Microphones/Preamps/Compressors

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Re: Microphones/Preamps/Compressors

Postby christianrock » Tue May 21, 2013 5:48 pm

So I found a german-designed condenser microphone that is made in China and is really really cheap for what it does. It's so cheap in fact that I might get their ribbon mic as well, to record electric guitars, or a smaller condenser they make, that is also extremely good on guitars. WIMA caps and a really good design. With the shock mount and shipping it will still be less than 200 bucks.

There's a small studio here in GA that buys like 5 or 10 at a time and sells them on Ebay, but I can also buy them directly from Germany.

Are there import fees if I buy a 129 dollar mic from Germany??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MC-900-Studio-P ... 43bc035ff4

I *think* that these mics are based on what Michael Joly was designing with a chinese company to sell in the US. The deal must have fallen through. But the 3mm capsule seems similar to his design, as well as the caps and transformer (or transformerless) designs. From the demos of both the MC-520 and MC-900 it seems like they're extremely clear without being sibilant.

See this page: http://en.audiofanzine.com/condenser-mi ... ias/audio/ and click on the Test (3) on both the MC-900 and the Rode NT1 (a pretty decent mic). The Rode is much more sibilant.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Tue May 21, 2013 6:39 pm

And apparently SMPRO tube preamps/compressors are very very decent, especially considering they're even cheaper than the ART stuff. About same quality from what I can tell. High voltage on the tubes, optical compressors, simple design. I'm looking at the TC02 2-channel. 180 new, sells used for less than 100.

.............and now Guitar Center called me back and the FMR compressor does have its power supply.

So......... ART preamp + FMR compressor does seem higher quality than the SMPRO stuff.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Tue May 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Ok bitchez.

Bought the FMR preamp.

Also, there's an ART MPA II on Ebay that hopefully I'll be the buyer. The auction ends in a couple of days.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Sweet!
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:28 pm

It can be tiem to buy gear toys again?? SHWEEEET
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby Plink Floyd » Wed May 22, 2013 3:54 am

christianrock wrote:Also, there's an ART MPA II on Ebay that hopefully I'll be the buyer. The auction ends in a couple of days.
Cool. Seems like Purity had one of those. Or maybe it was the dual compressor thingy.

If you don't win teh auction...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-ART-PRO-MPA-II-2-CHAN-MIC-PREAMP-108796803-i3090344.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-ART-PRO-MPA-II-TUBE-MICROPHONE-AMPLIFIER-108476758-i2858732.gc
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Wed May 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Yeah they go for cheaper on Ebay though, usually 150-170. New ones go for 239. Considering GC charges tax, I'll keep trolling Ebay for that one.

It's funny cuz GC does have the Pro Channel for 149 used at a couple stores, and that one's more expensive new. Go figure :idk:

I think today I'll have one or two mics ordered.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed May 22, 2013 5:15 pm

OH BOY there's an Avantone CV-12 on Ebay for 380 shipped.

I think I can swing that. The MC-900 is a different kind of animal and might be just as good, but it's much more unknown, while the CV-12 has tons of reviews...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Thu May 23, 2013 5:39 am

christianrock wrote:Yeah they go for cheaper on Ebay though, usually 150-170. New ones go for 239. Considering GC charges tax, I'll keep trolling Ebay for that one.

It's funny cuz GC does have the Pro Channel for 149 used at a couple stores, and that one's more expensive new. Go figure :idk:
Their used prices wander all over the place. It must be left mostly to the disgestion of the local store. Which probably depends mostly on how much they had to pay. I've never sold/traded anything to GC, but they probably allow more on incoming gear if it's being applied towards a new purchase.

Did you buy teh RNC new or used? Your reports are unclear on that point. Let's work on that, shall we?

Yeah, that'd be great.
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Thu May 23, 2013 12:25 pm

I bought that used one that you showed me :)

118 and change once tax and shipping were included.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Thu May 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Bah humbug. Over an hour to go and I've been outbid in the my maximum for the ART Pro Mpa II. There's a thread going on at GS right now (in the Low End forum) about how great these are. So I don't think I'll fight back on that one. This'll give me time to see if that's really what I want...

I'm thinking of selling one of my guitar cabs and then I should be able to get the tube mic and the FMR preamp.

Another option is to get just one channel and get the GAP 73 (Neve clone). There's also the Focusrite ISA One, apparently it's a good One (in a funny shape). Hmmmmmmm
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 23, 2013 8:53 pm

These are not synths. \.:mad:.?
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu May 23, 2013 9:35 pm

That's why it's in the Hangout forum :lol:

Yeah I knew that GS thread would make this go for silly money. 222 + 30 dollars shipping = 252 dollars. I've seen brand new ones (open box) go for 239 with free shipping :giantfacepalm:

That's why I love our little known forum. I can talk about stuff without raising prices.

christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Thu May 23, 2013 9:43 pm

durr

evil bay givith & evil bay taketh away

is there a way to add an insert to the pres on the yammi ? or you could record teh vocals dry then process them after (also good if you want to change comp settings later or do teh remix)

whatever mic u get will prolly be better than an sm58. I've always had one kicking around for when we don't want to borrow or rent a better mic

if anyone is interested in mic DIY this is a good place to start:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?PHPSE ... e5lvurpe1&
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Tue May 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Ok so I got the ART Pro MPA Series II Reference preamp. It's better than the one I didn't win on Ebay last week for over 250 dollars with shipping. It's got a matched pair of 7025 tubes and some cosmetic changes. Plus, it's new with a warranty!
I was all day considering the Golden Age Project Pre-73. But when Musicians Friend dropped the price for the day from 399 to 199 (w/free shipping) I could not resist. I do like the ART stuff from the demos I have heard. I had the Tube MPA before and while it didn't get much use due to its starved plate design (my DBA 586 was better). But this has a high plate voltage design so it's a totally different animal. I'm pretty happy.

