The Banned Man

Re: The Soundproofing booth thread.

Postby BonsoWonderDog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:27 am

What's wrong with using that foam, CR?
DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
BonsoWonderDog

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:27 am

christianrock wrote:I really would if my basement had a closet.

My closet is kind of echoic.

Would bass traps help?
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:54 am

Needs more chandelier. You know, for diffusion.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:13 am

But... I ain't got de Fusion. CR had de Fusion, but he doan no mo.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:21 am

lol I KNEW I could squeeze a Fusion pun out of you with that! HA
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 am

ElectricPuppy wrote:lol I KNEW I could squeeze a Fusion pun out of you with that! HA

Oh great. Now I feel totally manipulitatered.

:mad:
Plink Floyd

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01 am

BonsoWonderDog wrote:What's wrong with using that foam, CR?
I'm not a real CR, but I sometimes play one on the internets. But the following may be entirely unsympathetic with the real CR's opinion.

Imo, there's nothing wrong with that foam except paying for it. The Brand Name Foam is way overhyped/overpriced. If you want to use foam, it is free of charge from your nearest dumpster depot. I don't even keep any other color except black anymore, since I have a great hulking stack of if sitting in the corner unused as of yet.

Now haz some lynx:

Blankets for cheaps

Goodwill curtains are also a good idea.

I'll put this extremely detailed chart of Noise Reduction Coefficients for different insulations here because it's totally handy. Like, if you're trying to locally source rigid figerglass but you can't find the famous OC703, you can call your local furnace supply company with that list & find out what brand they do carry.

And this is interesting: a quick perusal of the chart reveals that the performance of ordinary 6" thick (R19) unfaced fiberglass batts on the wall (cheep!) almost equals that of 4" OC703 (significantly more expensive), except in the very low freq. realm. Now mind, that's exposed batts against a wall, not installed behind wallboard.

So, I'm thinking about my own future tracking room here, but dig: Why couldn't I build the enclosing walls with wallboard on the outside of 6" studs/R19 batts, then cover the inside surface with tie-dyed burlap or something. Bung in a few bass traps, and my uncle would be Roberto, rite?
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:42 pm

BonsoWonderDog wrote:What's wrong with using that foam, CR?

Foam does nothing to avoid standing waves or to keep low frequencies in check. It's basically a low pass filter, not acoustic treatment. Snake oil.

Or, what Plinky said :grin:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:39 pm

but who sings at 50 cycles???? I've never has iso-booth issues with standing waves.

Anyway, here are some pics as requested. I will try to do a detailed tour of my studio in the studio thread when I get a chance, even though I know you guys will try to burn me for having to much gears...

So to begin with, here is the front door (or side door number 1):

Once inside we see a Leslie tucked under the stairs:

Also we have teh kitteh:

Here is a view of the unfinished ceiling... I guess I sorta gave up and wanted to start making chunes instead of finish the booth. Haven't had any issues; it probably helps.

And this is the back door (or side door number 2):
I just threw a bunch of polyfoam padding on it until I ran out. Just so you know, that door has small window panes on the top half, and one of them is missing... the door leads to the utility third of the basement, and I had never had a problem with the furnace or water pipes... *ahem* leaking onto tracks :) If I'm doing laundry and want to record, then I just, you know, turn off the laundry machine until I'm done :wink:

I don't think it's necessary to try making it sound proof, just using carpet is enough. As you can see, I use the booth to track guitar and drums, or organ and drums, and while there is a bit of bleed on the drum tracks (I use around 9 mics on the kit) its never been an issue. I think I hung the carpet with drywall screws.

I really liked some of those simple vocal booth pics CR posted earlier, but the main thing for me is the ability to do 'First Trackers' along with the drums. As a vocal booth, this thing is more than I could ask for.

