Microphones/Preamps/Compressors

Kick back and relax!

Moderators: MetroSonus, Plink Floyd

Microphones/Preamps/Compressors

Postby christianrock » Tue May 07, 2013 10:28 pm

So, I've been thinking about getting a new microphone.

But this page and its sound examples make me think that I can get a lot of life out of my Sennheiser 441 (the page sound tests are a 421 - the 441 is better I think). So instead of investing in a new mic I'm thinking of a preamp/compressor combo or a channel strip.

The one pair that was used in that page seems pretty nice - but the compressor + preamp (RNP and RNC) adds up to about 550 used on Ebay - 600 when you consider shipping. There's an even nicer combination of the RNC with the newer better PBC-6A compressor - getting both would cost around 800 dollars in the used market. Pro sound though!

There's a Trident 4T channel strip on sale locally for 400. That's in my price range. I wonder if it would be as good as the FMR stuff though, it's hard to find info on the Trident.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Re: Microphones/Preamps/Compressors

Postby christianrock » Thu May 09, 2013 1:16 pm

I guess imma have to ask the slutz... you guys probably don't do vocals...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby selfinflikted » Thu May 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Sorry I'm no help here man. I don't know much about recording vox at all. :idk:
selfinflikted
Down in it

Postby soundwave106 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:47 pm

I record some vocals occasionally, but I'm pretty basic basic... definitely not Gearslutty. Just a basic Electro-Voice N/D767a through the Fireface 800's preamps (with optional routing via the Fireface through an FX chain of a Lexicon MPX-1 and RNC/RNLP combo, like I can do for everything else).

I have not tried the RNP, channel strips, other compressors, etc. I have a few software plugins (Izotope Nectar, Cytomic The Glue) that are pretty nice on vocals.
BC | SC
soundwave106

Postby ClavAnother » Thu May 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Lol slutzes. If you don't tell them you are getting a u87, they'll rip you apart.

Anyway, I have been using the akg c3000b for vocals since 2004. I think it's great. I hear other people talk shit about it, but my experience had always been great. You can get a used one for $100-$150.
ClavAnother

Postby christianrock » Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 pm

There's some slutz that you find sometimes, that make the site worth it. This one guy Fletcher (who I believe is not shitting when he says he is actually a pro producer) is making me think the FMR stuff is the way to go. I like how in one post he debunked the whole slutz snobby attitude.
I saw the stuff he's sold in the classifieds section and it does seem he knows his stuff.

Anyway - In the demo I posted in the first post I really like what the FMR chain did to the vocal - it sure doesn't seem the same mic recorded the two tracks into the same interface, but that's what it is.

Also, I contacted the guy about the Trident through IMs like he requested in his post and he has a huge attitude problem, so I'm dropping that option for now. I think FMR it is. At least for the compression side. For the preamp side, I might go for the ART MPA Gold.

MY VOCALZES WILL SOUND SPLENDOROUS
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 09, 2013 9:49 pm

The last vocal I recorded was around 1987, and I *think* it was with an AKG of some sort. :grin: It was big, and it hung on a boom. That's all I remember.

So yeah, I'm going to be a huge help here.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby christianrock » Thu May 09, 2013 10:00 pm

But you have a cool new avatar, so you get a pass. You may go around the velvet rope and come into this party, sir.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby ElectricPuppy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:06 pm

I would like to say that this pleases me, but... well, you know. Avatar says, "no."
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Postby ClavAnother » Thu May 09, 2013 10:10 pm

^^^dude.. :thu:
ClavAnother

Postby Veracohr » Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 pm

christianrock wrote:There's some slutz that you find sometimes, that make the site worth it. This one guy Fletcher (who I believe is not shitting when he says he is actually a pro producer) is making me think the FMR stuff is the way to go. I like how in one post he debunked the whole slutz snobby attitude.