So if anyone needs a preamp, the 200 dollar off deal is a pretty good deal, I think.

GC/MF has been getting my business lately. And now I have 350 left to spend on mics, but I think I'ma sell one of my guitar cabs for a couple hundred bucks to get me 2 good mics - one tube, one FET.

Edit: the price's actually 169 dollars with the 15% off over 199 deal that is going on for Memorial Day. YAY. Helluva deal for something that usually sells for 399 :) That puts my mic budget up to 380 now :)
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby gregwar » Tue May 28, 2013 8:27 pm

nice congrats !!1
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Tue May 28, 2013 8:33 pm

It seems like the mpa pro is the most "high end sounding" budget preamp out there.

I still might get a golden age pre 73 in the future to use on acoustic guitar because it's gorgeous for that...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 pm

Oh and I know preamps bore most people here to death. But if anyone's interested in them, this article should bring some lulz.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec12/a ... esults.htm

I honestly think that multi-thousand dollar preamps are the new snake oil.

This says it all:

The Sound Files: Key & Readers’ Ratings

Round 1: Brauner mics Preamp Average rating Number of first places Subjective comments
A ART Pro MPA II 7.5 5 Smooth tubey top end, neutral and rich, especially roasty, more warmth and body
B AMS Neve 1073LB 3.4 1 Classy vintage sound, too strident in mid-range, veiled top end, rich mids and lows, brittle, sounded grainy
C API 3124+ 2.875 0 Vague, dreamy, a touch boxy, slightly harsh mid-range, disliked, clean but smooth, strident
D Mackie VLZ Pro 6.8 2 Not much character, big bottom end
E SSL XLogic VHD Pre 6.45 4 Clean, accurate, neutral, more transparent, warm lows, more depth and evenness, brittle, less solid, little dull, most information and naturalness
F GP Electronics PML200E 4.2 1 Dark, slightly plasticky, close and intimate
G Maselec MMA-4XR 6.4 2 Clean, accurate and neutral, muffled top end, slightly distant, smooth character, sharper transients
H Prism Sound Orpheus 6 4 Sounds more stereo, zingy, closed in, veiled or murky, prominent low end, smooth character, more clarity and separation, smooth without sounding dull, disliked and would avoid

Round 2: Sennheiser MKH20s Preamp Average rating Number of first places Subjective comments
A GP Electronics PML200E 5 2 No particular sound, warm clean and detailed, on the dull side, probably transformerless
B ART Pro MPA II 7.4 3 Intimate, can hear further in, more depth and ambience, sounds more musical and dynamic (same preamp as Brauner A and Royer D?), most information and naturalness
C Maselec MMA-4XR 3.5 1 Slightly hard mid-range, Mackie/ART?, slightly dull
D AMS Neve 1073LB 5 1 Neutral, natural, rich quality
E SSL XLogic VHD Pre 5.5 1 Intimate, great clarity, nothing objectionable
F Prism Sound Orpheus 7 1 Warm, close and detailed, best overall balance, slightly dull
G Mackie VLZ Pro 5.6 0 Warm and intimate, detailed, ART/Mackie?, sharp in the mids, probably transformerless
H API 3124+ 5.5 1 Rich mids, nice frequency balance, not as detailed, possibly Mackie?

Round 3: Royer SF12 Preamp Average rating Number of first places Subjective comments
A Mackie VLZ Pro 3.8 0 Less detailed, slight edge, not as detailed, slightly dull, Neve/API?
B Maselec MMA-4XR 3.5 0 Shrill top notes, slightly dull, bad!
C Prism Sound Orpheus 6.75 2 Warmer bottom end, delicacy, nicest so far, very accurate and fast, deep and tight lows, neutral, Maselec?
D SSL XLogic VHD Pre 6.57 3 Delicate, intimate, richness, more detail, least natural (same preamp as Brauner A and MKH B?), delicate, precise, detailed and warm
E API 3124+ 3.75 1 Less detailed, slightly dull, nice colour, valve preamp?
F GP Electronics PML200E 5.6 1 Detailed yet neutral, mid-range richness, slight edge, slightly dull
G AMS Neve 1073LB 6.4 3 Less detailed, slight edge, clearer, bright and clean with more dynamics, Neve/API?
H ART Pro MPA II 5.6 2 Shrill and slightly harsh, bright clear and dynamic
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Fri May 31, 2013 5:09 pm

SO MANY MICROPHONES TO CHOOSE FROM
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Ok, so I got me two Carvin CTM100 tube LDC (large diaphragm condenser) microphones. It should be great to have a stereo pair of condensers for the first time in my life. At their current prices, these Carvins seem unbeatable. And they are basically the same mic as the Apex 460 and Nady 1150, which are the most modified microphones there are. There's a ton of mods I can do to them later if I want to.

Now I think I"m kinda running out of excuses not to get stuff done. I'll have all that I need :thu:

ImageImage
christianrock
has a runny bottom

PreviousNext

Return to The Hang Out.