The Soundproofing booth thread.

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

The Soundproofing booth thread.

Postby christianrock » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:38 pm

So.

Now that I have a great microphone and another one on the way... I'll need to build me a little sound booth for recording vocals, guitar and bass.

I'm thinking a simple wood frame covered with moving blankets would be sufficient. There are 80" by 72" blankets that they sell. What say ye?

Some people use PVC but I'm thinking wood would let me nail the blankets on 3 sides which would make it more sound proof (no gaps).

Here's the PVC idea:

These pads should be thick enough:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moving-Blankets ... 3a74d702c5
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: The Soundproofing booth thread.

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:39 am

Ehh, I dunno... I don't think blankets will soundproof an enclosure very well. I suspect they will block some of the highs but let everything else in.

It might be time better spent to acoustify your recording room, then see how mic recording sounds in there. Maybe then you'd only need on of those reflection damping doo-dads.

You could set it on your paint cans.
Plink Floyd

Postby gregwar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:11 am

I've heard of people using mattresses ??

I think heavy moving blankets will help but I'm not totally sure.

there's got to be a material that isn't hundreds or thousands of dollars that will mimick the aurolex or whatever foam I've seen in super serious (tm) vocal booths

the goal is to make it super weird and creepy so it sounds like your talking from your chest
gregwar

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:22 am

Pvc pipe is surprisingly flexible, so unless you want Super Wobble Booth, I'd go with wood.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:11 am

The physics of absorbing sound: mechanical energy converted into heat. That's what happens when sound waves encounter Auralex, packing foam, curtains/blankets/couches/carpet or bass traps. The more mass, the more conversion that occurs, which is why bass traps (big hunks of heavy fiberglass) can suck up moar sound energy than curtains or thin foam.

But room treatment and soundproofing aren't the same thing. You can soundproof a space from outside noices and still have a crappy sounding room because of modes and/or untamed reflections.

Some pundits maintain that rooms smaller than 10 or 12 feet don't really have modes and should simply be treated with total anechoic dryness as the goal. They say, under such conditions, that it's better to accept the dead sound and add effects in post (reverb or ambiance) to taste.

Or wutz slutz coconutz?
Plink Floyd

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 am

I think that might be lacking somewhat in the WAF department, although I will say that if that is a pillory behind it then I approve of that part.

Go with Super Wobble Booth. :lol: At least if it isn;t good for vocals it will be entertaining. :lol:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:44 am

I predict CR will be the father of a new musical genre: Super Wobble Pop!™

DROP THE BRACE!
Plink Floyd

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:32 am

You don't need to be extreme, and you don't need to have it 100%. Just blackout most of the reflections and your tracks will sound wonderful. I have carpet in my booth, and one entire wall is a sliding glass door like for your deck and my vocal tracks are superb. I bet you could hang one blanket in front of you and get great results, as long as you can keep the kids quiet.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Purity_Control wrote:Go with Super Wobble Booth. :lol: At least if it isn;t good for vocals it will be entertaining. :lol:

That's the spirit :lol:

ClavAnother wrote:You don't need to be extreme, and you don't need to have it 100%. Just blackout most of the reflections and your tracks will sound wonderful. I have carpet in my booth, and one entire wall is a sliding glass door like for your deck and my vocal tracks are superb. I bet you could hang one blanket in front of you and get great results, as long as you can keep the kids quiet.

Thank you, thank you. That's what I'm going for. The most important, I think, is that the vocal frequencies come through. So I don't need to block every frequency, like really low bass which is the objective of the bass traps. I'll have a high pass on all the time anyway, so who cares about those frequencies - which in my room, are not really a problem anyway. I did my entire album without any sound blocking, but the AKG I used to use didn't pick up as much as this chinese mic - and my main concern is the AC unit in the room next to the studio (my basement is basically two big rooms), and the water pipes which do run right above the studio. If I can block most of that sound, and the eventual loud vehicles, I should be good.

I'm now thinking of just trolling the trift stores, and get some blankets or rugs from there. I do have a couple thick rugs but they'd be too heavy...

Another option is to go with the moving blankets as originally planned, and add a wood panel layer on 3 sides and the top, and then just nail the blanket to it.

It is said, by the way, that every movie score producer in Hollywood has those carpets and that's been their preferred sound treatment on the fly for many, many years now.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Hey Clav, would you mind sharing pics of your booth? Did you build it?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ClavAnother » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:08 pm

I'll give you the low down on my booth later when I have more time, an ill post pics.

I also have a friend that gets great results with four 4x6 rugs. He attached each one to a 1"dowel or something at one end, then he put up some large screw in hooks on the ceiling and he hangs them for vocals tracks, and takes them down afterwards.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Yeah I read about those "hanging vocal booths". I like that idea.

I'm also reading that one of the most effective sound treatments is a duvet. And it really works. I might look for duvets in thrift stores, if I can get a couple for 10 bucks, which I think is entirely possible, I might buy them.

My studio has a big couch and lots of shelves. A couple big ones filled with books. Plus carpet on the floor and that basement type hollow ceiling treatment (I think it helps a lot). I really, honestly don't hear bass reflections. So most of the treatment might already be done. I just need to try and avoid ruining a vocal take when my neighboor rides his Harley, or when someone turns on a faucet.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Here's something similar to my original idea - the wood frame and the moving blankets. I thought about going all the way and closing all 4 sides, and nailing so it would kinda look like "blanket walls". Since they are blankets, entry would be easy, one side would just be hanging.

Some interesting vocal booths:

This one uses the infamous OC703 in the form of panels. I like this, but buying all these panels would probably cost a couple hundred bucks.

LOLFOAM... this is what I'm NOT doing.

This looks kinda interesting, I wonder what material was used.

This also looks pretty interesting. I wonder how much it would cost. Without the foam, obviously.

Maybe THIS is what I need to do :lol:

LOL but I bet it works

WOBBLE BOOTH TIEM

anyone wanna dare guess what this is made of?

AND THIS IS TEH WINNAR

Seriously, I can probably have access to old mattresses, I wonder if a "mattress wall" booth, somehow tied together, with a duvet on top, would work well?
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Purity_Control » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:05 pm

anyone wanna dare guess what this is made of?

I hope his toilet still flushes. :lol: :freak:

How about a tardis booth? :love:
"To be honest with you, I just assumed it was another symptom of Taren Capel being as mad as a bicycle."
Purity_Control
Ms. Conduct

Postby christianrock » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Purity_Control wrote:How about a tardis booth? :love:

Now that would totally rock!

So of course I google it and... someone's already thought of it.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:48 pm

I think the closet is the best idea, CR. I know that if I walk into my closet, it sounds pretty dead. Try that first if you can, it won't cost you anything.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:06 pm

I really would if my basement had a closet.

Back in 2002 I recorded a CD and I put the guitar amp in the bathroom. I'm telling ya, I got great sounds out of it. Back then I was single, of course, so the studio was in the main bedroom and I slept in another room.

I do have a bit of space to play with, so I wonder if I can get the mattresses thing to work.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:34 pm

d00d build a fort ! lol
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:52 pm

LOLOLOL

Who know, maybe I'll end up with this

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby MetroSonus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:07 am

Ahhhhh yea the fort post has been made. Finally. I was gonna do it... seriously.
MetroSonus
My style, is the best style.

Next

Return to The Hang Out.