Yes, Fletcher knows his stuff. I don't know what he does as far as producing, but he runs Mercenary Audio. He was an early proponent of FMR Audio, and you know he has to love their stuff because it's way cheaper than most of the other gear he sells. The only thing I've ever bought from Mercenary was a RNC. They gave me a free T-shirt once, so I bought the only thing on the site I could afford.

Edit: I guess Fletcher doesn't own Mercenary anymore. But he used to.
Veracohr

Postby gregwar » Sat May 11, 2013 12:37 am

I've heard good things about the really nice line but so far haven't used any of it

when we wanted a lot of outboard we would go to a big studio. the rates can be surprisingly affordable (compared to laying out 10s of thousands)

when I track vocals I always go straight into the audio interface pres. other than stability, ad/da converter quality the pres are super important IMO

the apogee ensemble pres were amazing but I have yet to test the uad Apollo ones

I like to get an extremely clean, full sound then do any coloration with plug-ins in the box, where they can also be undone (as opposed to a chain going in)

eq'ing makes all the difference. I use bit crushers, tape sims & compressors a lot of times to colour the sound but also as eqs

proper eq'ing & decent pres on an interface can make a mediocre sound, cheap mic, etc really amazing. what it can't fix is a crappy performance

my philosophy on editing vocals is that it has to sound natural. I'd rather do more takes than edit individual syllables. but in the end even if its a franken-chopped verse it has to sound like 1 take and totally natural

tl;dr
good performance, good audio interface pre, less editing, less quality mic, good eq'ing in the box can sound great
gregwar

Postby christianrock » Mon May 13, 2013 3:15 pm

The pres and converters on my Steinberg are supposed to be top notch, and they do sound pretty awesome to me.

But I haven't really been 100% satisfied with VST compression yet. So my main thing is I want a good, decent hardware compressor. Initially the plan was a dbx 160. Now it's the FMR RNC.
The preamp is a necessity - can't perform on a compressor without a preamp.

I'm sure that for a lot of stuff I'll still be going straight to the interface...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Fri May 17, 2013 9:18 am

$99.99 - USED FMR AUDIO RNC1773 COMPRESSOR

Item # 108849843

Guitar Center Concord
Concord, California 94520
925-363-7770

BUY EEEEEET!!!
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Fri May 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Here's the problem with Guitar Center, from reviews I have seen.

When there is an external power supply, they don't care. Somehow they either don't ask for it or they're just happy to sell stuff without it.

So since the pic doesn't show the power supply I assume they don't have it and I'd have to buy it separately.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Sat May 18, 2013 1:13 am

Nu-uh, it's legit. Thuddy daze moneyback no questions axed.

So, call them and ASK TEH HUMAN if the PS is included. But I becha it's already sold.

:sadvisage:
Plink Floyd

Postby christianrock » Mon May 20, 2013 1:39 pm

The human isn't ever even in the same city as the stuff they are selling.

But I gotta buy the mic first and then see how much moolah is left, if any, for a preamp/compressor. If none, I'll use my interface for preamps and software for compression... :cry:

I haz a tight budget.
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby christianrock » Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm getting close to using my budget on a Stellar CM-5. I'd have about a couple hundred dollars left, and that's not enough for a preamp and a compressor - unless I get an ART pro channel.
That's sounding like a plan...
christianrock
has a runny bottom

Postby Plink Floyd » Tue May 21, 2013 4:44 am

christianrock wrote:The human isn't ever even in the same city as the stuff they are selling.
:confuse: Sure he is. You call the actual store where the gizmo is located and talk to the actual grunt who walks over to the actual gizmo.

Then you say "So, Dude, you still haz it, rite? Is it all beat up, or is it be all shiny 'n shit? Do teh lites winken blinken? Wut comes with it?"

Then he says "Um looks pretty good mang. And dig: U gots 30 days to return it No Questions Axed!"

So you say "OK, gimme!"

He says "Plastic pls!"

Really, it's legit.
Plink Floyd

Postby ElectricPuppy » Tue May 21, 2013 4:53 am

Sounds legit, bro.
ElectricPuppy
The Banned Man

Next

Return to The Hang Out.