Serious Thread is Serious

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Serious Thread is Serious

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:22 pm

I took the day off yesterday and watched two Michael Moore films - Sicko, and Captalism - A Love Story.

Very interesting, both of them. Anyone seen them?
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ElectricPuppy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 pm

nope. Not avoiding specifically, just haven't bothered.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby selfinflikted » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:36 pm

I've seen sicko. It was pretty good, actually. But admittedly, I'm a Michael Moore fan, so I am probably biased.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:45 pm

I am too now. Only thing is, I can't be bothered researching to see how one-sided he is.
BonsoWonderDog

Postby selfinflikted » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:12 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:I am too now. Only thing is, I can't be bothered researching to see how one-sided he is.

Well, he definitely is one-sided. But if you fact check (I'm notorious for that), you will find he doesn't bend the truth nearly as much as you'd think.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:37 am

Good to know.
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:43 am

I saw Roger & Me back when. I'm afraid to watch any more of his movies, lest my comfy middle class complacency be disquieted.
Plink Floyd

Postby soundwave106 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:12 pm

He's an advocate, that's all.

On the Wiki summary, I think I'd agree with him way more on Sicko then Capitalism: A Love Story. For the later it sounds like he oversimplifies the complexities involved in the finance system.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby christianrock » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Does he mention anywhere that he is a multi-millionaire and has sued tons of people winning millions of dollars on those as well as on his films? Yes, capitalism, a love story :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:38 am

christianrock wrote:Does he mention anywhere that he is a multi-millionaire and has sued tons of people winning millions of dollars on those as well as on his films? Yes, capitalism, a love story :lol:

^ i was gonna mention this

i brought him up years ago at my friends place and his dad said pretty much that. no doubt he's a douche (there's a sweet clip where he's cranky coming off a plane and he tells his staff to get him a donut or muffin lol) not to mention the lawsuits, etc.

i've read that about orson scott card too (he's got some strong unpopular views in a column he writes) this is what pete vonder said in a review for ender's game:
Reconciling the fact that plenty of great art was created by people you wouldn't piss on if they were on fire is a tricky proposition.

its an extreme example but ya guys like kanye, polanski, baldwin, etc have these bad reputations or bad personalities, etc but still create content so its one of those things that can either totally turn you off of their stuff or not, up to each individual i guess

if you look at his actual points in his films tho he's not opposed to capitalism and he's trying to show some pretty grievous situations where rich companies lay off employees, people go bankrupt over health care bills, etc

he makes good docs, they don't suffer from that low budget-ness that plagues the genre (often not in a charming way) and the editing, camera work, colour, etc is usually pretty good

he does simplify complex real-life forces. he has the option of presenting a bunch of semi-related 'facts' and letting you make up your mind after trying to draw connections. instead he constructs a sort of 'narrative' or story for the audience follow which helps if you're not a polisci/econ nerd like me
gregwar

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:09 am

I hate to bother you guys with something like this, but I think my wife is cheating on me. I've been noticing strange things, like, her phone rings, and she steps outside to answer it, or she says, "I'll call you back later". When I ask her who called she gets evasive.

Sometimes she goes out with 'friends' but comes home late, getting dropped off around the corner and walking the rest of the way. I once picked up the extension while she was on the phone and she got very angry.

Last week, a buddy of mine who plays keyboards in a band called, asking to borrow my Leslie speaker cabinet. I felt like I had to talk to someone, so I told him of my suspicions. It made him uncomfortable, but he finally told me he'd seen my wife a few times with some guy at his gigs.

That's when I got this lame idea to find out for myself what was really happening. I said "Sure, you can use my Leslie, but I want to hide somewhere at your next gig and see if she shows up again". He agreed.

So last weekend I sunk as low as this: I lurked on stage behind my converted 710 > 770 to spy on my wife. I felt guilty, helpless and ridiculous all at the same time. Over an hour went by, and I was ready to give it up, when damned if I didn't see my wife walk into the club.

It was at that moment, crouching down behind my Leslie, that I realized that I had to face something really important that had been bugging me the whole time I'd been there: the bass sounded sort of wimpy. It just didn't have that ballsy "rrawwwerrrrraaawwerrr" sound that a Leslie should have. When I modded it I reused the original Hepner brand 15" woofer that came with the model 710. Do you guys think it would sound better with an EV or Jensen? Or should I just bite the bullet and replace the solid state amp with a toobular one?

I'm very concerned about this. Any advice would be appreciated.

And please forgive me for such Ape-foolery a day early, but I didn't figure I'd catch anyone if I waited for the official season to begin.

And furthermore, I basely plagiarized this story, barely changing a few details to suit our keycentric treehaus crowd. Whoever penned the original had the unfortunate cuckold as a guitar player hiding behind a Marshall amp. lol
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm

Too early for jokes. I thought you were being serious at first.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:33 pm

Dont jinx yourself man ... Years ago on a forum as a fools joke this girl (one of the "players" (nice person though) in the local scene) made a joke that she was thrown out by her husband and needed a place to stay fast. A year later thats exactly what happened.

don't mess wit da voo doo mahn.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby christianrock » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 pm

Serious Leslie mod is serious.

Thanks for reminding me that tomorrow is April 1st :lol:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:19 pm

Too early for jokes. I thought you were being serious at first.

It got me too, nice bait and switch from being worried about adultery to a bass light leslie. :lol:

I knew a lady once who committed adultery on a trip, then accidentally (I suspect on purpose) left a pack of condoms in her suitcase for her husband to find, and then kept playing this track to piss him off:

Actually that's not an April fools gag, it actually happened. :freak: Am glad I don't hang around with tw*ts like that anymore.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:20 am

Yeah, with hindsight I suppose that gag's not funny among friends. But when I read about that happening to some guy I didn't know, I lold @ teh punchline. So I apologize to anyone whom I rubbed wrongly. :cry:

And speaking of hindsight

NSFW: show

And for Teh ePuppy

NSFW: show
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:23 am

I remember seeing this at the time but can't quite recall which show it was now... perhaps Dead Like Me?

"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:26 pm

hnnnnng.jpg
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu May 01, 2014 3:12 am

Hey, are you dudes in the South doing OK?

Teh weather sems to be full of :eek: down there.
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu May 01, 2014 8:37 am

I also hope Mr. Puppy is safe from teh Califires raging about him. Probably so, since Teh Cucamonga is thirty or forty miles from him, which means it would take teh fire two or three days to drive to teh Dawg Haus.
Plink Floyd

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.