Serious Thread is Serious

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Serious Thread is Serious

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 am

I got a call Saturday afternoon informing me that one of my rental houses in a nearby town was at that time receiving the ministrations of the local fire brigade. Apparently the tenant experienced a grease fire while cooking. She quickly brought her fire extinguisher to bear, only to find it inoperative. She then (rightly, imo) grabbed her two kids, gtfo, and called the fire dept. Thankfully, no one was injured, but the house is probably a total loss. Also thankfully, I have all that sort of stuff fully insured.

Here's the srs part: even though I had insurance, she had none. Practically everything she owned is ruined, or at the very least badly smoked up and water soaked. My insurance only covers the structure, and liability for negligence on my part. What's worse, for her, is that it's very likely that my insurance company will go after her for causing the damage. I feel bad because I know she certainly can't afford it, but it's completely beyond my control. Even though the ins co won't get a nickel, they'll obtain a judgement against her that will prevent her getting a loan from any kind of reputable bank, finance co or even car dealer. She'll either have to pay for a long time, or consider bankruptcy. A sadly serious oversight.

So seriously: LOOK TO YOUR INSURANCE! Renters too! Renter's insurance is really cheap (at least here). It's not just to cover the replacement of few thousand dollars worth of your crap. It's also to cover potentially bankrupting surprises, like if one of your uninsured drunken asshat friends stumbles over your Showloflex & un-spleens himself. Or your hibachi burns through the floor & lands on your downstairs neighbor's homemade hydrogen moonshine fuel cell. Imagine being held liable for the cost of replacing a multi-unit apartment building.

:eek:

On a minor note, look also to your fire extinguishers. My tenant's unit, according to the label, hadn't been checked since '07, & one of the fire persons said it's common for them to 'feel' full but lose their propellant pressure after that much time. They aren't meant to last for years and years. Different types require different attention. Most local fire depts will check them for free and make the proper recommendations.

So do it. I'll admit mine are probably overdue.

Um... You do haz thems?

Rite?
Plink Floyd

Re: Serious Thread is Serious

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:08 am

I do not.

Can't the tenant go after YOU for not providing a working fire extinguisher?
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 am

Nope, that's not required of me. I provide smoke detectors and make sure they have fresh batts when needed, and I don't have to do that. I suppose I could be held negligent if someone was trapped because of inoperative doors or windows, but I look after that pretty diligently. And as long as my electrical work meets code, I'm good there too.

Now go get some extinguishers.
Plink Floyd

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:23 am

That sucks about your property, Plink. I feel sympathy for your tenant, but it's just dumb to not have renters insurance (or, any other insurance really). It's cheap, and can really save your ass. That's what happens when you don't act like an adult.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby MetroSonus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Yow that sucks. When I was younger, I just didn't want to pay for renters insurance and it was only like 20$ a month back in the 90's. Looking back, I'm glad nothing bad happened, but given college life, roommates and what ever, ANYTHING could have happened. I agree it's totally worth it..
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby selfinflikted » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:12 pm

I moved out of my last apartment a little more than 3 years ago. To insure all my stuff, including all my PC's and keyboards/guitars/etc etc was under $30 a month. There is no excuse for not having insurance.
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby Veracohr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:09 pm

I don't have an extinguisher in my apartment. If I needed one I'd have to go out my front door and down to the end of the balcony. I can only hope the management keeps that thing up to date.
Veracohr

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:43 pm

I think I'll get one. Good idea.

Tomorrow.
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Veracohr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 am

By surprising coincidence shortly after reading this thread I found an email in my box from my car insurance company, advertising renter's insurance. I could get it as low as $11 more per month added to my current auto insurance. :thu:
Veracohr

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:05 am

Serious thread is serious. Sorry to hear about your lost property, Plink, and doubly sorry for the tenant.

But thank you for reminding me that I need to get a couple of extinguishers. I haz none.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:39 am

Thanks for the kind commiseries, fellows. But it's not really much of a material setback to me. It just adds another dollop to the old PITA pile.

I wouldn't have mentioned it but for the example of the unfortunate renter. I just thought it might save someone else from the same mistakes. I know I didn't think of such things in my first few years of independence, yet it was during those times when I most assuredly needed some safety netting lol.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 pm

BonsoWonderDog wrote:I think I'll get one. Good idea.

Tomorrow.

+1
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:29 am

I didn't.

But I will.

Tomorrow.
BonsoWonderDog

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:19 am

:cry:
Last edited by ClavAnother on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClavAnother

Postby MetroSonus » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:33 am

:confuse:
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Postby ClavAnother » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:37 am

srs
ClavAnother

Postby ElectricPuppy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:17 am

Srs? That's horrible. Are you OK?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 am

I might get a dinky extinguisher now too.

A friend I had way back lived for a while in some flats in a really dodgy part of Hull (well all of Hull is dodgy but some parts are dodgier) and she got this powder extinguisher so that if anyone broke in while she was home she could spray it in their face... dunno what that stuff does to a person although I suspect it's going to be ugly and at best involve a lot of choking and blindness, well that and if they were still standing the cylinder would double as a bludgeoning tool.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Clav: Crazy people are crazy.

-

I don't think extinguisher stuff is more than mildly irritating. Pepper spray would be much more effective and far more handy.
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm

I'm pretty sure pepper spray is illegal to own in my juristiction.
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Next

Return to The Hang Out.