More later.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Fantastic booth :thu:

It might not look slutty as you say, but it really looks like it gets the job done. That insulation on the ceiling takes care of all the bass. The carpet probably does a fine job as well. Not to mention the L-shape also helps, no standing waves with those kind of shapes. Nice stuff. I would love to have a booth like that, seriously :thu:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:33 am

Cool cellar, bro!

Is that where you always record the Leslie? I always thought they sounded best out in the center of the room, but your organic tracks always sound every bit as good as what I hear on big name albums.

Basements have pros & cons, eh? Very quiet with respect to traffic, birds, family members watching tv & stuff like that, but then there's the furnace, water heater, water pipes...

I located my studio corner as far away as possible from the aforementioned basementy things. Not even any terlets above or near. But it's at the end of the house where the outside AC compressor sits. That noise is much more noticeable than I thought it would be.

But I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace the AC system at the end of this summer; there's a slow freon leak someplace that I can't find. It's the evil, eco-destroying R22 kind of system, so I might just as well change it all out for the newer, non-criminal Freon system. So I'll pay attention to sound levels when I'm shopping for a new compressor.
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:26 am

I only use that Leslie sometimes. I typically use it for songs that were written on the organ and needed to have the organ track go down with the drums for First Trackers™. Many songs get recorded with drums and guitar first and the organ is an overdub with the 122 that is out in the live room. Also there have been cases where we track without headphones and just play in the live room and use mic placement techniques to reduce bleed through. In fact many of the last recordings went down with drums and guitar in the same room, but the way I mic guitar these days there is less than 1% drum bleed on the guitar track, but more guitar on the drum tracks. It still sounds great, and really depends on what I'm going for at the time.

IMO my basement is full of pros, the cons are things like: I have a Hammond in the basement... stairs are certainly not the funnest environment to transport them through.

I don't have issues with utility stuff.

I will do a more thorough tour of the studio some time soon, I just don't like people to think I'm a braggart. Most of my friends get by just fine with much less. I just do what works for me.
ClavAnother

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:56 am

You know Plinky, I pretty much only close mic the Leslie, and besides I use one mic on top, and one on the bottom, so I don't think it matters if I use the cab in the room or not.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:40 pm

ClavAnother wrote:I will do a more thorough tour of the studio some time soon, I just don't like people to think I'm a braggart. Most of my friends get by just fine with much less. I just do what works for me.

I don't think any of us here has any issues with seeing someone who has a lot of cool stuff and makes great music and great recordings with it :thu:

Plus it's not like you have a super snobby place. Everything is what I'd call blue collar chique - an environment that probably looks like what a lot of studios looked like in the 60s and 70s, when things to me just had more feeling and character to it. Long live the carpeted walls and the exposed fiberglass on the ceiling. :jam:
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 pm

:cool:
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:22 pm

So. I was talking to my wife and I think I"m going to have to give up my studio space so the kids can have a larger playroom. It's annoying when we have friends over and their playroom (a bedroom) becomes a bit too small for them to play.

So my studio will move to the unfinished part of the basement, right next to the heater and the AC unit. I could use the bedroom that they were using today as playroom, but I think the basement would let me do stuff when the kids are sleeping, the bedroom would kill that option.

Ok, so there are some problems. Besides the AC/Heater, all the water pipes run right on top of that area (the boiler is also there). So, I have new challenges about how I'm going to turn it into a space where I can record vocals and guitars... but the fact that it's unfinished lets me have the freedom to put mattresses and carpets and blankets wherever I want - who cares what it ends up looking like :) All my bookshelves will have to move in there as well. Another challenge is that the area behind the "under stairs" entrance has to be free with good access - that's basically our tornado shelter... it gets used every couple weeks this time of the year, when the tornado sirens sound.

The area I really want is the one that has a window - by that X in the pic. It's not a good window (it's underneath the deck) but at least it's SOME natural light. Problem is, there's a door right there, and I can't just keep it shut all the time due to humidity issues that would arise with that.

I can put all the crap that's in there right now in the storage area. It'll be a bit crammed but I know I can make that work.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Previous

Return to The Hang Out.