pop guys hang out these days. (Actually these guys may not hang in forums anymore, it may be a sub Reddit or Facebook groups or just Tweeting all over the place or whodafuckknows. I remember peeking at the UKF dubstep forum a bit ago and it was decently active, but they killed the forum recently due to SPAMBOT INVASION!.) :idk:

Also, these type of bands make for less compelling gear shots /discussion since half the time it would be their Apple laptop and plugins. A lot of indie bands still tour with Little Phattys and TEH MICROKORG, but even the dance producers with a lot of hardware often are still 75%-100% software.

It's very surprising how static the plugin market is. The big names are still constant: Native Instruments, Spectrasonics, Camel, reFX, u-He, Rob Papen, z4ta, etc. The only real big "up and coming" type thread I see on KVR is for Reveal Sound Spire, which has too much overlap on all of my other analog emulating VSTs (that I don't use anyways, Kontakt sample libraries, Alchemy, and Omnisphere are the biggies here). The modular world has exciting gear stuff going on, but that's esoteric.
Last edited by soundwave106 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Agreed. Everything I hear (admittedly, this isn't much because I hate contemporary music for the most part) is extremely synth heavy. Of course, it all seems to be PRESET synth heavy - I haven't noticed any actual programming at all, except for maybe the new NiN stuff, but I'm not even sure I like it yet (leaning towards "no"). Music is so "meh" to me these days.

Thank god I like the stuff I write for the most part.

Do you guys ever ride down the road in your cars going to work or wherever and listen to your OWN music? Is this the height of conceit or am I normal for doing this?
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:50 pm

You guys are right... I'm not disagreeing. I just meant it's not the kind of music that makes you want to run home from highschool and form a band.. :idk: Or if they are, I don't know where they're hanging out either.

Reveal Sound Spire, which has too much overlap on all of my other analog emulating VSTs

I've been seeing that.. I had the demo for a bit and it reminded me too much of Z3tA+ or whatever. I had a hard time making it do anything really, but I think that's because both of those synths are "tuned" and they have a very narrow range of sound. Yoozer seemed to subtly pitch it as a virus alternative on GS, mentioning that it had Virus modeled filters.

Of course I like a bassier sound anyway. I'll stick with Dune and I like Tone 2. You'd be surprised how many of their modules are in big name synths.

The big names are still constant

Yea they are. No doubt about that. But what are people doing with them? Hardly anyone on forums either performs live or posts music.

I guess all in all i'm just saying I miss when people were active rather than leaving everything to armchair debates. That's just the one piece that seems missing and I don't know why. At one point it time it seemed like people were performing, making stuff and blogging / posting about it. I just don't know what happened to that.
MetroSonus

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:36 pm

I have always wondered something you touched on here:

Electronic bands, Y U NO PLAI YOUR INSTRUMENTS LIVE? Y U RUN TAPE?

This has always bothered me. I have often wanted to start an electro band JUST to outshine everyone else by actually playing keyboards on stage. I reckon, this is kinda a pet peeve of mine.

I *may* go see Velvet Acid Christ this November in New Orleans. I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll probably just be Bryan on stage with an Apple laptop over to the side playing preset tracks. I would be disappoint.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:59 pm

MetroSonus wrote:At one point it time it seemed like people were performing, making stuff and blogging / posting about it. I just don't know what happened to that.

The last complete track I did (released late June) was a spooky dark cinemambient piece. It might go on some sort of tiny netlabel spooky dark music compilation in October. This and other pieces have taught me the value of reflection, revision, and editing.

Friday night used to be band practice night, but since I no longer band, I instead jam at home. I have several "clips" on my Friday mini jams (mostly either whatever they call "New Age" music these days or orchestral) that I haven't released. Some are pretty good, and with some editing (or not) or extension (or not) could be good. Some, upon further reflection, suck. :lol: Could post a few of them here if there's interest. That's where I'm at these days.

selfinflikted wrote:Electronic bands, Y U NO PLAI YOUR INSTRUMENTS LIVE? Y U RUN TAPE?

I think it's a combination of densely layered DAW tracks need multiple keyboardists to reproduce right, and the fact that Keyboard Is Hardz and doesn't get The Chickz so there's less of them around to form bands with. Back in my day *shakes old fart fist*, that's why the ratio of keyboardists to guitarists in band ads was about 1:2 zillion.

Of course, guitar is Old Fart these days (insert South Park "real guitars are for old people" joke). But now that you don't have to buy vinyl to DJ (CDJ/Traktor/pirate your MP3s/etc.) and the computer can take care of persnickety things like "beatmatching", the people who want to get Chickz without much Skillz are DJs. So now, it's more like the ratio of keyboardists to DJs is about 1:2 zillion.

The last band I saw that had a lot of live keyboard was Ladytron, that was n years ago. I might be going to some music thingy headlined by Passion Pit and whatever you think about their music, they are one of the few mostly electronic bands I see that do seem to perform live (they have four in the band that keyboard). There's surprisingly few bands like that.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby selfinflikted » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Ladytron is awesome for playing live, agreed. They're music is only "ok" to me, but they DO play their instruments. Besides, they only want you when you're 17 - when you're 21 you're no fun.

Yes, it's hard to "beatmatch." Yes, keyboard is hard to play live and have it sound decent. Yes, there is effort involved. No, a live show won't and shouldn't sound just like the album version.

Still, I don't see what's wrong with playing live. I feel cheated if I go to a show and it's all done behind the curtains. Makes me see red.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby gregwar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:51 pm

I went to see this band and when they set up their lead singer chick had a nord g2 on stage, a few string players and a drummer.

I was pretty excited until she walked over to the side of the stage and hit 'play' on this laptop I didn't notice which most of the musicians in the band (including the drummer) just kind of bobbed their heads and tapped their toes but didn't play anything for 75% of their set :facepalm:

the vocals were pretty good but the g2 only made an appearance in like 2 songs

sadly I think that's par for the course with neo-classical, artsy fartsy stuff I've found on blogs like headphone commute

as a reaction to this kind of thing I got the Mac mini since laptops on stage kind of ruin it for me sometimes. I've been wanting to build a neko-like touchscreen keyboard for years that I can access the patches and play live as well as having some analog devices, fx loops, etc going at the same time
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:45 am

MetroSonus wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote: Not to mention I want a really good interface but can't seem to find one I can afford.

What are you going for? One of those rack jobs with tons of line ins?
I was happy with my MOTU 828 with 8 ins/outs. But it crapped out, & I'd like something a little better anyway. I don't like the idea of front jacks. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good used deal on any of the later multi MOTUs (Mk3) or Focusrites.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:
Drainage, drainage, drainage. If that's not good, nothing will stop the leakies.

I have no leakies, just high humidity.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:41 am

christianrock wrote:
Plink Floyd wrote:

I have no leakies, just high humidity.
Ah. I don't know about teh Land of Dixie, but here, a dehumidifier will fix that. And limiting the ingress of outside air.
Plink Floyd

Next

Return to The Hang Out.