I scored this weekend!

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

I scored this weekend!

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:27 pm

A very good friend who lives around the corner in the same neighborhood as me was over at my place a couple of weekends ago and we were listening to some 90's grunge music that I'd picked up from iTunes (Some obscure tracks that I was testing his 90's music knowledge with like "Jimmie's Chicken Shack." Who remembers them?). He commented that he has "tons" of CDs in travel cases at his house that he hasn't listened to in "forever." So he says to me, "Hey, Mike, you can just have all my cd's if you want them. Otherwise, I think I'm going to take them to Goodwill." Of course, I was more than happy to take them all off his hands.

So he got around to bringing the cd's over this past weekend. Literally, there are hundreds. The caveat is that they are all in horrible shape - scratched to hell and back, spots and blemishes all over. I thought to myself, "Great. These are pretty worthless." But I said screw it. I tossed one of the worst-looking ones into the old 'puter, opened up iTunes, and commenced to ripping. To my utter surprise, all the cd's I've tried to rip so far have worked flawlessly. I take back every bad thing I ever said about iTunes, because its software that rips cd's is apparently better than anything I've ever tried before. I normally use CDEX for ripping, but I will from now on use iTunes. This was the first time I've ever used iTunes for rippage, and I am now a believer.

So now I will be spending most of my free time in the foreseeable future ripping my new cache of cd's.

Off the top of my head, he had:

Most of NiN's entire discography
Tons of Hole, Soundgarden, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, The Who, Hendrix, Silverchair, Sponge, Alice in Chains, Rage Against the Machine.. TONS and TONS of great 90's stuff, really (with copious amounts of 60's, 70's, and 80's peppered throughout). A lot of his stuff I already had piecemeal, but now I have entire albums. Hundreds of them, in fact.

I has a happy. Now, brb. Listening to Slippery When Wet.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Re: I scored this weekend!

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Wow. Having been a bit too old for the "my generation" feeling of napster, yet used it anyway, I can say without out a doubt that complete, organized, properly tagged albums with art work is a huge luxury for me. Not to mention the simple fact of listening to an album. It's an amazing experience in the world of download singles. Especially for stuff you really like and appreciate.

Congrats ..!
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:39 pm

Yea, thanks! I'm still reeling from feeling like I won something. lol
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Result! :thu:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby ClavAnother » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Sounds like its almost as good as bit t*rrent
ClavAnother

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:15 pm

ClavAnother wrote:Sounds like its almost as good as bit t*rrent

Not even close. But I don't consider torrents an option ;)
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby christianrock » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Wow, that's pretty cool!
I love free stuff :D
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:27 am

MetroSonus wrote:Not to mention the simple fact of listening to an album. It's an amazing experience in the world of download singles.
Wow I haven't thought about that in years. New Album Day used to be an Event shared with friends. Three or four of us would each buy a different album or two (for which we had to drive to the record store in nine feet of snow uphill both ways whilst pushing the car barefooted) and then listen to them all in someone's basement. Good times.

-

Good Score, SI!
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Good Score, SI!

Indeed, it was!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:37 pm

I've got a zillion CDs sitting in boxes that I'm seriously doubting I'll ever listen to again. I'm just over it. :lol: Stuff like a big chunk of Sting's solo albums, Janet Jackson (don't judge me!), Smashmouth, Madonna... but I haven't the heart to chuck it all. So it all sits in boxes in a closet.

Meh.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:49 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:I've got a zillion CDs sitting in boxes that I'm seriously doubting I'll ever listen to again. I'm just over it. :lol: Stuff like a big chunk of Sting's solo albums, Janet Jackson (don't judge me!), Smashmouth, Madonna... but I haven't the heart to chuck it all. So it all sits in boxes in a closet.

Meh.

Perhaps you should send them to me. :idk:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ClavAnother » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:54 pm

ElectricPuppy wrote:Janet Jackson judge me!.

It's finally clear why you hadn't heard giant steps, so what, etc.

its going to be alright nao.
ClavAnother

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:22 am

Plink Floyd wrote:
MetroSonus wrote:Not to mention the simple fact of listening to an album. It's an amazing experience in the world of download singles.
Wow I haven't thought about that in years. New Album Day used to be an Event shared with friends. Three or four of us would each buy a different album or two (for which we had to drive to the record store in nine feet of snow uphill both ways whilst pushing the car barefooted) and then listen to them all in someone's basement. Good times.

-

Good Score, SI!

Listening to someone else's album is the same as modern day piracy.

Discuss.
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:10 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:Discuss.
As long as it's not a copy of someone else's album, it's OK. And just to be picky: I don't find anything saying it's a crime to own an unauthorized copy, only making one and then conveying it to another person. But there probably is a law about that...

Now, if you're a bar owner or some such, you have to pay blanket royalties to the record companies. Unless the juke box is leased, then the owner of it pays. Live venues also have to pay.

Here's what the RIAA says about it:

Copying CDs

- It’s okay to copy music onto an analog cassette, but not for commercial purposes.

- It’s also okay to copy music onto special Audio CD-R’s, mini-discs, and digital tapes (because royalties have been paid on them) – but, again, not for commercial purposes.

- Beyond that, there’s no legal "right" to copy the copyrighted music on a CD onto a CD-R. However, burning a copy of CD onto a CD-R, or transferring a copy onto your computer hard drive or your portable music player, won’t usually raise concerns so long as:
..... The copy is made from an authorized original CD that you legitimately own
..... The copy is just for your personal use. It’s not a personal use – in fact, it’s illegal to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying.

- The owners of copyrighted music have the right to use protection technology to allow or prevent copying.

- Remember, it’s never okay to sell or make commercial use of a copy that you make.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:45 am

Also, those of us with photographic memory, or auditorily hallucinogenic memory should just turn ourselves in.

Teh R!AA will prosecute anyone that recalls hearing music. The only safe person I know of is the chick who was a friend of a fiend that used to talk about a her favourite song; she didn't know what it was called or what it sounded like, but she really liked it!

-Rhid Occulous
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Working in education where copy right law is a hot topic, what it says, to the nth degree is that you have to have purchased your original copy, you have to keep your original copy and you are allowed to make successive copies for archival and back up purposes and obsolescence of format.

I think that trying to stay within the law here is nearly impossible. To stay within in it, you'd have to destroy your back up (or ripped) copies if you sold your CD to one of those used CD places. But still, transferring the CD is a huge gray area.

I'd just rather not think about it all :samsh:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:34 pm

Technically, can't you just "lend" your copied CD's to your friends for a very, very long time?
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:19 am

ClavAnother wrote:The only safe person I know of is the chick who was a friend of a fiend that used to talk about a her favourite song; she didn't know what it was called or what it sounded like, but she really liked it!
Oh hey I knew her! I can't remember her name or what she looked like but I really liked her.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:23 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:Technically, can't you just "lend" your copied CD's to your friends for a very, very long time?
I can't find the text of an actual copyright law or EULA that deals with it. If I could, it's probably tlwr. Sod bugger it.

So Why Not Weiner?

Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Plink Floyd wrote:Oh hey I knew her! I can't remember her name or what she looked like but I really liked her.

:facepalm:

:lol:
ClavAnother

Return to The Hang Out.